What Is ALT In A Cat's Liver...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your input everyone.
I apologize for not getting back to y'all sooner. I was too burnt out yesterday from lack of sleep over worrying about Maverick, and I needed to regroup a little. All of this has got my head spinning.

I'm glad y'all pointed out the fact that I shouldn't go "cold turkey" with the Pred. I didn't realize that doing so may end up hurting Mav.
It seems like I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place with that one: should I or shouldn't I continue with the treatment? I don't want him to take it if it may end up causing his ALT to go higher, or if it's gonna cause more damage to his liver in the long run - that's for sure. But I also don't want him not to take it either, if it may help him.

I printed out the info on the links regarding the Pred & Metronidazole that Sharky attached, and I had my s/o give them to our pharmacist where they both work - who is also a good friend - to get his opinion. He knows his stuff, and I trust him. He's gonna contact the vet to discuss it further with him. I'm also gonna try and contact another vet (which isn't an easy task in this area, but I'm gonna try) and get another opinion.

MonaxLisa, regarding the Denamarin, the reason I decided to go that route is b/c it's supposed to be easier on a cat's stomach than just the plain milk thistle. If I remember correctly, I think the milk thistle is also supposed to be very bitter, and only comes in liquid form. It's a lot easier for me to give Mav his meds in pill form: he ends up spitting out most of the liquid stuff, and just hates it. The Denamarin costs me $32.00 for a 30 day supply, which isn't too bad. If it's gonna be easier on Mav to take it that way, I'd rather pay the extra cost.

Food Lady, I never got an actual diagnosis yet. In order to do so, the vet has to perform either an ultrasound or liver biopsy. If the next ALT test results haven't improved, I guess I'm gonna have to go that route. I've been hoping & praying that we won't have to go that route, b/c I don't want to put Mav through anymore stress than necessary. And money is an issue, too. I don't know how or where I'm gonna get it from.
Just paying for Mav's med & testing has already cost an arm & a leg.

Originally Posted by foodlady

Why did the Vet even put Mav on the Metronidazole to begin with? Was Mav having diarrhea in the beginning? I'd sure be questioning why he's still on it (it's been a good 6 weeks or so, has it not?). No med should be given indefinitely
I believe the vet put Mav on the Metronidazole in case there was a liver-related infection that was causing him to leak urine like he was (which has gone away). He's been on it since Nov. 18 - the same amount of time as the Pred. They had to special order the Denamarin: he's been on that now for a month (that was actually my idea - not the vet's. I asked about it after learning about the liver thing and doing research, and came across the Denamarin treatment online. I don't know why the vet(s) didn't prescribe that themselves. Makes me wonder..
).

I'm gonna ask for Mav's test results tomorrow, and I'm also gonna get another opinion.
These conflicts between the vet(s) treatment and what I've read online regarding the Pred & Metro have really got me concerned.

Thanks for all your help, peeps. I really appreciate your input.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

If I remember correctly, I think the milk thistle is also supposed to be very bitter, and only comes in liquid form.
actually, i take milk thistle, & it's in a capsule form.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

actually, i take milk thistle, & it's in a capsule form.
It must be something else I'm thinking of then.
I've tried to digest so much in the past few weeks that my head is spinning.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I contacted my vet's office today, and asked for Mav's test results. The receptionist said she'd mail them to me.

I also tried contacting another vet who a friend of mine swears by, but their office was closed today - so I left a message for them to call me back. It's the last decent vet that I know of in the area: the next closet option for vets is about 40 miles away - which wouldn't be as much of a problem if we had a decent car to depend on.
I also called my friend to get some more info from her regarding the vet, but she wasn't home so I left a message.

I'm still waiting to hear what the pharmacist says about the Pred & Metro stuff. I asked my s/o about it last night when he got home from work, but the pharmacist had to wait till today to talk to the vet.