What is the best type of collar

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tabaqui - those are the cutest lil ears on your baby!! Is that a particular breed or just unique to your particular cat? Adorable!

After posting my last collar question/comment, I took Kali to the vet for her "initial visit" since being adopted at the SPCA. I explained the "collar incident" to the vet, taking the particular breakaway collar with me. After discussing the collar, the vet explained the microchip ID system to me. (I had read a little about this on this forum but wasn't fully familiar with how it works.)

Well, as it turns out, Kali *has* already been tagged with a microchip!!!! Initially that scared me as I have already fallen in love with Kali, but also know how I would feel if one of my beloved pets were missing. Unfortunately the type of chip Kali is marked with is the Avid system and my vet only has the Home Again scanner. She suggested that I contact the SPCA to see if they have an Avid scanner, if so, get Kali's ID # and have the registration changed in the database. The vet knew Kali is a "Katrina rescue" so didn't seem to have the same concern I did about her owners looking for her.

I read everything I could find on the local SPCA website re: the hurricane rescues. I was relieved to see that many of the rescued pets had their owners located and were flown back to the owners at the SPCA expense. The SPCA also has a statement that they only put up surrendered pets for adoption (or I'm supposing in the case of a disaster when they cannot locate the pets' owners). So I'm a bit calmer now thinking a shelter should know to check for the microchip ID and made an effort to locate the owner. Also, when I was at the shelter, there was a separate room for hurricane-rescued cats that were not available for adoption yet. Now that I think about it, they were likely being held while attempts to locate their owners were made.

I just sent an email to the SPCA explaining the discovery of the Avid implanted chip in Kali and to see if they have a scanner that can detect the number so I can change her registration.

Amazing how this situation changed in just a few hours from my questions on reliable, safe collars to discovering my cat has been microchip ID'd!!

Czari

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Czari

Thank you for your suggestions. Will need to investigate the Beastie Bands. I've never seen them at PetSmart or PetCo. Any idea where they're sold?
Czari
i buy them online here, here & here. that second place lets you specify a color... here's a pic of some of them on my cats...

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is a breakaway collar and how does it work?

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the best web site I've found so far on the breakaway collars: http://www.epinions.com/content_130786299524

The one I purchased at PetCo looked very similar but is called "The Safety Collar" and took all my strength with both hands to make the safety clasp release. I studied its prongs with that in the above photo and can see they are made a bit differently.

Hope this helps!

Czari & Kali