What is your experience with Cerenia side effects

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The stray I took in a month ago started vomiting yesterday and has really bad diarrhea, after 24 hours it did not clear up so I took him to the vet today, he got a Cerenia injection to stop the vomiting and now is exhibiting 2 of the side effects of it, lethargy and now he does not want to eat. Has anyone had the same experience and if so how long do the side effects last? X-ray and blood work did not show anything unusual but they found a small amount of Clostridium in the poop so he is now on Metronidazole and some probiotic.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nobel had cerenia a few times.

I found that the lethargy and not wanting to eat was more a side effect of going to the vet. Usually the cerenia worked within 24 hours and he was feeling much better.

I think when you're nauseous, a cat ride makes it worse. Even for cats

Whenever I had to give him oral meds his mood stayed low from the consistent stress.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it continues then I would definitely consider it a side effect of medicine..but remember it's very stressful and tiring for a cat to go to the vet. Especially when already sick.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreeing with everything A Alldara says. I can add that Edwina has taken Cerenia (pills) fairly regularly in recent months and does well on it (meaning very little or no vomiting) but it does seem to make her a little lethargic, a little less hungry, and a little blah. That said, the weather has been stressful for her, too: hot and humid, which has similar effects.

Personally, I'd be more wary about the Metronidazole, which is a very strong medicine that can also have side effects.

I hope your cat feels better soon, Binxie Binxie !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yesterday he slept most of the day and night, he is up and around the house today but a little slower than usual, no vomiting and the diarrhea is getting better, we have pudding consistency now instead of water.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, yesterday he slept most of the day and night, he is up and around the house today but a little slower than usual, no vomiting and the diarrhea is getting better, we have pudding consistency now instead of water.
That's good improvement.