What is Your First Memory, and (optional) Does That Memory Reflect Your Personality

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vinceneilsgirl - weetbix is wheat in biscuits - there is a website http://www.weetbix.com.au/ - it is popular in New Zealand with kids for breakfast. I find it disgusting
especially when people put hot water and milk on it... the smell makes me gag. its supposed to be healthy - some people eat it raw with vegemite on top - not for me, I prefer my vegemite on toast

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm, oddly enough my initial few memories was not too good. It all involve me going to school. Actually to be more precise it was a form of nursery since I knew it was not kindergarten, which I started going only at age 5-6 or was it 4-5? The nursery was not childcare centres since there was a standard fixed time for school and also I had homework. I recall I did not quite like it. But there was no specific memory just images of me in nursery.

I think one of my first few memories that had an impact on me was when I went to kindergarten. When I 'graduated' from kindergarten my teachers invited my parents to attend the ceremony. I was not told that I 'graduated' top as my teachers wanted to surprise me. But I asked my parents to go and when they asked me did I win any thing or top the class I replied, no (since I had no idea at that time.) So my parents stated if you did not win anything why should we go. I remembered those words and made a point to never ever tell them about or invite them to any more of my graduations from schools or award ceromonies, ever.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first memory is going to work with my mom (she was a librarian). She took me and my sisters to work with her, and I remember a small round kid's table where she sat me down (I was 3) and told my two sisters to read out loud to me.

I guess that has shaped my personality for I love books, and I love to write. She likes to tell how a few weeks afterward, I would pick up the book that Gwen or Nancy read me, and read out loud from it as I had memorized the words.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first memory is lying on the hardwood floor, in the dark, on my stomach with my elbows underneath me and my hands on either side of my face. two or three seconds to catch my breath, and then SCREAM!!!!!!
My grandmother used to buy everything for my cousin and I in twos, so she bought two folding siderails for our beds - one for me and one for my cousin (the kind you would fold out the legs and tuck the legs between the mattress and boxspring) Well, you guessed it, I rolled out the other side of the bed, and we found out the next day I had broken my collar-bone. I was not qiute three, so it was what they called a "green break" and didnt' require traction or a body cast, just a brace that I wore for six weeks or so.
I remember my Dad was the one who came and picked me up, and mom and dad put me between the two of them for the rest of the night. Yes, I know it was to keep safe, but THAT says a lot about their relationship; I don't know how much it says about my personality. Whatever their differences were (and there were many - they finally divorced when I was 13) they always had my best interest in mind. I know that I can always count on either of them.

wynterangel77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not actually sure which of these memories is earlier.

The one I'm in the pool at Marimore(special preschool for those with mental or physical disablities) and the teacher Joe(he's the only teacher I remember they name of) was helping me swim I was about 3...with a lifevest on...and totally enjoying it. Even with all the time in the pool there I didn't figure out how to swim till I was 7....but I've always loved swimming.

The other I was also about 3 I was in the dr's office and they were pouring HOT (mom says it was luke warm) water into my ears because I had a wax build up in my ears. To this day I have to clean my ears at least once a day...cause I can't stand having dirty ears.

katson7

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great thread!

My earliest memory is being driven to a hospital when i was 20 months old (my mum told me) I was in a high chair and there was a knock at the door, I knew my favourite uncle and auntie were coming for a visit....I pushed myself away from the table and the whole highchair, with me in it, toppled over backwards....I ended up biting my tongue pretty badly...it was nearly half way off! What I remember is driving to the hospital with my parents and uncle. They held cloth nappies (diapers) in front of my face as I was bleeding so much. I remember they were so red! My tongue is still intact now
so I guess I was pretty lucky not to have bitten it off, but I do have a groove in the middle of it to remind me of my experience!!!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My earliest memory is walking down the hall behind my brother and my mom toward her bedroom with my sister's head peeking over her shoulder. I think we were either putting her to nap or going to change her diaper. I was about 3. I remember my brother looking oh so tall...he was 5 or 6 at the time.

Sandy

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first memory is when I was about 2 or 3 I was laying in bed with my dad who worked nights, when I heard the law mower outside start. I looked out the window and must have pused agains the Screen cause next thing I remember I was hanging upside down by my foot where my dad had caught me just in time. It was a 3 story house. I would have been DOA since we lived aprox 60-70 miles from the closet ER.

blackmagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was 6 years old and my Grandpa had died. I remember going to the church and seeing him lying in the casket. Everybody was crying, especially my Dad. Even today, when I go into this church for a service, I still see my Grandpa laying there. I still get upset over it.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first memory I have is of my 4th birthday party. My baby sister was there and I resented having to share MY day with her. I don't think that says much about me though because I love her now (only took 32 years! *joke*). I don't even like celebrating my birthday now because I don't like being the center of attention (which is the opposite of that first memory!).

cazx01

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my first memory was my first birthday...(i think) i just remember sitting in a high chair with a cake, with a monkey on the front, with one candle in the middle...thats why i assume it was my first birthday, its so weird little things like that what stick in your mind, when i can hardly remember what i done yesterday!!! lol

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just realized I have another memory from when I was about one. I don't remember it that often, though. I was in my highchair in the kitchen in our house in Elsinore, UT and I was smashing glasses on the floor. My Mom was down in the cellar at the time and when she came up she found that I had smashed nearly her entire Southern Comfort set (if you've seen them they have turquoise pictures on them with gold rims and I think we have 2 Tom Collins and 1 jigger glass left). She also got glass in one of her feet because she was barefoot and later on her foot had what looked like a black spider web on it because she couldn't get all of it out and she had to go to the doctor.

I'm not that destructive anymore! Guess I'm lucky to still be around, eh?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Victor, you're not the youngest. I know of at least six people who're younger then you on this site.

I think my first memory was from when I was about three. I had just been dropped off at Nanas and I walked in too see my little bf, holding nanas new puppy. Hehe I remember that day crystal clear.
I love reading everyones first memories.