What Is Wrong With My Cat (very Frustrated)

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pardon my bad English Im not American citizen but I would still love to get some help here. My cat is 12 years old girl. My cat has started to cough hairballs more often without any success to pulling them off. My cat was food maniac before but now his appetite has been decreased a lot and now she only eats when I give him food near him. She has also started loss weight and my cat does not poop or pee normal level. She looks very tired and he does not like company anymore. When I go near him he just walk away. So we did send him in vet. They did check my cat body and took blood sample. They did not find any tumor from my cat body and the blood sample was normal. They found a lot of tartar from my cat tooth but they fixed it. At last they gave us hypoallergenic cat diet for the hairball problem but problem is my cat does not eat it much because of the bad apatite and the low amount has not improved his health. Im just frustrated and Its so painful to see him struggling every day.

So can any explain what wrong with my cat? Im going to send him in vet soon.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Your English is fine :)
Can you brush your cat more? Can you find some plain pumpkin or even a little butter once or twice a week, warmed up a little bit can help with the hairballs.
Maybe I can provide some things that may tempt him to eat, depending on availability for you;

Sometimes using a finger feeding method can work also where you either put some food on your finger and let him lick it off, or even gently tuck some food inside his cheek.

Try making this;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave. Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A shot glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • chamomile tea, made from the little bags only, a couple cooled tablespoons a couple times a day in water or food, can help a stressed cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Your English is fine :)
Can you brush your cat more? Can you find some plain pumpkin or even a little butter once or twice a week, warmed up a little bit can help with the hairballs.
Maybe I can provide some things that may tempt him to eat, depending on availability for you;

Sometimes using a finger feeding method can work also where you either put some food on your finger and let him lick it off, or even gently tuck some food inside his cheek.

Try making this;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave. Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A shot glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • chamomile tea, made from the little bags only, a couple cooled tablespoons a couple times a day in water or food, can help a stressed cat
Thank you for a lot of advice and I will read all of those receipts soon as possible. This is like first time when she cannot get rid of those hairballs. So my worst fear is if the hairballs has stuck in his stomach. I heard that is very bad thing and will require some kinda of surgery? I really really hope there are some better and not life treating methods to get rid of his hairballs.

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:( I will take my cat tommow in vet and I hope its not too late so save my cat. SHE has been not eating almost anything for 3 days. Very skinny, no energy, does not like any company, hiding in bed. It seems she have serious life treating hairball blockage... :( I really hope she does not die... can someone give me hopeful news? Its too late save him? Will Laxative treatment or surgery help? Are surgery big risk?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try anything for the hairballs like hairball treats or paste?
I would also have the vet check for worms.

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you try anything for the hairballs like hairball treats or paste?
I would also have the vet check for worms.
We tried everything vet gave us.. but his appetite has been decreasing every single day. Now it so bad that he will not eat anything.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you remember what the vet gave you? What have you tried so far?

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you remember what the vet gave you? What have you tried so far?

He gave us hypoallergenic food diet but my cat cannot eat them much. He also gave us antespin but it does not work and she rarely eat them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about something specifically for hairballs? There are hairball treats, paste, and also Indoor dry food has hairball stuff in it.

I would also make sure your cat has been treated for roundworms and tapeworms, those caused lack of appetite in my cats.

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about something specifically for hairballs? There are hairball treats, paste, and also Indoor dry food has hairball stuff in it.

I would also make sure your cat has been treated for roundworms and tapeworms, those caused lack of appetite in my cats.
Whe have not tried them yet but the problem right now is she is refusing to eat anything. When she breathes..my cat is doing very weird noises.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if the hairball stuff would help remove the hairball and then she would want to eat? Of course check with your vet first.

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now he is breathing with mouth which is very bad sign :(

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WTF My cat died.. :(.. he is getting seisure.s... what I cAN DO about h im_)=((/

abbas altake

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat died yesterday. I think she died from Asthma attack and struggled a lot. My vet basically killed him. He said everything was fine! When his condition got worse by week. I called him.. He said just wait 3 weeks and try to feed the same diet he gave us. Now she is death because my vet.. The vet didint take my words as warning sing. Im sooo pissed right now..............When I called him today he did not offer any sympathy. Did not ask anything about him. I just wanna die. This event has traumatized me very badly.