What is our new kitten?

osbornm1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! My son and his friend found two kittens by a clothes donation box out in the cold not that long ago. My son brought one of the kittens to me. He's a beautiful cat and we were wondering what he might be. He has blue-gray velvety, thick, short hair with silvery tips. He has the softest coat I've ever had the privilege to pet. It's like his coat changes color between blue/gray/silver depending on the light. He has some faint rings in his tail. His eyes are orange copper and he has a gray nose. His sister looks identical to him. This little guy is quite young, maybe 2 months old or so. That didn't stop him from bringing me a dead mouse the first week he was home. For a baby, he has keen hunting abilities. He also fits right in with our other cat and our yorkie. He's super affectionate with everyone and gives lots of snuggles when he's not tearing through the house playing. Also, he's not as loud or talkative as our other cat. He has a tiny mew that's more like a squeak or a chirp. I've never heard a cat chirp until now! I have a number of pictures to share :)

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he may be a russian blue mix but i believe they have green eyes. i may be wrong about that. definitely a domestic short hair and a gorgeous one, i love gray cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

osbornm1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a wonderful cat! We didn't intend to keep him, but he has fit in so nicely. Besides, he's so soft we want to keep him just to pet him. His name is Chad :)

What about gray cats like a Chartreux or other European gray short hairs? They have a velvety, thick coat like a Russian Blue, too, don't they? As a drop off, they are unlikely a pure bred, but I would imagine that he and his sister have some good ancestry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

he may be a russian blue mix but i believe they have green eyes. i may be wrong about that. definitely a domestic short hair and a gorgeous one, i love gray cats!
Yes, RB shall have green eyes.    Also the Korat too, although their origin regions are quite different.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's a wonderful cat! We didn't intend to keep him, but he has fit in so nicely. Besides, he's so soft we want to keep him just to pet him. His name is Chad

What about gray cats like a Chartreux or other European gray short hairs? They have a velvety, thick coat like a Russian Blue, too, don't they? As a drop off, they are unlikely a pure bred, but I would imagine that he and his sister have some good ancestry.
RB (and korat) shall have green eyes yes.   - btw, the body looks quite alike a RB.

British Short hair, whom are quite often blue, are quite stocky. 

Chartreux may be rather well done them too, but less so than the British.   Also, young chartreux arent that dissimiliar in body shape from RB.

If you arent pleased with the overall label on unclear blue cats = the Maltese cat,

so lets say he is a Chartreux look alike.    

Better that then to say he looks like a very pet quality RB - this is to diminish him and his wonderful personality.

osbornm1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He sure is a beauty, whatever he is. :) I've never had a cat quite like him. It baffles me that him and his sister were abandoned like they were. So, he would be considered a Maltese if he's a gray of unknown origin? We always called our stripey cat rescue a Tabby, so even the mutts usually have a name :)

osbornm1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I've never heard a cat chirp like he does! It's adorable. Our stripey cat meows and talks very loudly and very frequently. It's definitely different to hear either tiny mews or little chirps.