What Kind of Accent Do You Have?

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an English accent.... It's a London accent but not an East London accent (you know, cockney and all that stuff!
)

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say none. (I'm from South Florida) But I know I've picked up words here and there from my husband (who has a New York accent)!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purity

I don't think I have much of an accent, certainly not compared to people who live in the north of the UK or stereotypical Londoners! Just sound English I suppose (but without plums in the mouth!)
Erm, hello!, whats wrong with a Northern accent?!

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purity

I don't think I have much of an accent, certainly not compared to people who live in the north of the UK or stereotypical Londoners! Just sound English I suppose (but without plums in the mouth!)
That would be Estuary English then

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

do you have the australian accent from watching home and away and neighbours?
(i heard that you get english channels up there?)
We do get alot of english speaking shows, they just put swedish subtitles on them instead of dubbing(like in germany!!
), but I get my aussie accent because I used to live in australia!! Its not a really thick accent because my family are Brits and I have always been raised listening to british english.

My mum tells me I sound different now after living in sweden for a quite a while - You cant help but pick up a swedish accent because you have to change the way you look at words to speak it. Its really bad - I realise I am forgetting english sometimes!!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

Jus' cain't get more suthen

Actually it depends totally on the person I'm talking to. If I'm talking to a northerner, it will get REAL thick. At other times, if I'm in a pedantic mode it will tend towards more a textbook almost English sort of thingy wossname.

And yes, the accents can vary not only between regions of the South (Florida excluded) but between city and country. Some parts of Southern Alabama have what most of y'all would probably think of as the "definitive" Southern accent although to most of the rest of us it sounds rather fake; dropping a lot of endings, drawling out words and dropping r's so that "there" sounds like "theyah." Other areas will turn it into two syllables, but it would be more like "theyar" with the r pronounced.
Like in Gone with the Wind?
"I do declayer, sir, that youah the most disrespecful gentlemayan I have evah met".

I do a horrible bad movie Southern US...

I have NO ACCENT. I am Canadian

Its funny when my English family imitates me. They sound like robots

BTW, we don't all say eH? alot and we don't say "aboot" for about.
I don't know where that came from.

I can pick out southern Englanders from Northern

And I do an adequate cockney when pressed too..Or when I am trying to have a larf in the pub.

I love the lilting Irish accent..Its beautiful.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a fun thread. I've had so much fun catching up on this!!!

I was born in Rhode Island and I lived there for awhile. My momma lived there her entire life so she had a stong accent when we moved to Vermont when I was 7. I slowly lost the Rhode Island accent (dropping r's in some words but adding them into words where they don't belong ex: Pahk the cah in the garaRge). I still add random R's into words (ideaR...) and there are some words when I am really really exausted, excited to PO'd where the RI in me comes out. Other than that I think I have some Vermonter slang that I've picked up (that god awful 'wicked' that New Eng.'s say). And Now I've lived in KY for almost a year and I have family from GA and TX so there are some souther slangs that I use too out of habbit. Its easy to pick up on something and not even realize it. Soooo... I sound like a southern new englander??

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

I have a terrible Israeli accent. I think. It's such a mess really. Been taught at school by American and Australian teachers. Then at university had to take a full year of "British pronounciation"

Most Israelis can't even hear the correct pronounciation in English - can't tell the difference between "ship" and "sheep" for example, or "full" and 'fool" (is there one?). Which is also why Israelis have terrible spelling mistakes in English. The pronouciation course taught me to "hear" the difference between the different sounds, but I probably mix them up all the time when I try to talk. Fortunately most of my communications with English speakers are in writing
That's interesting, Anne. I think I know the Israeli accent -- that is, I have one example of it, and I think it is unadulterated by other influences. The Sessional who teaches Hebrew in the theological college where I work is an Israeli woman. I LOVE her accent! I think it's quite charming -- in some ways not dissimilar to French. It's her voice I hear when I read your posts.

Oh, and "full" / "fool" -- they are quite similar, but "fool" is a tighter sound, "full" is more open. The same can be said of the "ship" / "sheep" similarity. In general, I think you will find that if the vowel is single it will be a looser sound than if the vowel is doubled. Probably not hard and fast (this is English, after all
), but a good rule of thumb.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was born in the Maritimes in Canada and moved to Ontario in my late teens. I'm sure I have an accent I just don't know what it is.

I can assure you I have never said nor have I heard anyone else ever say oot and aboot in my entire life - have no idea where that came from! I do however, say "eh" but not frequently.

I've always pronounced out as "owt" and about as "abowt". I also say ahnt rather than ant for my uncle's wife. (That's a Maritime thing so I'm told.) In fact my aunt informed me one time that she is not a bug that crawls on the ground so please don't ever call her ant.

I love listening to folks with real accents, i.e., South African, Irish, Scots, British, etc. Fortunately living in the Toronto area, there are so many different languages that it's a joy to "eavesdrop" when folks are talking. I often sit in restaurants and not say much - just listen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having such a good time learning everyone's accents
So if any of you guys prank called me, I could just read this thread and narrow it down within a few people!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovemycodygirl

Half North Jersey aka New York...and half South Jersey aka Philly!
You got that right! I've always been under the impression that Philadelphiansand New Yorkers simply consider people from Jersey their "suburbanites" (though they envy Atlantic City's status as 'the Northeast's 'sin city"', and don't know what to make of the "Jersey Devil", especially when they're driving through the "Pine Barrens" at night!