What is on your wet food rotation list?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Well, being that we just received our first case from Chewy.com today, I hadn't even tried it yet! But your question made me want to, so I opened a can and gave some to my young cat. My cat enthusiastically gave his approval. My cats are really not a very good barometer of whether something will be appealing to other cats, though, because they're not picky.

I have one cat who doesn't really ever turn down any wet food, whether it be random pieces of raw or cooked meat, commercial raw, home cooked cat food, or any type of canned. I have another cat who will eat almost everything, with a few exceptions like commercial raw or Blue Wilderness chicken. I have a foster cat who hasn't turned down a single thing that I've given her. So between the 3 of them, I can pretty much order whatever I want and somebody is sure to eat it. I've ordered entire cases of canned food without them ever trying them first, and I've never had any problems with doing it that way. 

It's seems to be a pretty good food and I don't think that it has any carageenan in it. The price was very good. It was only $25.64 for a case of 24 cans, so only $1.07 per 5.5 oz can. 
Great! Yes you are right, I looked on the ingredients list and it doesn't have any carrageenan in it. So what flavor did you get? Is it a pate or chunky or what? Thanks for opening a can, that was helpful! My cat isn't picky either (he is only under a year so fingers crossed it stays that way).... then again.... I think ANYTHING seems yummy to him after being feed crappy dry cheap kitty chow at the shelter. 

Wow that is an amazing price. Anything under $1.50 a can is good for me :) Of course I will splurge on some brands like Weruva. 

@Kat0121, Awesome! I will try that flavor.. Chicken anything seems to always be approved by Ghibli. 

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is chunky. It's a very nice change for us, because many of my cats' foods are pates. I got the chicken stew/tricky chicky flavor.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rotation for my 2.  I order monthly from Chewy.  I don't buy all at once but will rotate brand monthly.  I usually rotate 4 or 5 brands a month

- Nutro Natural Choice chicken, turkey pates & turkey sliced (absolute favorite of one my cats)

- Earthborn chicken cacciatore

- FF Classics (the ones without fish)

- Red Barn tricky chicken

- NV Pride rabbit minced

- Tiki Cat chicken, chicken & duck

- Weruva chicken

- Sheba turkey, chicken

- Soulistic chicken

- Merrick LID duck ( I buy this less frequently because one of my cats isn't a great fan of it)

- NV Rabbit (buy only a few cans from store since only one of my cats will eat)

- Stella & Chewy frozen chicken morsels (tried this for the first time recently and one of mine seems to like it.)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There are two schools of thought on the  Montmorillonite Clay. From what I read the only issue is that some sources of the clay are from areas that have toxins, If the clay is sourced from a toxin-free area, the clay actually helps pull toxins out of the cat's system. I read that the clay used in natures Variety is tested to ensure it is toxin free. 
That's so good to know!  Thanks for that info and the link, which I just now read.  Very interesting and informative!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There are two schools of thought on the  Montmorillonite Clay. From what I read the only issue is that some sources of the clay are from areas that have toxins, If the clay is sourced from a toxin-free area, the clay actually helps pull toxins out of the cat's system. I read that the clay used in natures Variety is tested to ensure it is toxin free

Last edited:

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mia needs to gain weight so her vet advised this canned food (she eats dried foods too)

Hill's Healthy advantage (for kitten)----really expensive but she loves it and I can see she's gaining weight.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are y'all's thoughts on Natural Balance? I want to feed their foods for variety's sake, but I'm nervous because they've had so many recalls.
I wasn't very happy about NB because they use canola oil, which I've learned isn't good for anyone.  I got a bag of dry food, can't remember what it was now, but I did a review on it.  

