What kind of cat does mine look like?

Rressel92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I adopted my kitty when he was very little and I get compliments on him all the time. Made me wonder ehat he is and the more digging I did the more I want to know what he is. I have a few ideas but would like to know what others think. Thanks!

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very handsome boy!

Let me guess - people say he's part Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest? So many people think they have mixes and do not. Reputable breeders would never allow that to happen plus, without pedigree papers no way of even proving if that was the case. There are times you may find a purebred cat being offered via a rescue or shelter, but that is a rarity and from what I know and have experienced if it was purebred that info would be shared with the person adopting the cat out and the papers would be given to the new owner.

He's a long hair domestic tabby - I'm not sure of the exact pattern of tabby because his fur is pretty long and it's difficult for me to make out it out though someone else more adept might be able to. I see no specific resemblance to any breed, certainly not an MC, as the entire shape of the face/ears/nose line is not breed standard nor is the coat type.

He is glorious though, and looks like he needs a lot of grooming LOL.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, I adopted my kitty when he was very little and I get compliments on him all the time. Made me wonder ehat he is and the more digging I did the more I want to know what he is. I have a few ideas but would like to know what others think. Thanks!
What a beautiful kitty. :loveeyes:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's such a handsome kitty! He reminds me of a beloved cat we had when I was a child :)

I would describe your cat as a brown tabby domestic longhair. His tabby pattern isn't apparent due to his long hair, but I would guess probably mackerel, since longhaired classic tabbies tend to have bold dark markings that give a darker impression to the body.

Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs. With longhaired tabby cats like yours, people often think that they have a resemblance to the Maine Coon, Siberian, and/or Norwegian Forest Cat breeds, because these breeds are all relatively moderate in type, and haven't changed very much from their origins as longhaired domestic cats. However, most longhaired cats are not closely related to any of these breeds.

In the case of your cat, in the profile view he has some resemblance to the Norwegian because of his relatively straight profile, but from the front view he doesn't have the triangular head shape characteristic of this breed. It's not likely that he is related to the Norwegian or to any specific breed. Like other domestic longhairs, he has his own unique combination of features that give him his own special look. Domestic longhairs are wonderful cats in their own right; he doesn't need a breed label to make him any more special :)