What is going on with my kitten?

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a 9-month old kitten who appears to be under the weather but we're not sure what's going on.

We went out of town on Friday and she was fine, however, when we came back on Saturday she was definitely not feeling well. She was very lethargic and had no appetite and she also seemed to be in pain when I picked her up once. Fast forward to today and she's eating and up and about more but still seems to be off. She's not her usual active self - she's usually running and jumping all over the place but she still isn't doing that. There are also a couple of other activities she always loves to do but isn't right now. She hasn't been very vocal either. She also loves treats and her wet food and gets so excited over them, but that hasn't really been the case these last few days. She eats the treats but slowly and doesn't eat all of her wet food. Honestly, she seems down.

We took her to the vet today but unfortunately, her symptoms are so vague so he really had no answers. I noticed that when we came back from our trip on Saturday she was blinking a lot and her eyes seemed watery but that's not the case anymore. Her eyes still look wet to me but not so watery that there's any discharge or anything. Her ears also seemed to bother her a couple of times yesterday and today but not constantly; she has no fever and has not been vomiting or having any bathroom issues that I'm aware of.

I know these symptoms aren't helpful but does this sound like anything specific to anyone? Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Allergies? Indoors only? That might be why she doesn't feel good. Plus missing you for 5 days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Allergies? Indoors only? That might be why she doesn't feel good. Plus missing you for 5 days
She is indoors only. We did consider the possibility of allergies, especially because the air quality and pollen levels have been bad lately, I just wasn't sure if this would cause these symptoms or not.

We also considered the possibility of stress due to our being gone but according to my brother (who took care of her) she seemed perfectly fine up until his last visit to her.

She seemed to make some more improvement last night so really hoping whatever it is is passing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We also considered the possibility of stress due to our being gone but according to my brother (who took care of her) she seemed perfectly fine up until his last visit to her. She seemed to make some more improvement last night so really hoping whatever it is is passing.
Hi. Seems to me that it must have something to do with you being gone and/or your brother taking care of her. Did your brother stay in your home or just come over for a brief visit or two? Does he spend time at your home otherwise? The reason I am asking is because he may have brought something in on his person that she is allergic to. The other thing is if he is not around her a lot, he may have not noticed subtle changes in her that you could pick up on when you returned. I suppose you could try to vacuum/dust the flooring/furniture to see if that would help clear whatever he may have brought in on him faster.

Or it could simply be a reaction to you being absent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Seems to me that it must have something to do with you being gone and/or your brother taking care of her. Did your brother stay in your home or just come over for a brief visit or two? Does he spend time at your home otherwise? The reason I am asking is because he may have brought something in on his person that she is allergic to. The other thing is if he is not around her a lot, he may have not noticed subtle changes in her that you could pick up on when you returned. I suppose you could try to vacuum/dust the flooring/furniture to see if that would help clear whatever he may have brought in on him faster.

Or it could simply be a reaction to you being absent.
Hmm, I hadn't considered that. My brother and SIL came over multiple times - we have a dog and other cats as well - sometimes they were here briefly but other times they stayed a bit longer (I know they played with the cats and gave them attention). He and his wife are really good with animals and they come over to our house often so our pets are familiar with them. However, they do own a dog and his wife works with horses, so maybe that could be a possibility. I dust and vacuum regularly so that's already been done multiple times since returning home.

I think the most frustrating was not being here to notice when exactly she started to feel bad. Regardless, it was pretty sudden because we were only gone 24 hours.