what kind of cats do I have?

kcpo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

These two are brothers from the same litter. The mother is an ordinary black and white cat. What i cant understand is why the black one has a big grey spot on his chest and the other one seems to have white underneath his black areas and actually those black areas seem to be some kind of very dark grayish color rather than black.

I have dealt with MANY cats before and have never seen this.

What kind of cats are they and what kind of genetic backround can they possibly have that would result in these colors in them?

They are also different in build then alot of cats. They are very solid and muscular to the touch rather than fluffly and soft and they have thick necks. They are slim and tall. They are also kind of wild haha.

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, interesting!   These grayish areas, may be: either there is a dilute gene spooking in here.  OR I suspect they are really smoke.   Are they visibly more white beneath the surface, if you part aside their fur in the graish spots?  If so, its smoke.

If not, its some sort of dilution.

Not the most usual, as said, but I suppose everything must happen at least once!   :)

Blackie looks quite really as a sort of Bombay (essentially a black Burmese),  if so, I suppose the bro is too such a one.

But not necessarily the mom, although its moms colors they do carry...

Which country do you live in?   I mean, Burmese cats were quite popular in England some time ago, so I presume they are most common in England...

I hope others with ideas and insigts will answer, and I myself are inviting  a couple of members knowleable on colors:   @Biancavd   @Willowy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcpo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello StefanZ thanks for your help. The neighbors suspect the father was a solid blue male but he was a very light bluish silver color that was much lighter thab the typical grey color on stray cats. If he was the father would that provide any clues on how they got their colors?

The one that looks like a black and white cat DEFINITELY has pure white under his coat. The black one doesnt the only thing that stands out with the black one is the bih patch of grey on his neck.

Im just curious how this happebed because I have NEVER seen two cats like this before so I would love to find someone who knows exactly what caused them to look like this.

Thanks fot your time and any help is appreciated!

Oh i forgot to mention that I live on Long Island NY so pretty far from london haha but i suppose a burmese descendant is possible!

Last edited by a moderator:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tag, StefanZ ^^

From what I can see, the first one does look like a Black Smoke with White. In order to get a black smoke, one of the parents must have been either a silver or smoke him/herself. As you said, you expect the father to be a silver (blue). Looking at the kittens, it;s very likely he is the father and he has been silver. 

The second cat is a black and white. Some black cats have like 3 hairs of white, and it still counts as a "with white" cat. This white probably came from the mother, but in a less degree than the other kitten.

I hope this answers your question about colors. I'm not sure about the build etc, I hope someone else can help you with that! ;) Very lovely cats, enjoy them lots <3

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello StefanZ thanks for your help. The neighbors suspect the father was a solid blue male but he was a very light bluish silver color that was much lighter thab the typical grey color on stray cats. If he was the father would that provide any clues on how they got their colors?

The one that looks like a black and white cat DEFINITELY has pure white under his coat. The black one doesnt the only thing that stands out with the black one is the bih patch of grey on his neck.

Im just curious how this happebed because I have NEVER seen two cats like this before so I would love to find someone who knows exactly what caused them to look like this.

Thanks fot your time and any help is appreciated!
THAT sounds like a fur a typical american Russian Blue could have.   Ie essentially a diluted black.    The american type of RB are renown to have a more light nuance  of blue color than the european type.

Thus we know its no burmese nor bombay, but possibly half russians...   :)    

Its peculiar, but I dont know how the silvery hair tip typical for russians are inherited.  I should know, but I dont know.  All russians have it, but also some look alikes moggies has it.