What Is With My Cat?

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She does this every morning. She'd meow and cry as loud as she can then when I get up, whether it be to get her or to go to the bathroom... She runs and hides! She hides under the bed or runs away from me and cowers in the corner. It's as if she knows she did something wrong but is still doing it anyways!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are phenomenal little energy sponges, and they sense our emotions sometimes before we even are aware of them ourselves (or so it seems). I imagine that when you get up, you're feeling a bit impatient with her, and she responds to that. I will say that every time you do get up in response to her meowing, you are reinforcing that behavior, and giving her a payoff. The only long-term solution is to totally ignore it (or at least pretend to).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sammiches

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are phenomenal little energy sponges, and they sense our emotions sometimes before we even are aware of them ourselves (or so it seems). I imagine that when you get up, you're feeling a bit impatient with her, and she responds to that. I will say that every time you do get up in response to her meowing, you are reinforcing that behavior, and giving her a payoff. The only long-term solution is to totally ignore it (or at least pretend to).
I usually ignore it but the times I have to go to the bathroom because I woke up, that part can't be ignored. Same result though. Lately I trained her to run to a specific spot, maybe she picked up on it already because it involves petting lol.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'll bet it does! Hekitty has me quite trained, I'm afraid. I know what to do, but actually doing it with my own furball has been hit and miss. She's smarter than I am, and far, far more stubborn! LOL, when Hekitty wants me up, she sits on my chest, sticks her paw in my mouth, and jerks my cheek. There is no ignoring that, or even pretending to!