What is a wife to do? (cooking advice)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Having grown up literally only eating venison (antelope, deer and elk), I understand your husband's issue with fat. Fat on venison is very tough and it must be trimmed off before cooking or you'll end up with an unbearably gamey taste. So that was ingrained into me from a young age.

I do agree with the suggestions of venison (deer or elk, preferably) and buffalo/bison. Very lean meat naturally. The only issue you may have with venison is with the difference in flavor to the meat compared to corn-fed beef. Venison comes naturally seasoned, depending on the food source in the area.
We've had venison and loved it, but unless DH plans on hunting, it's expensive to buy.

I'm thinking we are going to move towards fish and chicken. If he wants red meat we'll go for elk or deer.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I made beef stew I buy a sirloin roast and cut it up myself instead of buying the "stew meat". If you use ground round/ground sirloin it will be quite dry so you will have to add some other fat in like oil or butter.
I cut off all the fat too-Neil grew up on a farm and it doesn't bother him.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive me if I repeat anyone else's advice, I didn't read the other replies (bad, bad Pat)..but having a dh who also hates fatty meat (or anything with bone in or shell on...sigh), I've dealt a bit with this.

I've found he does like pork tenderloin, and skirt steak is lean and wonderful once marinated, and then grilled (make fajita's from scratch), boneless, skinless chicken breasts made into homemade chicken tenders goes over well too.

London Broil is also good. I also use thin round steak to make braciole which he loves (an Italian recipe for rolled stuffed steak, I can give you a recipe for it, if you'd like).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Forgive me if I repeat anyone else's advice, I didn't read the other replies (bad, bad Pat)..but having a dh who also hates fatty meat (or anything with bone in or shell on...sigh), I've dealt a bit with this.

I've found he does like pork tenderloin, and skirt steak is lean and wonderful once marinated, and then grilled (make fajita's from scratch), boneless, skinless chicken breasts made into homemade chicken tenders goes over well too.

London Broil is also good. I also use thin round steak to make braciole which he loves (an Italian recipe for rolled stuffed steak, I can give you a recipe for it, if you'd like).
Ohhh I'd love it! PM it to me if you can!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can get lean boneless,skinless chicken breasts- i love cooking with those

also- i get the leanest ground beef i can find when i'm at the store...it still has awesome flavor minus the fat i don't need. I got 90% lean ground beef last time i was at the store. i'll buy the leanest i can find.

also- there are lots of things like crab legs- that can be steamed or boiled (i think snow crab tastes better boiled with seasonings
) those are lean.

some game hens aren't as fattening....and some cuts of turkey aren't eithor...i guess you just have to shop around

also- you can always ask you local butcher to cut meat to your liking or even recommend certain lean cuts to you

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

keep him out of the kitchen, and cut all the fat off before you put it on the serving plate! viola! I can buy a pot roast with a whole layer of fat on the one side, and as long as I don't put that on the table & keep it in the crock pot, he won't even notice!
I like your idea!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

When I made beef stew I buy a sirloin roast and cut it up myself instead of buying the "stew meat". If you use ground round/ground sirloin it will be quite dry so you will have to add some other fat in like oil or butter.
I cut off all the fat too-Neil grew up on a farm and it doesn't bother him.
I live in a small town with a little grocery store but this guy has the BEST stew beef I've ever seen. Like I said, I'm very fussy about fat and I swear to you I rarely ever have to cut anything off his stew meat - it's fantastic.

Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

We have pork tenderloin at least once per week. I slice it diagonally into medallions, quickly pan fry until it's cooked through, remove the medallions from the pan, deglaze the pan with Calvados (apple brandy) (you could use apple juice), get all the brown bits up, add 35% cream (whipping cream) or 10% Coffee cream and let it simmer down to thicken, then serve that sauce over the medallions. Sometimes if I have apples that are a little older and getting soft, I'll peel and chop or slice one or two up and put it in the pan to soften and brown a bit after removing the medallions and before adding the brandy and cream. My hubby loves this, especially when I add the apples to the sauce. It takes about 1/2 hour to make dinner from start to finish with broccoli in the microwave and a potato cut up small for quick cooking on the stove.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

We have pork tenderloin at least once per week. I slice it diagonally into medallions, quickly pan fry until it's cooked through, remove the medallions from the pan, deglaze the pan with Calvados (apple brandy) (you could use apple juice), get all the brown bits up, add 35% cream (whipping cream) or 10% Coffee cream and let it simmer down to thicken, then serve that sauce over the medallions. Sometimes if I have apples that are a little older and getting soft, I'll peel and chop or slice one or two up and put it in the pan to soften and brown a bit after removing the medallions and before adding the brandy and cream. My hubby loves this, especially when I add the apples to the sauce. It takes about 1/2 hour to make dinner from start to finish with broccoli in the microwave and a potato cut up small for quick cooking on the stove.
This sounds wonderful! I think I will try to make this, though to be honest, my husband is turning out to be such a better cook than I am...better palate, better at new recipes, more creative.