What is wrong with her lip?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she has feline eosinophilic granuloma. Which is basically an allergic reaction to something. Process of elimination is only way to figure out what it is. And since I have not changed anything since I got her, I basically have to change every or do it one at a time. So he have her flea meds, but she doesn't have fleas.
One thing I know I have added recently is a toy that has catnip and silver vine in it. I suppose I could take that away for now, before I change everything else. She's too young for steroids so no meds.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree about not jumping into steriods at any point if you can figure this out. Starting with the catnip and silver vine would be good, especially if you think that is within the time frame of this starting. From there you can eliminate more if needed.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, thinking back, I noticed her lip looked kinda funny on the same day I brought her new toy home. It was sucha subtle thing, I thought she was just puffed up and excited from the toy. I hope it is just the toy! That would be so easy. She is currently eating blue wilderness kitten food. I do have melamine bowls. I thought I was ordering ceramic. Idk if I should switch those out now or not.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet if it's a rat/rodent ulcer I think that's what it's called, years ago my mom's friend cat had something like this and her friend said it was a rat/rodent ulcer after I asked what it was,

Unsure how it starts or how it's treated best of luck

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet if it's a rat/rodent ulcer I think that's what it's called, years ago my mom's friend cat had something like this and her friend said it was a rat/rodent ulcer after I asked what it was,

Unsure how it starts or how it's treated best of luck
Yes that is exactly what it was and she ended up having to take antibiotics. I narrowed down to her silvervine toy. However, she is getting another bump now and I have not given her silvervine, but I did start giving her canned food. I gave her fancy feast turkey. However, I also started giving her wheat grass. I'm so frustrated now. Do you think it is the wheat grass or the canned food??

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be unusual but not impossible for canned food to be the culprit. I would have a think about everything that she comes into contact with...plants, your perfume or body lotion, soap you wash your hands in. Dont be disheartened, something is causing it and although it may take a little time you will find what it is, just remove/ change one thing at a time.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would be unusual but not impossible for canned food to be the culprit. I would have a think about everything that she comes into contact with...plants, your perfume or body lotion, soap you wash your hands in. Dont be disheartened, something is causing it and although it may take a little time you will find what it is, just remove/ change one thing at a time.
Yes I am thinking it must either be the grass or canned food. I literally just started both of those this week. I was trying to do good by switching her from dry food to wet food. She has been eating a limited ingredient food green pea and duck. So who knows. A while back I got her a toy and it had silvervine and she almost immediately started getting another sore, so I took it away and the sore went away just as quick. So I still think she is allergic to silvervine.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could the silvervine be on some of her other toys?
No. She definitely does not have any toys in the house with silvervine. I check really well before purchasing. The other toy that she had, I gave to the neighbor. It's frustrating too because that particular line seems to have quality toys and they're cute too, but they all have silvervine.
I'm wondering if it is maybe the wheat in the fancy feast. I was giving her the grilled turkey instead of the turkey pate which is recommended a lot as far as fancy feast goes I think.
I just read that wheat grass doesn't have wheat gluten so I'm thinking it's not the grass. I don't know. 😭