What Is My Kitten Doing?

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I constantly find my 7 month old buddy (Petey) randomly on the floor in weird places sitting like this (see picture). I buy him fluffy beds, cat trees, and let him on my bed, but I wake up and hes not on my bed - he is on the floor laying like this. Every day he is doing this lol. Why? Is he upset?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has he always done this, or is it a more recent thing? Does he do it all the time, or just in certain circumstances/at certain times? How is he eating/drinking/playing/using the litter box?

That position is commonly called the 'meatloaf' position and many people correlate it with a cat not feeling well. It can happen other times, but many times it has something to do with how they are feeling - usually not in a positive way.

If you don't think he is sick, start a log and document what is going on around the times that he does this, and see if you can find a pattern to it.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that he simply likes the feel or smell of the carpet or perhaps it is a little cooler near the floor. Or maybe he likes being out in the center of things where he can see what is going on. Unless he is acting sick in some other way, I wouldn’t worry about his choice of sleeping places. With most cats these change regularly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaceYoda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. He lays like that randomly as long as I can remember. I just thought it was strange. I got out my laser pointer and he took off chasing it - so it seems he is feeling okay..... Keeping a log is a good idea! Thank you

Has he always done this, or is it a more recent thing? Does he do it all the time, or just in certain circumstances/at certain times? How is he eating/drinking/playing/using the litter box?

That position is commonly called the 'meatloaf' position and many people correlate it with a cat not feeling well. It can happen other times, but many times it has something to do with how they are feeling - usually not in a positive way.

If you don't think he is sick, start a log and document what is going on around the times that he does this, and see if you can find a pattern to it.