What is everyone's opinion on prescription food?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat results came and she has uti. They said she needs prescription but it's really expensive and my cat is stubbornly picky.

What are good options? I give her wet food fancy feast pate turkey and giblets.

Are there supplements, or will this cat water work?
Screenshot_20220721-212214_Chrome.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a read through this: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

Prescription food isn't necessary in most cases. It's fine to disagree with the vet about food.

Some people say that adding a d-mannose supplement to food helps keep the urine pH normal. There are threads on TCS that discuss this more in detail.

Instead of that cat water, just give your cat filtered or spring water. The Cat Water doesn't contain anything that prevent urinary issues. It's just distilled spring water that has a neutral pH.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have a stubborn picky cat. Been using spring water. I saw less frequently trips to the bathroom now. Maybe it helped.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You need to know the cause of the UTI to better understand how to try to prevent them. If your cat has stones/crystals, then sometimes the prescription food can be used temporarily to dissolve them. But the biggest keys are feeding canned/wet food and getting your cat to drink water - whatever water you drink is sufficient for your cat. Adding some water to canned/wet food is another way to get more moisture in your cat's system. The moisture helps to flush out stones from the bladder so that they are less inclined to collect/grow inside the bladder.

Also, pure D-Mannose is good for bladder health, the composition of it is such that many types of bacteria adhere to it and are therefore flushed from the bladder rather than building up on the bladder walls.

The article provided above covers other aspects of urinary issues that I didn't mention here.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take a read through this: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

Prescription food isn't necessary in most cases. It's fine to disagree with the vet about food.

Some people say that adding a d-mannose supplement to food helps keep the urine pH normal. There are threads on TCS that discuss this more in detail.

Instead of that cat water, just give your cat filtered or spring water. The Cat Water doesn't contain anything that prevent urinary issues. It's just distilled spring water that has a neutral pH.
Thank you for linking to that informative article. All of it resonates with me, including these key points:

• “Water” is the most important word when considering urinary tract health.
  • Feeding a water-rich, low mineral, diet of canned or homemade food is critical for urinary tract health.
  • Feeding dry (water-depleted) food contributes significantly to urinary tract diseases.
  • Cats consume double the amount of water when fed a water-rich diet versus dry food. This fact considers both sources of water: food and water bowl.
Another informative visual is the photographic comparison of "litter clumps" that owners can compare as an additional means of gauging hydration/dehydration.

Bill

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I have neen trying to sneak more water in my cats food. I did notice less frequent trips to the bathroom unlike yesterday morning.

If it's because I added more water I wonder of it had helped some. I worry since my cat is picky that if i bought prescription food I will waste money

And D-Mannose what does it look like? I don't want to buy a wrong kind as I'm afraid I get a bad one

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have a stubborn picky cat. Been using spring water. I saw less frequently trips to the bathroom now. Maybe it helped.
Because I feed a balanced prey model style raw diet myself, I always end up with excess bones (after trimming out such things as dark meat turkey and dark meat chicken). I save these to make broth for Desmond.

I make a batch of broth and then freeze the excess in ice cube trays until frozen and then ziplock.

My Desmond is not the least bit "picky" (so not the best barometer of what other cats may enjoy), but he will lap up the unsalted broth like crazy. Perhaps something you could try as a way to increase hydration? You could use any whole dark meat portion (like legs or thighs) for your stock.

Proper hydration seems so critical. A homemade broth might be worth a try.

Bill

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the d mannose what does it all do. My vet is old fashioned and do this. I can't read it . I need good benefits because my cat is so picky

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
D-Mannose is a type of sugar molecule that is excreted in the urine which 'attracts' bacteria to it, so the bacteria adhere to the D-Mannose molecules and are urinated out of the bladder. (Just FYI - It has no negative impact on diabetic cats due to the kind of 'sugar' it is.) It reduces the number of bacteria in the bladder, which can help to avoid future UTIs.

Your vet's instructions only say that your cat is on Science Diet for urinary health, but strongly recommends that you switch to C/D diet. He then lists a note about prescribing 3 Orbax 68mg tabs - 1/4 S/D - I have no idea what the S/D means, as it is not a standard medical abbreviation that I know. If you have the prescription, it should spell out the dosage instructions in layperson's terms.

D-Mannose can be given alongside any type of urinary food without issue.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So do I really need prescription food I wonder. Bought two cans my cat didn't touched it that much. I only gave her a little bit. If d mannose also prevents it. I may get it then . Saw one at the chewy site.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I said before, you really need to know what your vet thinks might be causing the UTI. If it is because of crystals, then as I also said before, the prescription food can help to dissolve them. A lot of folks use the food temporarily, have the cat's urine re-checked for crystals, and then make sure that their cats eat canned/wet food and increase their water intake to help prevent future crystal development, even without the prescription food. Nonetheless, the best foods for a cat are those that they will eat.

From reading the information on the above links you provided - they are all powder. But the only one that doesn't contain a whole bunch of unnecessary ingredients is Nature's Pure Edge. I don't know what a scoop equals, but I would recommend giving no more than 1/4 tsp a day.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet about this water for Urinary Tract. But they told me prescription food is better. My vet diagnosed her as fic because there was no cause and happen 5 times within 2 years back I think 2012? 2013 . She's 15 years old now so I wonder if it's do to her age now

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is nothing in that water that will help - it is nothing but spring water. So, if you want to use it, go right ahead, but I do not think that the water alone is the answer.

FIC is often what vets 'default' to when there doesn't appear to be a specific issue tied to urinary problems. The best thing you can do is get your cat on a wet/canned food only diet, find ways to get her to drink more, and create a calming environment for her. Her age may have some to do with it, but likely only because just like humans, cats can get more sensitive to things as they age.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) | International Cat Care (icatcare.org)

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, may try d mannose so won't hurt to see if it dies well. Stressful month for my pockets. So I'll try anything to prevent this 😭

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd try the D-Mannose and getting her on an all canned/wet food diet, and more water - anyway you can get her to take in more. Consider, based on the above article's content, how you might be able to enrich her life. If it is stress related, enrichment can go a long way. Toys/cat trees/windows to look out of - there is even calming cat music. There's Spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats. How about some cat calming treats? Calming diffusers?

And calm yourself down as well - your cat can pick up on your stress too!!

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I have been very stress lately and have anxiety . I probably need to calm me down if that's the case 😵

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I add extra water to my cats wet food, typically 3-5 ounces. I pour it around the food like a moat. I don’t mix it in. Experiment with how much extra water yours will let you add

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat don't like her food to watered-down. She won't eat it if she can't taste her food