What kind of apples are these?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is "Honeycrisp" or "Fuji" .

A Gala apple has a disctinct honey-like sweet smell that you can smell before you even cut into it. And they are very, very crisp when you bite into it. The apple in your picture doesn't look like a Gala to me.

Other applies that it could be are: Jonagold or Braeburn

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Also, the squirrels are getting a lot of them in the day, and I'm guessing opossums and/or rats are munching on them at night. I hate finding a nice big apple with a few bites out of it!!!
What, don't you remember...

"Give me spots on my apples,
But leave me the birds and the bees!"

How old is the tree? If it's been there a while, I would bet against Gala or Fuji. Those are fairly recent hybrids. Well, not before 1964 for the Fuji, or 1974 for the Gala. And that was the first commercial plantings; home plantings would be later than that.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't know what type they are, but I often use "non" cooking apples for cooking. I just don't use cooking apples, like Granny Smith for eating raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Well I went to the grocery store yesterday and looked at the apples, and they all look the same to me, they were all green and red, stripey and with little dots. All of them!
Paler red than mine though.

I don't know how old the tree is, but the house was built in 1947. We bought it last summer, and we're only the 2nd owners! The original family really must've been into gardening, because there are so many nice established plants, cacti, succulents and trees. I love it.

Oh, here are my squashes. 2 pretty normal-size buttercups, and 2 tiny buttercups and a tiny butternut.
I will probably roast them or something, I don't really want to make a soup out of them. I did get a good sized spaghetti squash which I made a yummy casserole/bake thingy out of it a while back. Maybe I could try that with these, it'll just be cubes instead of strings.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I will say Fuji
That was my guess too..

If I were you I would buy some apple that resemble yours in the store and compare the taste to find out exactly what kind of apples you have!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

If I were you I would buy some apple that resemble yours in the store and compare the taste to find out exactly what kind of apples you have!
That's a good idea...
I just might do that, and try my hardest to find differences between the different apples.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fuji is sweet an crispy... They are usually sweeter than other apples.... They are so juicy too! They do not leave that awful sawdust fiber in your mouth that some supermarket apples do. As far as apples go, Fuji to me are just peeeeerrrrrfffect! Yum! Huuuummmm....... a cold Fuji apple in a hot day... Delish!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Fuji is sweet an crispy... They are usually sweeter than other apples.... They are so juicy too! They do not leave that awful sawdust fiber in your mouth that some supermarket apples do. As far as apples go, Fuji to me are just peeeeerrrrrfffect! Yum! Huuuummmm....... a cold Fuji apple in a hot day... Delish!
I beg to differ. I will do well with a good MacIntosh.