What is this on my cat's skin?

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

So Momo was spayed in December and her incision site had healed generally well. She developed a mild skin issue (vet said it was a random fungal/bacterial issue and not ringworm) two weeks after spaying. At this time, her incision itself was healed, but this infection developed around the incision site. During her recovery period, vet has prescribed antibiotics, which I gave her properly.

After developing this skin issue, I took her to the vet and she prescribed a mixed treatment of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial cream. Just a few days ago, after I saw that the infection had cleared up and there was no issue, I stopped the treatment. Yesterday I noticed this. It looks different from the earlier infection, which was a typical fungal ring type formation on the skin. This is more like small, raised bumps. It doesn't seem to be itchy (she doesn't lick it as such), just red.

Any ideas?

I am continuing the same two creams, one for fungal infection and one for bacterial infection. Shall I wait for a few days and see if it clears up?

During my earlier visit, the vet had checked her incision, and she also concluded that she is healed from within. So this was just a topical skin issue.

I checked Momo yesterday, there is nothing else on the rest of her body. Nor do my other cats have any such skin issue. Any ideas on what this could be?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could it be a skin rash from your cat licking the spot?
It could be. What can I do for rash? Baby diaper rash cream? Or something else? Can I use some home remedies? Or a visit to vet is needed?

Also, just to note, the vet had said no need to put collar during the infection. She had instructed me to rub the cream into the skin for a minute and pat dry with a paper towel. So the vet said a collar is not needed. Shall I put a collar on her?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is prone to licking her skin whenever the vet shave her for a blood sampling.
On a couple of occasions she developed a similar reaction from her obsessive licking, and I could see her do that.
Did you ever catch her doing something like that?

I put a collar on my cat, but she couldn't stand it. I also put a vest on her, but it was even worse.
So I tried a soothing cream for a few days. The cream that the vet advised was a natural one, with Hypericum, which has a very bitter taste so that my cat wouldn't lick it off.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is prone to licking her skin whenever the vet shave her for a blood sampling.
On a couple of occasions she developed a similar reaction from her obsessive licking, and I could see her do that.
Did you ever catch her doing something like that?

I put a collar on my cat, but she couldn't stand it. I also put a vest on her, but it was even worse.
So I tried a soothing cream for a few days. The cream that the vet advised was a natural one, with Hypericum, which has a very bitter taste so that my cat wouldn't lick it off.
She is separated right now as she is not integrated into the cat family yet. She may be licking it. I will keep a closer eye on her this weekend and check if she is obsessively licking that area.

I will also try using the cream you suggested.

Its suddenly also very cold here. It could be leading to skin dryness and she may also be licking excessively cause of that. Thanks for your replies 😄

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is separated right now as she is not integrated into the cat family yet. She may be licking it. I will keep a closer eye on her this weekend and check if she is obsessively licking that area.

I will also try using the cream you suggested.

Its suddenly also very cold here. It could be leading to skin dryness and she may also be licking excessively cause of that. Thanks for your replies 😄
I hope you can find a crea like the one I had. Also, you may consider the cone for a couple of days. Of course, you know your cat well, and you know how she may react to it.

This is how my cat's leg was after an obsessive licking on the shaved area post blood work.

Paw.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The cream that the vet advised was a natural one, with Hypericum, which has a very bitter taste so that my cat wouldn't lick it off.
Consider this before you try various remedies on your own. A cat who is licking will continue to do so, and maybe even moreso if they want to remove something from their skin. Anything you use has to be cat safe.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you can find a crea like the one I had. Also, you may consider the cone for a couple of days. Of course, you know your cat well, and you know how she may react to it.

This is how my cat's leg was after an obsessive licking on the shaved area post blood work.

View attachment 468813
Damn, that's raw.

I will have Momo wear a cone for a few days to help the situation. Since I continued with the creams I have, and which were prescribed by the vet, the redness seems to have reduced. So I will continue this.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Consider this before you try various remedies on your own. A cat who is licking will continue to do so, and maybe even moreso if they want to remove something from their skin. Anything you use has to be cat safe.
Yes, of course. I will not use anything that is not cat safe. I'm gonna have Momo wear a cone for a few days.

I've not found Momo to be obsessively licking the area though. Is it possible that after the fungal infection cleared, the bacterial infection took hold? Although I was using a combined treatment. I've never had such issues with my other cats, so this is very new to me.

Sarah M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update. The skin redness and bumps are completely healed now. I just continued with the treatment that I was doing and it's all clear. I will still continue applying the cream, just to make sure it doesn't resurface again. But yeah, Momo is all better now 😃