What is the best flushable kitty litter to use with the Litter Kwitter?

crackerjack4u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks.  After my babies get acclimated to each other (lol if they ever do), I am planning on using the Litter Kwitter to try to toilet train them.  What flushable litter do you all recommend to use during the process?   I've reviewed several different flushable brands, but I'm still not sure on which ones would be most cost efficient, and work the best for the Litter Kwitter toilet training process.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.      

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I would be cautious about "Flushable" litters. I hope others can chime in-years ago I used a litter that was supposed to be flushable=sadly it made a big clump and clogged up the septic pipe out of the house.  It was a horror to fix. I don't recommend flushing anything down the toilet other than human/animal waste and liquids. Solids can clump up and cause more problems. I think some people use some kind of pan under the litter box to catch any litter. I don't know if shredded type wood shavings would be a better alternative? I am interested to see if others managed to toilet train without clogging the toilet plumbing pipes. I guess I am always cautious now about flushable litters after having to take apart that pipe and fix it-that was NOT fun. So hopefully someone has a recommendation for you.

pipsqueak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also using the LitterKwitter system. I know to be careful and not flush giant clumps in the toilet, and I clean frequently. I'd be happy to switch to putting the biodegradable output in bags (which are often non-biodegradable), the question about what litter to use in this training system isn't the same as using the toilet as a dumping ground. I've had that problem in the past, also.

Step 2 of the LitterKwitter involves putting a tray on the toilet which will have some small amount of kitty litter in it. While the cat is learning to use it, they WILL knock some pieces of litter into the toilet. It's not a full load of stuff, but I have the same question - what is the safest kind of litter to use in this situation? It's temporary, it's not much, but it is required for the training process.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think toilet training your cat is a terrible idea. Apparently, a quick Google search indicates that I'm not alone.

The big objections:

1. It goes against their nature.
2. You've turned what could have been a dedicated resource (recommendation is 1 box per cat plus one) into a shared resource (how many cats and humans will share the same toilet?) Besides logistical issues (how many animals can use one toilet at the same time?), there could be territorial and behavioral issues around toilet contention.
3. You're flushing the evidence. A lot of health concerns can be caught early just by observing the pee balls (or lack thereof) and how they clump or don't clump (not clumping can point to an infection or kidney disease.)

7 Reasons NOT to Toilet Train Your Cat
5 Reasons Why You Should NOT Toilet Train Your Cat – Feline Behavior Solutions - Cat Behavior Consultant
Why Toilet Training Your Cat isn’t as Great as it Sounds

Also many "flushable" litters really aren't. Your septic system might not object to a little bit like if you're tossing poops in the toilet. But pee clumps can gather a lot of litter. And if it's clumping in the box, it's likely to do the same in your septic system.

I also think Litter Robots are a terrible idea for much the same reasons. I did use LitterMaid automatic boxes for awhile and those were horrible. Pee seemed to sense and seek the seams. The box was also too small for my cat to comfortably enter and squat resulting in a lot of peeing out the front. I have just one cat and I work from home. It's easy-peasy to get away with one box and scoop as needed. I keep a duplicate empty clean box underneath the working one. Once a month, the working one is removed and dumped, and the empty spare beneath it is filled up and becomes the new working box. The prior working box can now be cleaned and replaced underneath the current working box on my own time and Betty was not without a litterbox for more than a minute (the time it takes to remove the old working box and fill up the standby into its new working role.)

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
No cat litter especialy clumping litter ahould be flushed into the sewer. It is just asking for a costly plumbing repair and/or blackwater damage to your house, sewage smells horrable and tends to seep into whatever is around the burst pipe.
JAB Plumbing Solutions Blog | Blocked Drain Plumbers
this link shows a pipe clogged with so called "flushable" litter.

Unless you want a clogged pipe just don't risk it. Just pitch it in with green bins or houshold trash.

pipsqueak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was planning to reply to all the haters that every family has their own things that work. One of my cats actually prefers the toilet. Neither will use the toilet if they are sick so "flushing the evidence" isn't a thing.

I did appreciate the idea of stacking sandboxes, I never thought of that.

It took 3 days last week to unclog the entire sewage in this apartment building. I don't think it was anything todo with the flushable cat litter, as they came up with a pile of my hair extensions and some other weird things, but it was enough that I don't feel like testing my sewage system again. Even if the cats like the toilet. The flushable litter wasn't found, it was probably fine, but if the smallest things were found, I wont recommend anything that might spill in the toilet. We have decided to kwit the litterkwitters because having teams of plumbers around for days is not fun.

pipsqueak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 "how many cats and humans will share the same toilet?"

This isn't a totally common issue. Everyone in my household (4ppl) has their own refridgerator, but sharing a toilet has never been a problem. Not even with the cats. I don't agree with several of your points, but I'm not going to continue this training anyway. Klutz can share my toilet and I don't know any hoomans that have a problem sharing a toilet, but no more litterkwitter here.

pipsqueak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 Thanks for the tip on the stacked litterboxes. I mentioned in a previous message but just so you get my gratitude, that's such a simple and easy idea. It doesn't solve the "sand everywhere" problem, but seriously would fit our household well. I don't know why I never thought of that before.