What is your dental routine for your cat?

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to figure out what a good dental hygiene routine is for a kitty. That's a new subject to me, being that I've never known anybody who got their cat a dental cleaning or brushed their kitty's teeth! So I'd love to hear input on the subject.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only brush my cats teeth after their monthly bath and nail trim. I'm saving up for dental cleanings they are 3 yrs old . Planning to take them when I get some extra money. My fridge and air conditioner both went out this week so it will be awhile sadly.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brush my cat's teeth a few days a week, and also feed raw chicken wings a few days a week. The combination of both seems to be working!

I use CET Poultry toothpaste which my cat thinks is a treat, so it makes brushing her teeth a little better :)

Dental health is very important! I highly recommend to start brushing/introduce the idea of brushing as early as possible.

catanalyst

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brush my cat's teeth about once a week. I could get away with doing it more often, because she actually loves it! I use this CET kit. It came with the poultry toothpaste, a finger brush, and a regular toothbrush. The toothpaste doesn't really smell like chicken to me, but the cat loves the taste. I tried using the finger brush initially, but she kept trying to gnaw on it, so I switched to the regular toothbrush. She still tries to chew on it, but at least it doesn't have my finger inside. I start off letting her lick the toothpaste, then start brushing one side. She usually just opens her mouth and tries to eat the toothpaste while I focus on brushing. Then I reward her with a treat. I repeat the process for both sides, top and bottom, and give her a treat each time. After I'm all done, I give her a final treat and lots of praise. My cat might be an anomaly though, because she's so food-motivated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I ended up getting a cat toothbrushing kit and also buying a cat dental spray. 

As part of our before bed routine, I brush the cats' teeth every night and also spray dental spray on them. I've found that the brush that fits over my finger works better than a conventional cat toothbrush.

I'm also considering a dental cleaning for my older cat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm finding it pretty easy to brush the cats' teeth. Actually my 3 year old is more difficult than them!

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I brush my cats' teeth at least every other day.  One of them loves it so much that he comes begging for the toothbrush every day at the appointed time. That CET poultry toothpaste is a serious piece of kitty crack!  I was careful to train them by giving them special treats and/or attention afterwards, but it appears that letting them take a lick of toothpaste before & after brushing is reward enough.

One of the cats had clear gingivitis at his one year checkup.  It's now gone, so I'm hoping that I won't have to deal with dental cleanings anytime soon.  I had tried feeding raw meat chunks, chicken necks & ribs etc.  I'm sure that it helps some cats, but it didn't prevent the problems with mine.  I feed them the chunks just  for extra insurance though.