What is your favorite breed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine why somebody would think the curl gene was manmade. People know the fold gene is also a spontaneous mutation, as well as Manxes without tails.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>

If I would believe a vet, I would have 2 Persians (BLHs), a Burmese (BSH) and European (Foldie)..
 (<--not sure if I should laugh or cry).
When I caught up with my missing Havana (chocolate oriental) kitten I found the vet had thought he might be a Burmese!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine why somebody would think the curl gene was manmade. People know the fold gene is also a spontaneous mutation, as well as Manxes without tails.
Not john q public.  I had an elderly woman so upset she was spitting as she talked to me - I was showing in Madison Square garden and she asked me how I could do that.  Do  what??  She thought I had had their ears cut for show.  I told her, perhaps way too bluntly which I regret, that she should take it up with God as he had made this breed.  In those early years, no one knew much about the Curl breed, so yes, there were folks who thought this was like a dog with cropped ears!

Last edited:

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume there also are people who think Manxes, bobtails, and pixiebobs had their tails partially amputated.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

If I would believe a vet, I would have 2 Persians (BLHs), a Burmese (BSH) and European (Foldie).. (

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a lot of cat breeds  as well as randombred domestic cats , but my favorite breed is Siamese,  both the old style with foreign body type that are now shown in TICA as "Thai"  (and are called "Wichienmaat"  in their country of origin)  ....... &  the modern style with oriental body type .  

Since I like Siamese I also like the very closely related breeds like Oriental and Balinese . 

I also like the other breeds that come from the native breeds of Thailand , Suphalak/Thong Daeng   (Burmese),  Si Sawat  ( Korat)  and Khao-manee 

I like Abys a lot too.

Re vets,  unless they themeselves are involved in the cat fancy they usually don't know much about breeds of cats.    They have plenty to know about anatomy, disease, surgery, medicine, dentristy, etc. - and for multiple species .... they dont spend much time learning about the nuances of cat breeds....  and with moggies being something like 97% of cats,  thats also mostly what vets see.
A lot of vets think all pointed shorthair cats are "Siamese".  . although, there are  many pointed moggies who are probably less than 1% Siamese. 

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I noticed every shorthaired pointed cat is called a Siamese. I have been guilty of doing it myself once: When a mom and kittens with short hair and the Birman pattern were under my care, I assumed, knowing Birmans have long fur, they were Siamese + something else. Not too long ago, I saw a picture of a pointed snowshoe and thought, "Those office cats I called Siamese probably were snowshoes." I will never know for sure, of course.

Vets may not know much about breed profiles, but I am sure they could tell you Mother Nature made the curled or folded ears and a tailless cat is a Manx.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them all (I also volunteered at a local no-kill).

But to preference, I'd go with a Russian Blue and a Turkish Van. Both are wonderful sweet cats with an intelligent playfulness and companionship.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also a breed called a European shorthair. I guess they are similar to American shorthairs. Of course, coming from Finland, I wouldn't expect you to see an ASH. There are also cat breeds that do not exist in the U.S. with foreign names I had never seen before.

Where did you get "Foldie" from? Everyone calls them Scottish Fold over here because that is what they are.
Lol, yes I know there is a breed called European Shorthair. It's called an European over here where it originates from. I have a friend who breeds them. And coming from Finland, why wouldn't I see ASHs? You've seen Norwegian Forest Cats, Russian Blues and Siberians probably..?  We do have TICA (which is where my prefix id registered in) and CFA here, although FIFé is still the main registry. I don't see how ASHs would be much different than Toygers or Thais, which I have seen and are being bred here even if they belong to a 'non-European cat registry'.

My point was that they are not common everywhere, it is not popular breed for example over here at all. Our 'most common breeds' list only has FIFé breeds in it, but I wouldn't say the breeds listed are all that common at all, for example Cornish Rex, 6th on the list following BSHs. I see much more Bengals and RUS than Cornish Rexes, but neither of the those breeds are on the top 10 (which is weird).

Foldie is a nickname for the breed Scottish Fold used by 'fans', owners and breeders, like meezer for Siamese etc. They don't have an EMS code in FIFé 'cause the breed is not recognized there, so it's shorther to just type Foldie instead of Scottish Fold.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looooove Maine Coons. I would love to own one but they don't seem to come cheap. They are just so big and fluffy!! 

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Manx totally tail less cat since his back legs are much higher than his front legs when he's standing. Best laid back disposition in a male cat I've ever seen. Totally calm at the vet too.

Since my cat is 15 years old, I know he's getting up there in age and one day he'll pass over the Rainbow Bridge. With that said, I don't favor one particular cat breed and when Tiger passes on, I'm considering the following breeds.

Manx

Pixie Bob

Desert Lynx (not a throw away straight eared Highland Lynx since Highland Lynx normally have curled ears)

Ocicat

Egyptian Mau

Chausie

Cheetoh

Of course, if I happened to find a friendly plain old brown ticked domestic shorthaired mackerel tabby, male or female, this cat would make my list too.

Last edited:

izzybees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the big stocky cats (Main Coons, Siberians, Rag Dolls, etc.). If I had the money my house would be full of them! :lol3:
But, I love my Manx (shelter cat with no papers, but it's just so obvious when you look at him) and my "dainty" little DSH Torbie just as much. ;) :rbheart:

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wilbur was definitely part Manx, but his tail was close to full length. But he had an American shorthair head and a Japanese bobtail purrsonality. There was probably a fourth breed as well that I could never figure out.

While volunteering at a shelter, I saw a rumpy and a stumpy sharing one room. Another volunteer asked me what happened to the rumpy's tail.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wilbur was definitely part Manx, but his tail was close to full length. But he had an American shorthair head and a Japanese bobtail purrsonality. There was probably a fourth breed as well that I could never figure out.
Really is quite impossible to think a pedigree Manx escaped, ran into a pedigree ASH on the loose, their kitten then ran into a pedigree JB and also a 4th pedigree a gen later.

The amount of pedigree cats really is such a small %, perhaps 2-3% of the cat population that the chance of any moggies having pedigree in them is next to nothing.

Tailless kittens show up in strays, doesn't make them a pedigree Manx.

Last edited:

thekittysaver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only breeds I have lived with are domestic. So I guess I don't know what my favorite breed is as far as how they behave. I would love to have a Savannah Cat like the one in my photo. I've always been facinated with wild cats.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really is quite impossible to think a pedigree Manx escaped, ran into a pedigree ASH on the loose, their kitten then ran into a pedigree JB and also a 4th pedigree a gen later.

The amount of pedigree cats really is such a small %, perhaps 2-3% of the cat population that the chance of any moggies having pedigree in them is next to nothing.

Tailless kittens show up in strays, doesn't make them a pedigree Manx.
I never said anything about pedigree. Where did you get that from?

From shoulders to hips, Wilbur looked like a Manx. It is unmistakable - back end noticeably higher than the front end and a wider, round body. But his head was identical to Patricia's - flat top, round cheeks, square chin, slight curve on the nose, almond-shaped eyes, and straight ears. That is the description of an ASH head. So it is impossible to truthfully state just because pedigree cats can't mate pedigrees of other breeds, there is no way an ASH, a Manx, a JB, and something else did not somehow come together in the form of a male gray and white tabby.