What IS this? Need advice, please.

wolvena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excuse me if I seem paranoid, but I've had some bad luck with cats lately.

My kitten (5 months) was kneeding my blanket with his paws like crazy for about 5 minutes, then he curled up and made a smelly spot on it. He then proceeded to lick around the spot rub his face around it. The spot was smaller than a dime, yellowish/brown, and smelled like skunk. He did the exact same thing, to the exact same blanket a couple of days ago. Was this a regular kitten-type accident and just a coincidence, or did he do it on purpose and I should be concerned.

tinyone21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not positive on what it is either, but my cousins cat will jump up on you, sit there for awhile, and when he leaves there will be a little brownish spot, Pretty much exactly how you describe it. But it's not pleasant.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it from his anal sacs? They may need expressed. Some cats squirt the fluid out when they aren't at the litterbox and that smells horrible. That is probably the worst smelling thing I can think of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolvena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it was from his butt... it smelled pretty skunky, and I cant imagine where else it could come from smelling like that. I just fear that this may become a permanent problem. I'm hoping it was just a potty accident due to being a kitten and adjusting to a new home and such, and will not be an ongoing thing that he does every so often.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I have not experienced this with my cats, it does sound like an anal gland

I am sure that if you call your vet, he/she may be able to tell you how to express them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolvena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has an appointment to be neutered on the 20th. So I'll have the vet check him out then. Thanks all

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when my little Gina was a kitten, sometimes when she was hopping around her anal gland would leak a little. She totally outgrew it after a few months.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Umm
...My sister had this problem with one of her male cats- lets just say
(her FIL is a vet
) that he was REALLY happy to see her
, and it went away when when he got fixed
. Hope that's all it is with your kitty, too
!