What is she?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is my beautiful sophie.

She is actually a queen and I was wondering what the kittens might look like. The daddy is a tuxedo (black and white)

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will probably look alike their parents, in colors and patterns, especially as parents have a simliar pattern too... They will surely have white parts as white spot gene is dominat. All or all but one.  Girls may become torties / calicos 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I got a pic of the daddy. He hangs out on my porch all day since the "incident"
Is that because friendly you are supporting him too, or is it because he feels bonded with the momma?

Im not joking, its not unusual cat are living in family groups...

Anyways, it would be good if you helped him with neutering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had never seen him before they mated and now he has taken up residence on my porch.

I do plan to try and help him getting neutered. I would consider taking him in but he's a street cat and I don't know his tempermant and I have two small kids...not to mention a house full of kittens soon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All her female kittens will be calicos---girls get one color gene from each parent. All her boys will be orange---boys get their color from mom only. They'll have a lot of white because both parents do, but there's no way to know what pattern it will take. They'll be really cute!

Be sure to keep her in until she's spayed. Cats can get pregnant again very soon after giving birth. They don't get any birth control benefits from nursing kittens :lol3:.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All her female kittens will be calicos---girls get one color gene from each parent. All her boys will be orange---boys get their color from mom only. They'll have a lot of white because both parents do, but there's no way to know what pattern it will take. They'll be really cute!

Be sure to keep her in until she's spayed. Cats can get pregnant again very soon after giving birth. They don't get any birth control benefits from nursing kittens :lol3:.
I really was hoping for calico :) I think they're so beautiful no matter what the pattern. I also think they're easier to rehome because they're not "common".

Yes, I have heard that she can get pregnant again very soon after having her litter. I don't let her out currently. However my sons are not so great about closing doors. That's how she got out in the first place...

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've been doing a lot of research on cat color genetics cuz I'm kinda fascinated by it.

Sophie is a red bi-color domestc short hair.
Daddy is a black bi-color domestic short hair? (His hair seems longer than hers but it also in not as well groomed)

So the boys well be either red or red bi-color. Most likely red bicolor due to the white spot gene's dominance.

And the females well be calicos, tortiseshell or torties. The chance of torties is low due to sheer amount of white both parents have.

I still don't understand how you determine how much color the white will cover though. Is it possible for her to have an all white cat? And would it be male, female, or either?

Also, is color enough to determine sex? Like if a kiiten has black on it, how safe an I to assume it's a girl and vice versa?

Sorry for my nerdiness!

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can be sure all her boys will be red, that's the only option. UNLESS she's a hidden tortie and has some black spot lurking where nobody can see it. I've only heard of that happening in dark cats who have some hidden red, but maybe it can work in the other direction too, idk.

I don't think she can have an all-white kitten. One parent has to be all white for that to happen.

I found this page useful: http://cfa.org/breeders/catcolorsgenetics/basicfelinegenetics.aspx

(Btw, tortie and tortoiseshell mean the same thing :D)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I've been doing a lot of research on cat color genetics cuz I'm kinda fascinated by it.

Sophie is a red bi-color domestc short hair.
Daddy is a black bi-color domestic short hair? (His hair seems longer than hers but it also in not as well groomed)

So the boys well be either red or red bi-color. Most likely red bicolor due to the white spot gene's dominance.

And the females well be calicos, tortiseshell or torties. The chance of torties is low due to sheer amount of white both parents have.

I still don't understand how you determine how much color the white will cover though. Is it possible for her to have an all white cat? And would it be male, female, or either?

Also, is color enough to determine sex? Like if a kiiten has black on it, how safe an I to assume it's a girl and vice versa?

Sorry for my nerdiness!
White spot gene, and all-white gene are two different genes.  Both are dominant and strong, although it is the white spot gene which is quite common. the All white gene is as we know, not that common.   Otherwise all cats would be whitish even in the dark with bad light conditions, no?   :)

Last edited:

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read though that the white spot gene can cover the whole body in some cases, masking their true color.

I also read that in these cases, the cat it usually deaf... so I hope we don't have one. I couldn't keep a deaf kitty in my house with my monsters (human monsters) and I'd have to work really hard to find a suitable forever home. :(

I want healthy happy kittys!

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is possible to have kittens without white spots when both parents have white spots *because* the white spotting gene is dominant. This means it's possible for each parent to carry a white-spot and a non-white-spot gene, and some of the kittens get the two recessive genes. What's not possible is for two non-spotted cats to have spotted babies, as non-spotted must only be carrying the recessive non-spot gene. If both parents carry both genes, you'll on average have 3/4 kittens with white spots and 1/4 kittens without white spots.

Of course there's no way of knowing that one or both parents don't have only the dominant gene, other than if you have a very large litter with all spotted kittens.

It's also possible because of expressers of dominant genes possibly carrying recessive genes for the parents to both carry the dilute gene, so technically a creme boy (dilute orange) and creme or dilute calico girl are possible. No terribly likely, but possible. There's always a number of other unlikely recessive expressions that are technically possible, plus the possibility of spontaneous or even novel mutations, but you get more and more unlikely as you go down the list of genes that are unusual in addition to being recessive.

Last edited: