What is WRONG with fastfood workers???

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Yeah, fast food places suck and customer service has gone by the wayside. One day a couple weeks ago I stopped at Burger King for a burger. I hadn't been there in probably 2 years because I've been eating better. I went through the drive through and I asked what was on a new burger they had listed. The woman was obviously irritated. Then I asked how much it was (I had been working 11 hours and up since 3:00 A.M. and my eyes were a bit blurry). She rudely told me to look on the menu, the price is there. What a B&%$#!! When I drove up to the window She handed me my food and I told her thanks for nothing. I hadn't been there in 2 years and won't be again. And she had a managers outfit on.
I NEVER go though the drive thru. I always go in, and when we order from McDonalds I always ask them to cook fresh french fries. I tell them I drive across town just to get their french fries, I also tell them I pass 5 fast food places on the way. They have never refused to cook my french fries. They might not like it, but they cook them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I NEVER go though the drive thru. I always go in, and when we order from McDonalds I always ask them to cook fresh french fries. I tell them I drive across town just to get their french fries, I also tell them I pass 5 fast food places on the way. They have never refused to cook my french fries. They might not like it, but they cook them.
And they also spit in them

luvslive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
interesting conversation.
I worked in a deli, a restraunt and also in a department store. And I REALLY don't miss any of them! I am usually super nice to service people, even if they seem a little not so nice. As a service worker I would try to enjoy interactions with customers. There were a few times when I found myself engaging a negative customer in a small spat. And I don't think I'll ever forget those awful moments. But usually if someone had a bad attitude I would simply try to observe their behaviour for a great re-enactment in the break room. Knowing you can share your experiences with others and have a laugh even makes it a bit more bearable. Its like a competition of who had the oddest customer that day.

luvslive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And now to share one of those infrequent "spats"
I was working the register at the discount department store. The pay was $6 an hour. I was folding an older womans' clothing purchase. Mostly really huge men's pants, really baggy and hard to fold because they were practically taller than myself. Anyhow there were a ton of them, so I started to fold them 2 at a time...back to back. There was a line of customers forming too. They were just jeans and were going to end up in a large sack anyway. The woman says to her daughter "Look at how shes folding, I could do a much better job". Now what I should have said was "Really? Would you mind helping me?" But...I told her I could get her an application at the service counter!! I can't believe I did that! She snapped back "I have a good paying job, don't need to work at a place like this". She did not say it nicely. So I returned with "I am student teaching right now so I don't have to work here anymore". That was the end of it. It is hard to believe this even happened! Luckily she didn't continue the argument and I was on best behaviour after that.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a people person, which is why I do these kinds of jobs while I'm in school, but yes, the most annoying thing is the better-than-you attitude that most people seem to have. They seem to think that just because you work retail, that is it the "only job you could get" and they don't understand that you might actually enjoy the work, until you come across jerks like them.

That said, customer service does stink sometimes... I find it comes mostly from teenagers who aren't taught how to be pleasant to the public. I agree with the other posters... it is usually management's fault in the end.

mrvlad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't count the number of times I have ordered something from a fast food place, and they forget something in it. I used to go home, realise they missed something, and go all the way back. I'm not going to be jipped.

Now I just check right when I get it. Though one time they had me pull up to wait for it, and when they brought it something was missing but they had already went back in and someone was at the window spot. I had to drive back next to the car at the window. I waited for them and signaled to them inside. It was a little embarassing, but I was in pajama bottoms and wasn't getting out of the car.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

HEY!! you talkin bout me???
Nope! Gail, you're a CAT person, and we all know that cat people are definitely NOT miserable.
Our cats won't let us be miserable - they keep us laughing too much to be miserable.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

That said, customer service does stink sometimes... I find it comes mostly from teenagers who aren't taught how to be pleasant to the public. I agree with the other posters... it is usually management's fault in the end.
hah...I find that most teenagers are generally polite when I help them. Maybe they feel bad for me?

I noticed that ironically, Christmas is the worst time for it (in retail when I work customer service, at least)! Geesh...talk about missing the point of the season!

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think most people working at a fast food place are only working there because they don't have a better option. To be honest, I don't expect exceptional service from a place where I am getting a 99 cent cheeseburger. I worked fast food when I was in high school and it was just a job to make some money until I could get a better job.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had many bad experiences of this sort, but I did have one a couple years back with a waitress at a Swiss Chalet. John, Jennifer and I were on our way back from vacation and stopped for dinner. The waitress was less than good. I heard her ranting to a co-worker that she hadn't been getting very good tips (and I later learned why). She ASSUMED my hubby was paying so she gave him great service. She didn't even bother to take my main course dishes away - just his and Jennifer's before bringing dessert. She was barely civil to me. When she brought our bill over, my honey turned and passed it to me and said, "Thanks hon for treating us today". Her jaw just about hit her chest. I left NO tip. When she came to collect the tray I stopped her before she left and told her the reason she didn't get a tip. She just shrugged and said it didn't matter. (But I know it did!
)

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being on both sides of the counter I understand both aspects of it. If you're having a bad day and you start to take it out on someone else, then well, you've just started a horrible chain that will continue until they leave the place for the day. I know I have had HORRIBLE people in our store and it just makes me so mad which in turn makes it hard to even fake being in a good mood to people. On the other side of the counter, if you're polite and don't bark at them because they are not understanding you, then everything will be fine. When I say" I'm sorry my battery died(in drive thru)" some people will just restart their orders no problem, others will snap and start speaking louder, and enunciating like I'm stupid or something, Which in turn makes me want to do it back, but I bite my tongue. Some customers can be just horrible to restaurant workers but what they fail to realize is that some won't take it and WILL spit in your food( not at my restaurant but I know of other places which I won't tell) Or pick something off the floor and give it to you, or something nasty like that.
I never bark an order at someone when I order food somewhere, I use please and thank you constantly(politeness goes a long way) and I always tip extra for good service. I think that you should treat others like you want to be treated. I want to post a sign at our store that says "have a bad day somewhere else" but the boss won't let me. I also was thinking of, "don't take your day day out on us." again I was told no. Dh got the movie "waiting" and when I watched it, I just about died! It's hilarious and for some places describes what they do in the back room of a restaurant (but not that extereme)It is very naughty though so it's not recommended for little kids. But it reminds me of the life of a restuarant worker to a point.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Oh, now that sounds like something my father would do! I can see him doing something like this:

Dad: Ma'am, I'm sorry, but are you having a bad day today?

Rude woman: No, why do you ask?

Dad (smiling - you know, that "kill her with kindness" thing): Well, you were pretty rude to me earlier, so I wanted to know if it was a one time thing, or if you're just a miserable old bitty all the time. Have a great day!

*walks away smiling while the woman picks her jaw up off the floor*
I would never actually say this, but I might just ask her if she needed some Midol or something. And if she asked why I would say that she is so crabby that she must be going thru PMS!!