What is this on my cats neck?

Davidallancoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently noticed this bald spot under my cats chin. Curious if any of you cat gurus have any experience with something like this. It doesn’t appear to bother him. I wonder if it’s from his collar though it appears higher than where it sits. He also has recently started going outside for the first time since I’ve adopted him, though he was feral until I got him. Thanks for any and all input.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could he have caught himself on something, maybe jumping on to a wall or fence. It looks like a small wound to me. If he will let you, bathe it in warm water incase there is any dirt.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It does look like a rubbing abrasion, so maybe leave the collar off until you can see if it heals on its own. In addition to wiping the area to get rid of any dirt, you can also take a chamomile tea bag (most grocery store varieties are just fine as they are usually all German - you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings), brew it in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the area with cotton balls or a soft cloth, multiple times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties and is considered an anti-bacterial/fugal agent, and is safe for him to ingest, if by chance he would.

Keep an eye on it to ensure it is not spreading/getting larger in size. If that should happen, you can send pics of it to your vet (if they accept them) and ask if it should be checked out by them.