What is she?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Colleslaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. Many think the spots on belly shows some Ancestry by bengal or ocicat.... Nay, its sooner typical for tabbies... Many tabbies have spotted belly...
So to know what for tabby pattern it really is, we must always look on the sides and back...
The sides are also spotted, however the spots are harder to distinguish because the black blends in with the grey pretty well (especially with all the tucked fur) I’ll post a better pic of the sides of her in a bit :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think she looks bengal to me. She looks like a domestic short hair, either brown tabby or a torbie. She’s very pretty.😻

As for the ear tip, in my area the only people who do it are people who are neutering outdoor cats who can then be recognized as already TNR. Sometimes, though, if they figure out a cat was tame enough to be adopted, they might still have an ear tip because they just did it automatically.

I really don’t care for ear tipping. I think a tattoo is better. I really regret them ear tipping my Merlin, but he went to one of those free clinics and they just did it automatically. I was not sure if he’s gonna be able to come inside at that point.

Where I am almost no where is really low-cost unless you’re doing a special clinic and then you still have to pay for any testing in vaccines beyond rabies. But if you go to a regular Dvm, they never do ear tipping here.

To give you an example I once took one of my outdoor cats to a free clinic and they figured out she was already spayed. She had what could’ve been an ear tip, but everybody thought it was an injury. I even showed photos to the people who were organizing it all. So she ended up being sedated for no reason, but she did get her vaccinations and testing.

Colleslaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A pretty and nice shorthair mackerel brown / black tabby domestic.

The question is, if she is ALSO a tortie, a so called torbie...

Brown tabby do have often warm brown or even reddish nuances here and there...
But I wonder if she hasnt some red small splotches...

How are her pad soles? Are all black, or is some of them rosy?
Here’s a better image of her stripes/ spots as well as an up close of her fur :) it’s weird her coat looks like stripes at some angles and spots at other angles! And she’s orange underneath all that, a very interesting coat for sure
IMG_3586.jpeg
IMG_3588.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On the very first photo, there is a tiny spot of red on the top of the head... This red spot is perhaps nothing, but on torties their revealing red spot is often there...

What exactly is the eye color? It seems greenish?

there is no rule for eye color for torties / torbies, but they are more often green eyed than the statistics tells.. Why, I dont know, but they are quite often green eyed.

ps... It may be she is a broken mackerel. The same gene as for mackerel, but they may have some spots on the sides.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She does have a few rusty orange blotches! And she has three black paws with black beans and one orange paw with pink beans :)
Ah, so she is almost surely a tortie / torbie.

And eye color is? Torties / torbies are more often green eyed than the average cat.

Colleslaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, so she is almost surely a tortie / torbie.

And eye color is? Torties / torbies are more often green eyed than the average cat.
Very emerald green :) there’s another pic on this thread somewhere that shows it well, this means I’m the proud parent of three calicos 😩 no wonder there’s so much tortitude in our house haha