WHAT KIND OF COAT IS THIS CALLED

mary5209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My boyfriends cat had kittens the other day. Her coat goes from completely black to silver almost white. Her paws are tipped with white. Her coat is a little thick but I don't think she is long haired. I want to know what type of coloring he/she is considered to be.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

My boyfriends cat had kittens the other day. Her coat goes from completely black to silver almost white. Her paws are tipped with white. Her coat is a little thick but I don't think she is long haired. I want to know what type of coloring he/she is considered to be.
THIS particular coloring is not true coloring, its called for  Fever coat.  The mom had probably some infection or fever when pregnant.

This is nothing dangerous now, and will disappear with time.

The kittens has apparently some white spots.  My guess is, it will be black with white, or even a black and white tuxedo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mary5209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! Could FIV cause this? I don't want to take this kitten a few months from now if I run the risk of infecting my cats

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you!! Could FIV cause this? I don't want to take this kitten a few months from now if I run the risk of infecting my cats
I have never heard it had any negative consequences, once the kitten is healthy born.

So, do your research if you want make yourself reassured, but as I know, there is no danger.   IF there is a danger so possibly just for the kitten, but as said - all them I have heard about had grown out from this fever coat, without negative consequences, and they got their true colors too.

anjayenunciates

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, never seen anything like that--its almost ombre.  Its actually really pretty--shame that it isn't the kitten's permanent coat (though I'm sure it will be a beautiful kitten no matter what its coloring).