What is this? And how do I treat it?

Tacocatlover89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
GRAPHIC WARNING!! *image below text*

My kitten recently has become paralyzed… I have been giving him daily baths at the end of everyday, but yesterday I wasn’t able too. and he poops / pees by himself, I have been washing his bed/blankets daily as well. When I was giving him his bath today I noticed his skin was peeling off it’s is very messed up, and the layer is grey and very soft idk if it’s bedsores from missing one day of a bath or if it’s because I washed him daily. I did thorough research / took him to a vet on how to care for him as a paralyzed cat. The vet cannot get me an appointment till later. So what is this? And how can I treat it as of right now.

IMG_5238.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby. And I commend your dedication and loyalty to your little guy! Did you share a pic with your vet? I would hope if they would see it, they would find a way to squeeze you in for an appt. If not, you might ask if a vet tech in your vet's practice can take a look and help any - or consider finding an ER vet to take him too. If nothing else, ask the vet what they would recommend to help treat the skin now.

I don't know how urgent it is, but it would seem he still has enough nerves intact to be able to pee/poop on his own, which would make me think there has to be discomfort involved. Another thing to ask the vet's office about.

In the past I have recommended chamomile tea for basic skin irritation care, but I don't know if that applies in this case. Chamomile tea bags - which you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. You would brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then soak the area using cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is also safe if ingested.

Do you belong to any forums that are for paralyzed cats that might help you as you need to ask questions? Maybe this one, perhaps?
HandicappedPets.Net - Index page

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You may be seeing irritation from urine or feces, regardless of how much you try to keep him clean. Ask your vet for a cat safe ointment that will protect the skin. If you are seeing pressure sores, they normally look somewhat like an ulcer on the skin and don't necessarily peel but can enlarge and become very painful.