What is wrong with my cat??

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jennifer73

UPDATE:

We took him to the vet. He was not a happy camper.. they took his temperature, and it was 105
and that was what was causing the shock-like symptoms. They suspected some kind of cat fight, and they said that he has an abscess somewhere, but there was no swelling or blood so we didn't know where it was. He gave him an injection, and said he would be feeling better soon.. then he gave us some antibiotics to give in the morning, and said he would be fine to stay alone overnight.. (my mom should be back on Sunday morning)

I am really glad that he's okay! I don't know what I would do if I lost him..
So glad he is okay - well, more okay than not. You say you don't know much about cats but you have great instincts it seems

My Seb was an indoor/outdoor cat for the first 10 years of his life. I moved to a place he could not go outside and he has been okay. He didn't like it at first but he accepts it. Maybe you could keep your guy in more often?
Seb went through a few abcesses. It comes from fighting with other cats for territory. The infection can kill them if not seen to right away.
Also, if he isn't neutered that may help. Although Seb doesn't seem to know he is

Please do share photos when your guy feels better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

So glad he is okay - well, more okay than not. You say you don't know much about cats but you have great instincts it seems

My Seb was an indoor/outdoor cat for the first 10 years of his life. I moved to a place he could not go outside and he has been okay. He didn't like it at first but he accepts it. Maybe you could keep your guy in more often?
Seb went through a few abcesses. It comes from fighting with other cats for territory. The infection can kill them if not seen to right away.
Also, if he isn't neutered that may help. Although Seb doesn't seem to know he is

Please do share photos when your guy feels better!
Yeah.. he would hate to be in permanently. So I will let him have a couple hours during the day. He can't live without his daily naps in the sunshine lying on the hammock.
Haha! I will definitely bring him in from now on at night.. no matter how bad he wants out! He is neutered. We do get a lot of random cats here.. we have a lot of cat fights. I don't know where they all come from.. we have almost no neighbors.. (I live on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere) the only two neighbors I have don't have cats.

I will get some pictures once he feels better.. here's a couple of him:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...istmas1668.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...istmas1664.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ger/ya1554.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ictures501.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!! Do you think it is okay to feed him? He won't willingly go over to the food bowl, but he will happily eat it out of my hands. He still is not interested in water....
He seems to be feeling much better, though.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'd feed him some from your hands, and see if he'll take water that way too. Probably in the next day or so (I'd say you'll see an improvement tomorrow, most likely), he'll be eating by himself, but maybe not as much as he usually does.

Just a thought here, and I know it's not what he's used to, and cats, of course, don't always make the best decisions for themselves... just ask mine who keeps running out the door under the scathing eye of the red tailed hawks... you might consider getting him one of those doggie leashes that retract (for a small dog) and a kitty harness. It's how we take ours out, and that way we can keep track of them. It still worries me here, though, with the birds of prey. They're not really scared off by humans around here.

I also saw a really cool little thingy that is sort of like a dog pen but for cats. If I had the tools, it looks like it's pretty easy to make... basically it's small chicken wire, boards and nails... just made into a pen with a top on it. Of course, that probably sounds a little extreme, but then I'm a lunatic about my kitties, and I probably spend more than any normal human does on the little buggers. It would be something I would consider, though, and given that you guys have other animals there and it sounds like maybe it's a farm.. thought someone might be handy with tools.

I'm so glad that he's okay, and that the vet figured out what it was without any problems. I'm so happy that he's doing better. You did a really good job of recognizing that something healthwise was wrong with him. Sometimes people just say, "I don't understand why my cat is mean suddenly" and have no idea that it could be related to pain. Anyway, I just wanted to say that because I think you have good instincts.