What is better water for cats?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw my cat straining it may be uti. Waiting to see if she will it again so I can syringe it since er vet is to far qnd uber and lyft wants around 40 to 50 so that be a total of 80 to 100 dollars.

Im worried because I read some water can cause uti . So I don't know what is good, distill or spring water?

It may not be uti because she stopped going back and forth. It was 3 hours ago.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use spring water we buy by the gallon distilled water has nothing left in it mineral wisei stopped drinking it myself cause i read it lacks electrolytes etc so not as good for hydration vs spring water. probably best to talk to your vet or research alot about different water both have pros an cons

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It should be just fine to give your cat whatever type water you drink. While there may be some potential impact on UTIs related to water, the biggest one is because cats typically don't drink enough water, regardless of the type - especially if they are not being fed canned/wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I was sneaking water in my cats food.
I don't know how to keep her away from it. I always have badluck when vets in my town are booked.

She seems to be not straining anymore though.

It should be just fine to give your cat
whatever type water you drink. While there may be some potential impact on UTIs related to water, the biggest one is because cats typically don't drink enough water, regardless of the type - especially if they are not being fed canned/wet food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well I was sneaking water in my cats food. I don't know how to keep her away from it. I always have badluck when vets in my town are booked. She seems to be not straining anymore though.
That is good that you give her extra water in her food! Just keep an eye on her and go ahead with trying to 'free catch' some urine for testing, just in case there is something going on.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm tired and still waiting . Maybe it was constipation.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to think it could be a fluke because she looks really comfortable

20220721_101815.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think it's constipation, increase water and call your vet and see if you can give 1/4 teaspoon human Miralax a day until she goes. it works great. Pureed plain unspiced pumpkin works well too mixed in a little food, I also give 1 teaspoon of butter once in a while if their stool ar hard.
If she makes frequent trips to the box and doesn't pee, and cries, then it is a UTI.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have can pumpkin. I haven't seen anymore strains though . Usually if it was like last time it be almost 6 to 7 times an hour.

If you think it's constipation, increase water and call your vet and see if you can give 1/4 teaspoon human Miralax a day until she goes. it works great. Pureed plain unspiced pumpkin works well too mixed in a little food, I also give 1 teaspoon of butter once in a while if their stool ar hard.
If she makes frequent trips to the box and doesn't pee, and cries, then it is a UTI.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Distilled water should not be used as a main water source. It lacks certain minerals and is too acidic - can lead to formation of crystals and then, to kidney issues.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So spring water good?

Distilled water should not be used as a main water source. It lacks certain minerals and is too acidic - can lead to formation of crystals and then, to kidney issues.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give your cat whatever water you drink.

Unless you live in an place that is known to have problems with its municipal water supply, like Detroit, tap water is fine.
If you don't like the chlorine taste, let the water sit in an open container for 24 hours or so. The chlorine will evaporate.

If you want to get one of those filter pitchers like "Brita" that's fine, too. Just fill it with tap water, put it in the fridge and let it percolate.

There's no need to spend more money on water than gasoline!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[Diltilled water] lacks certain minerals and is too acidic...
No.

Distilled water has a pH of 7.0 which is neither acid nor alkaline. It is exactly neutral pH.

In fact, distilled, deionized water is the definition of neutral pH.

(I'm a chemistry technician.)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It it's clean enough for you to drink it is clean enough for your cat to drink. :)

Just don't get too wrapped up in all the BS about drinking "special" water. It's all marketing hype designed to part you from your money and nothing else.

You can go to the convenience store and buy a 20 fl. oz. bottle of "spring water" for $1.99.
Do the math: $1.99 ÷ 20 oz. = $0.0995/oz. Multiply that by 128 (oz. in a gallon) to get a cost of $12.73 per gallon.

You are paying almost $13.00 per gallon for WATER! That's more than DOUBLE or even TRIPLE the cost of gasoline!

That price is LUDICROUS!!!

What's worse, that "spring water" is nothing more than filtered water, despite the claims on the bottle! It should be illegal! For the life of me, I'll never understand why it isn't!

There's nothing wrong with saying that you like the convenience of being able to go to the store to buy a bottle of cold water to drink on a hot day but it is WRONG to say that there is any difference between bottled water and filtered tap water that you make at home.

I was recently in a health food store where the clerk tried to sell me some "Hydrogen Water" claiming all sorts of health benefits from "ions" in the water. After I stopped laughing in his face, I said, "Water is TWO THIRDS hydrogen!" When he didn't understand me I said, "Water is also known as H2O! Two hydrogens and one oxygen!"

I still laugh every time I see such bull crap on store shelves and I can't understand how people can be so gullible that they would spend their hard-earned money on such things.

Bottom line: Water is water! If you have any concerns about the quality of your water, buy a filter.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use spring water, I just hate tap it has a weird smell even hate the taste with filter. Rather me and my cat use spring water. I was able to take the sample to the vet. Hope I get answers soon

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked your municipality's water quality report? They are legally required to send you one in the mail at least once per year. If anything happens that changes the quality of your water they are required to notify you immediately.

Also, don't forget that the "last mile" of pipes that lead from the water main, under the street, to your house and, finally to your faucet can affect the water you drink. If you have old, scaly pipes in your house, the water you drink might be compromised.

If you have any real concerns about your water, take a sample in a clean, glass jar and have it tested by a licensed laboratory. Your county's "Extension Office" should be able to do it for you or lead you to a place that can.

If your "water report" doesn't match what your municipality's report says, you should find out why.

Maybe the water pipes in your house are old and crusty. Maybe somebody at the Water Authority has "dropped the ball." In any case, you should track down the source of the problem.

Where I live, sometimes, there is an "algae taste" in the water during the hot, summer months. It's because of algae that grows in the water where my town gets its supply. There isn't anything that anybody can do about it. It's nature.

The Water Authority does add extra chlorine and filtration to kill off the algae but, sometimes, you can't fight Mother Nature.

When that happens, a "Brita" water filter usually solves the problem for us.

But, if there is something wrong that a filter doesn't solve, you need to track down the reason.

If you'd rather buy bottled water, that's fine but don't go 'round thinking that it's more special than any other water.

Buy what you like the best.

Don't buy water based on the silly claims that companies make.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't really know who runs the water but everytime they treat the water it has a funky smell.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check your water bill or ask your landlord to tell you.

It is Federal Law that says they MUST give you a water quality report at least once per year and they MUST tell you what they do to treat your water to make it safe to drink.

If anything happens that affects your water they MUST tell you that, too.

Chances are that the smell you have in your water comes from either algae which naturally grows in the water supply or the chlorine that they use to treat the water.

Most of the time, leaving a jug full of water sit out in the open, exposed to air, for 24 to 48 hours will get rid of most of the smell.
A filter should take care of the rest.

If that doesn't work, it's time to look into the reasons why.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the apartments pay for water so do I call them ? Last time I called water they acted so confused