What is this lady thinking????

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've met a nice pit bull, but I would never, ever, ever keep one in my home as a pet.
My mom got attacked by a pit bull mix when she realized the owners weren't feeding it. She took a bowl of dog food over for it and it attacked her. It was on a 4 foot chain, and so in order to give the dog food, she had to get pretty close. Now she realizes how stupid it was on her part to go over there, but when she sees a malnourished animal, she doesn't always think straight. I don't blame this on the dog: I blame it on the owners who didn't even have the decency to feed it. But I suppose it's a bad example because I think any breed would be stressed if it hadn't been fed in a week.

bengal cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK I am going to put my two cents in. I can see both sides of the pit bull issue.

First we have owned pit bills for 5 years. My dogs are the nicest dog I have ever owned. I have 2 very small children and my dogs have never hurt my children! My dogs have never hurt anyone! Also my dogs have never hurt my cats! But yes some people do train pit bulls to be mean! It is wrong but not all pit bulls are mean!

I had a friend that had a pit bull. As you can see I said had a friend! He had a cat and the dog did not like the cat. The cat did not like the dog. He said well they have to learn to like each other so he put them in his bedroom together.
He forgot he had but them in there and when he went in hours later the cats was dead. That is right he was stupid! I never forgave him for it! I do not speak to him now and I feel so bad for the cat. This happened years ago but it does not make it right. The point being it was not the dogs fault but the humans!

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nicole,
I agree that it is 99.9% the humans fault for stuff like that.... Sorry about your friend's cat

What colors are your pit bulls? The one I saw at PetsMart that one time.... it was a marble coloring almost. It was such a beautiful dog, too!

bengal cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tigger

You are so right! I just could not understand why someone could be so dumb! We just have one right now and he is a mix. But still has the pit bull in him. We rescued him from the shelter. I will try to attach a picture of him.

This is my Smokey pit bull mix.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to put my 2 cents in on this one. Most of the problems that you hear about with pits is not a problem with the breed, per se. Yes, there are some bad apples as there are with any breed. I've seen aggressive chihuahuas and toy poodles, more often than aggressive pits (obviously excluding the ones who were trained to attack anything that moves and abused/neglected, which unfortunately happens more often with pits than most breeds because of that "tough dog" image.) The difference is that when a chihuahua attacks, the owner can generally yank it away and it doesn't cause all that much damage. The pit bull is equipped to do more damage, and I guess that is the fault of the breed. They are a terrier, and one of the terrier traits is that when they bite down their jaws lock, which is why their bites are so much worse than other breeds.

My family had a pit mix (sire was a full bred pit), and Felicia was by far the sweetest dog I have ever known. I have no doubt she would have protected us if that situation had arisen, but she was good with strangers, OK with kids (she avoided them because she didn't know what they were). To her, a stranger was just a friend she hadn't met yet. This has been the case with every pit I have ever met, and I'm talking about people on the street, not just friends. When I would see someone with a pit out, I would tell them what a pretty dog they had and ask if I could pet it. I received the same reception from all of the dogs - tail wagging, licking, and just happy as pie to meet someone new.

I agree that Mary Anne should not have adopted out the two kitties to that woman. Regardless of the breed of dogs she owned, she was an idiot who would not have given those two a decent home, let alone a good home.

OK, I'm coming down from my soap box now. This is one topic that I get real sensitive with because of laws passed in my neck of the woods. Decent pits are put down all the time because they are found in Denver, where they have been outlawed.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nicole, that is a great pic of your dog!

Hissy..that woman sounds like a moron!!!!!