what is de-clawing???

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

yes they are sedated and the claws are removed.
Actually their toe's first joint is removed.... not just the claws.

It's pretty sick.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned what declawing actually involves not too long ago. I'm terribly ashamed to admit that I had my first two cats front declawed over 12 years ago when they were both sapyed and neutered because I didn't know any better. If I knew then what I know now I never would have had it done and I won't have another cat declawed. The claws are trimmed weekly and they have already been well trained by the person I adopted them from that they are to use the scratching posts.

Bryan

nelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My brother is a vet in the US. He refuses to declaw, and his boss is fine with that. I think his boss, owner of the clinic, will do it. Bro tries to educate the patient's guardian.

The operation is not de-clawing, but de-jointing. Think, take off your finger or toe at the first knuckle. The pain post-op can make a cat refuse to use the litter box, then things really go downhill!

Soft Paws, while humane and painless to use, still will take away kitty's defenses in much the same way as de-jointing....They are a good alternative for folks that have a foolproof way to keep the cat indoors. I have one cat that was trained to them, but I don't put them on him now that I have him, for that reason...he used to try to get outside and there are mean critters out there in my backyard.

I have had very good luck re-directing the cats to their posts. When I find them stretching up on a piece of furniture, I gently say, no, take them down, then I go over to the sisal post and scratch my nails on it very noisily. Every time, they immediately imitate what I've done, and where I've done it. Make sure you have a scratchy place that is "human approved" in every room - even if it is just a corrigated cardboard scratcher, (about $2). That way, you can re-direct effectively. If you have to go to another room, the cat has long since forgotten what it is you are trying to teach her.
Cats are so cool! They won't be intimidated or forced, but when given a loving option, will usually cooperate! That's why we love them so much!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with jaycee. And yes, it's possible to have nice furniture and a cat, but I note that Gizmo still 'sharpens' her paws on the victorian sofa. She does not do so on the Mission sofa, which has a different upholstery fabric that is not as attractive to her. So it's a simple matter of noting this and getting furniture that is covered in the right kind of fabric.
Gizzy's favorite scratching post is the wall-mounted one, by the way.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

now that is a statement i can live with. i just dont like it being implied that we are oh so "prideful" of our "precious" possessions if we dont APPRECIATE having clawed up furniture. some people are just a bit extreme in the way they express themselves i guess.
I agree with you. You will loose your anti-declaw message every time when you try to shame people for wanting to protect their furniture from destruction. I do not let my young children destroy my furniture and I will not let an animal do it either.

Our plan was always to declaw our kitten (mostly at my husband's insistance). However, I have been able to show him that I can manage our kitten's claws (nail trimmings and plenty of places to scratch) so my husband has agreed that it does not have to be done. I am greatly relieved.

The problem is that if rescues and shelters denied people adoptions if they plan to declaw, there will be a lot of cats sitting in cages. I don't like it one bit but I don't know a single (out of about 8) indoor cat in my area that has claws. There needs to be A LOT of education when these cats are adopted on how to manage claws. People just assume it HAS to done.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

I do not let my young children destroy my furniture and I will not let an animal do it either.
Then perhaps it would be best to have neither children nor cats.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I probably shouldn't post in this thread since this discussion makes me so angry I get a heartbeat. I will buy a bottle of champagne and some cat-milk and cheer with my cats the day US decides to join the civilized world on this point, and forbid their inhabitants to chop of their animals body-parts.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This thread is starting to get a bit personal. The original poster has asked what declawing is, as well as what softpaws are. Please stay on the topic without the personal comments.

indykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I'll give you guys a clue what fabric on the only fabric covered piece of furniture is? Mircofiber rocks I have one cat that sometimes scratches at the corner of the couch and it doesn't show.

Jennifer Sweeeney.