What is this?!

MszHolmes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
New here! I have a cat who has always strictly been in indoor cat all 3 years of her life until recently. About 2 months ago she went out for the first time and sometimes she’d stay out a day or two and then come home. The last time she went out was Father’s Day she was gone for almost 2 weeks… at this time when she went missing we already thought she might of been pregnant from going out the first few times cause of how much weight she gained and this time when she came home she was HUGE like she’d been eating 3x a day for 2 weeks straight and she really was only eating once a day if that.. we finally had a neighbor post her and we went to get her she was extremely stressed. Was whining like crazy and was very skittish at first like she went through a bad time out there! The neighbor however lived right behind us and had been feeding her. After a day of being home she was starting to be herself again but was still kind of stand off ish towards her sister cat. Anyways, long story short she has been bleeding off and on for 11 days. First it was very light and unnoticeable. I only noticed because of her blanket in her nesting box. Then after a day or so it became like a brown mucus color and kind of thick. So today my husband had noticed this!! (Picture attached) what is this?! Is this her mucus plug or is she having a miscarriage?! She also ATE IT! I must add she is acting a bit strange as in pacing a lot but other than that she is perfectly fine! She has been eating & drinking. Wants belly rubs and lots of attention. She is actively going to and from her nesting box. It was never confirmed she was pregnant we just assumed due to weight gain and the way her belly looked. I called the vet & they suggest we bring her in in case she is having a miscarriage but I do not have the extra funds this week and I’m terrified she may get worse over time… also I would like to add if she is pregnant, this would be her 2nd litter. Any help or if anyone knows what this possibly could be would be great as when she was pregnant the first time she wasn’t even a year old & she never looked pregnant so when she gave birth that’s when I found out she was for sure pregnant but I never noticed blood in the house anywhere but at that time she didn’t have a blanket she laid on constantly or anything I would of noticed it on. PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MszHolmes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I was wondering the same thing. But would the cat still be inside her or what? I’m so confused.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she ate it it was surely a miscarriage. But she may still have alive foetuses inside and will hopefully deliver them.

The thing to play it safe is to let a good vet knowleable with obstetrics check her up, but if you cant so you cant.

MszHolmes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m trying to find a vet to work with me just in case. But right now she is sleeping with her sister cat in the window instead of her nesting box. She has ate and drink and ate too since then. So I’m going to get a second opinion as well from the other vets.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ StefanZ that it is a miscarriage of a deformed fetus. Cats often eat what they expel. It is an instinct from the wild, where they want to leave no scent for predators.

Also, she probably has healthy kittens inside to deliver when they and her body are ready.

Is your cat still bleeding?

How about keeping your cat 100% inside from now on and getting her spayed after this litter weans. There must be low-cost spay options in your area.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats - A Complete Guide - TheCatSite

MszHolmes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m hoping she still does have more inside. There didn’t seem to be an umbilical cord attached to the placenta.

She is currently bleeding again. She is pacing back and forth from the window with her sister to her water bowl & I been keeping a close eye on her & she is currently having contractions again from what I can tell..

She hasn’t been outside since. The last time she got out was a pure accident of my husband leaving garage door open & she ran out & she didn’t come home at all. We watched our security cameras day and night and finally someone in our area posted her.

We already have planned to get her spayed after she gives birth to them. Just don’t know exactly when she would be due so I haven’t scheduled it for her. I found a place that if I bring her & her sister in to get fixed at same time it’s much much cheaper. So once she can, we will definitely be doing that!

MszHolmes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has stopped bleeding since yesterday. She ate this morning when I fed her and her sister. After that they played and now she is chilling by my back sliding door. I haven’t noticed any more blood anywhere or anything since after losing that yesterday maybe for an hour after and then finally she just stopped altogether like nothing happened.