What is Minimum Wage Where You Live?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No minimum wage laws in South Carolina. Its $6.55 right now and going up to $7.25 this summer.

Glad I'm a good bit above it though, wouldn't have really been able to afford my house at minimum wage!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

i get customers who, when they find out I have a B.A., they ask me what I'm doing there. I usually reply, "they called me back and then hired me. No one else is even calling me for interviews." But i know they can't afford to pay all of us better than they do... I do understand. It hurts that they didn't keep that raise equivalent, but C'est la Vie. At least I have a job.
Having been there and done that, I can say that BA probably made it harder for you to find work during a tough time. Most employers would rather hire a less educated person because they figure the guy with the degree will leave for a better job as soon as the economy improves.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Kansas has the lowest minimum wage rate in the country at a whopping $2.65 an hour. Yes you heard it: $2.65 an hour! That was the national rate back in about 1976. They are supposed to go to the national minimum of $7.55 when that is raised soon.

Here's a list by state:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._minimum_wages
I still can't believe that. It's also listed here at the US Dept. of Labor site.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

Very few people in KS are subject to the state minimum wage law. Almost everyone is covered by the Federal law.
Thank god for that. I don't know anyone who could live on that kind of wage even with limited expenses.

DH and I are both lucky enough to be paid a fair bit above minimum wage and even then we barely live "comfortably".

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canada provinces: http://canadaonline.about.com/library/bl/blminwage.htm

Alberta $8.80
BC $8.00
Manitoba $8.75
New Brunswick $8.00
Newfoundland $8.50
NWT $8.25
Nova Scotia $8.60
Nunavut $10.00
Ontario $9.50
PEI $8.00
Quebec $9.00
Saskatchewan $9.25
Yukon $8.89
We've gone up in min. wage.... Mar. 2008 it was $8.75
Mar 2009: 9.50
Mar. 2010: $10.50

It's been a while since I worked for min. wage, and prior to injuring myself I was making $6 over min. wage. I would not be able to keep my house/truck/ and related insurances.