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like my young cat isn't too crazy about Halo quail and garden greens. Luckily, my old cat will gladly eat it.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer grain free products.  I used to rotate wet food between varieties of Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and Wellness.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying Soulistic. Now my cats won't eat anything else - not one bite.  And of course they prefer a variety that the store can't keep in stock.  I've given up trying to rotate; it's too stressful for everyone.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I prefer grain free products.  I used to rotate wet food between varieties of Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and Wellness.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying Soulistic. Now my cats won't eat anything else - not one bite.  And of course they prefer a variety that the store can't keep in stock.  I've given up trying to rotate; it's too stressful for everyone.
Let m guess- the Good Karma in the green can? My Petco can't keep this one in stock. I even told the manager that since it's the top seller by far, why don't they pull a flavor or 2 that doesn't sell and give the GK more shelf space. He said (and I quote). "yeah. We sell a lot of it."

I know. I JUST SAID THAT. Carry more of it so it'd actually here when people want to buy it.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Let m guess- the Good Karma in the green can? My Petco can't keep this one in stock. I even told the manager that since it's the top seller by far, why don't they pull a flavor or 2 that doesn't sell and give the GK more shelf space. He said (and I quote). "yeah. We sell a lot of it."

I know. I JUST SAID THAT. Carry more of it so it'd actually here when people want to buy it.
Well they used to love the Good Karma.  Now all they want is Beef & Tuna and Tuna & Salmon - two of the new flavors in the bags.  I had to start ordering their food online.  I'm not sure about all of the Petco stores, but mine said the ordering is handled by the main office; they have no control over their inventory.  Of course now that I just received 10 cases of the food, I'm sure they will decide to like something else.  :-)

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious, what's the difference between Soulistic Good Karma and Weruva Paw Lickin' chicken? Does Soulistic have more calories than Weruva or something?

I've looked at the Soulistic but its roughly the same price as the Weruva, so I've never bought any.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well they used to love the Good Karma.  Now all they want is Beef & Tuna and Tuna & Salmon - two of the new flavors in the bags.  I had to start ordering their food online.  I'm not sure about all of the Petco stores, but mine said the ordering is handled by the main office; they have no control over their inventory.  Of course now that I just received 10 cases of the food, I'm sure they will decide to like something else.  :-)
The Good Karma and Harvest Sunrise are the only ones mine will eat. I order online when they are offering deals. Right now they are offering a $15 e-gift card when you spend $50 or more on an online order. You get the free shipping too. It does work on food. The code is holiday15

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just curious, what's the difference between Soulistic Good Karma and Weruva Paw Lickin' chicken? Does Soulistic have more calories than Weruva or something?

I've looked at the Soulistic but its roughly the same price as the Weruva, so I've never bought any.
http://soulisticpet.com/orginal-flavors/orginal-flavor-cans/good-karma/

http://www.weruva.com/cat-cuisine-paw-lickin-chicken.php

I have had a can of each side by side and unless it's my imagination, they are virtually identical looks wise since they are made by the same company. The gravy on the PLL might be a touch thicker (to me) but other than that they look the same. My cats like the GK better. Good Karma is easier to find in store since it is Petco's house brand. Weruva is sold in specialty stores and online.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I'm on a tighter budget like this month after buying presents for 15 people I just feed them Dave's. It's just as good as the much more expensive ones but it only costs about $1.20 at the pet store where I'm from. 

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have had a can of each side by side and unless it's my imagination, they are virtually identical looks wise since they are made by the same company. The gravy on the PLL might be a touch thicker (to me) but other than that they look the same. My cats like the GK better. Good Karma is easier to find in store since it is Petco's house brand. Weruva is sold in specialty stores and online.
That makes a lot of sense. It sounds like they're pretty similar, other than availability.

I definitely gravitate towards products that can be purchased online or in my local town. Petco is a 30 minute drive from my house and is in the opposite direction of where I usually shop. So I don't go very often.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They are pretty much the same, though the thickeners are different: the Weruva has potato and the Soulistic has tapioca. That might explain your cats' preference for one over the other!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here @Kat0121, I'll help you!  
   It's an answer similar to the ones I get in Walmart:  "I'm on my break, ma'am" or "That's not my job".

robynandcakecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I feed my cat Sheba and Felix. She really likes both of these.

Hope this helped,

robynandcakecat