What Is A Good Pet Owner? A Question for Discussion

qit el-remel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I believe that unless the cat is in a responsible breeding program with breeding rights..that all cats should be fixed. I would never adopt to anyone who intended to keep a cat intact that wasn't in a responsible breeding program...that being said...all the kittens and cats we adopt out are spayed/neutered prior to adoption.
There's an actual law in CA saying that shelter kitties have to be sterilized before they can be adopted out.

There are two things that bother me about supposed "responsible breeding programs" (i.e. catteries). One is the fact that pedigreed cats have become ridiculously expensive status symbols. (There was a cattery that was asking $500 and up for neutered, pet-quality toms—sheesh! If I want a neutered tom, I'll get him from the local shelter...and choose him on behalf of character, not bloodline.)

The other is that the lives of non-pedigreed cats are being devalued. I've met people who genuinely can't understand why I'd rather have moggies. (Some would be outraged at the thought of a moggie queen having one litter...but would rather see a hundred moggies put down than spay one pedigreed queen after her third litter. The logic?)

In short: I agree with sterilization on principle, but not the absolutism and double standards that surround the issue.

That said, Circe is spayed (shelter kitty) and it's only a matter of time for Roko. Along with the basic cost of the surgery, she'd need to be on kitty tranquilizers—and I've been asking around about those. (Can anyone recommend a good one with a minimum of side effects?)

-Qit

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have power - amazingly - and so I can "steal" a few mins to post.

This is an excellent discussion, My kitties are my babies tho at the moment I only have one. I would do no less for my cat than I would for a human child and if anyone sees that as frivilous, I really don't care. I also treat human children with great care and love.

I think one should understand what cats are like - how to speak cat I suppose, lol - and comprehend the way a kitty communicates and that she really is not a little human. One must be able to financially and emotionally care for your cat - have time as well as resources in other words. A good cat "owner" (Not sure anyone ever "owns" a cat!!!) goes well beyond the basics as defined in the law. S/he provides good nutrition, keeps up to date on all the latest developments, (edical and other), keeps her cat inside and yes I know this is controversial and probably depends on where you live (in a city, there are far too many dangers to allow cats to roam at will while smaller communities allow more leniancy maybe??). I just know indoor cats live longer, healthier lives according to all the research and so I choose to give my baby the best life possible. A good cat person would never subject her cat to cruelty - like bad situations or declaw surgery which is illegal in most industrial countries.

I think moggies are just as good as purebreds but one has to consider what breed is best for you. Some breeds have more energy and require more attention, just as individual cats have unique personalities. I love the Siamese breed but I have had moggies. I do think breeders should be registered and have absolutely no patience or regard for backyard breeders tho I know all there are situations where one rescues a cat who is pregnant. There is almost no excuse for a cat to become pregnant if someone is not a cerdible breeder given the high ratio of cats to people and the fact so many cats die every year. That said, I chose a Siamese because I love the breed and because one does have to live with a cat for the rest of her life and be responsible for her forever. This means estate planning and having contingency plans (like a living will) in the event something happens to you. You would do that for any dependent so you must also do it for a cat!!!

Above all, one must love your cat and enjoy her/him!!!! And be prepared to help other cats and cat people!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with whats been said here. I have to say i love seeing each of my babies and knowing how they feel and their moods. and each one gets seperate attention every day

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

I totally agree. But what about somewhere in the middle? Is a painless death better than being well fed, well taken care of, but heckled by children a few hours everyday? What about well fed and taken care of but ignored? Or, loved and fed, but never taken to the vet?

I don't really have the answers, it's just a constant dilemma in my head.

Sorry to wander Off Topic...
I agree. I've wrestled with this for a while.

On the one hand, if someone wants a cat, they're going to get a cat. And at least if they get the cat from me, the cat will already be spayed/neutered.

On the other hand, I simply cannot bring myself to place a cat who's been in my house into a home that I feel is less than great.

I personally deal in two ways. First, I spend a good deal of energy helping low-income and even homeless people spay and neuter their pets. But as long as the animal is well cared for in terms of having proper food, water, shelter, and no harsh treatment, I'm not going to interfere any further. If I do see signs of neglect or mistreatment, though, then I may take the cat depending on how bad things are. (The loosely owned cat I found outdoors in January with bone protruding from his broken tail would be an example of this.)

Second, if I know someone wants a cat and I find a stray in their neighborhood or know their neighbor just abandoned a cat, I'll place that cat in the home (after ensuring spay/neuter). Somehow I'm okay with taking the cat right from the streets and putting him/her in a less-than-perfect home in the same neighborhood. I can't defend it logically but again, it comes down to knowing that these folks will get a cat from one source or another and at least this way the cat's life is better than it was outside and the cat is fixed.

It's a tightrope walk, I'll admit, and I don't think there are easy answers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad to see this thread bumped but was hoping for more input from some of our resident breeders. Anyone else in the breeding community care to participate?

~gf~

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Qit el-Remel

There are two things that bother me about supposed "responsible breeding programs" (i.e. catteries). One is the fact that pedigreed cats have become ridiculously expensive status symbols. (There was a cattery that was asking $500 and up for neutered, pet-quality toms—sheesh! If I want a neutered tom, I'll get him from the local shelter...and choose him on behalf of character, not bloodline.)

-Qit
If the "Tom" were a bengal, you'd be getting a good deal at that price.
Just out of curiosity how much do you think breed cats should sell for?
Would it make you feel better about the whole thing if shelter cats sold for the same amount as breed cats from a cattery?
Last thing.......if you wanted a "Tom"........as a responsible pet owner, he better be neutered. Breed cat or shelter cat. The money people spend on pedigreed cats for pets don't include reproductive rights.

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
I agree to all those before me. Especially, don't declaw! there are so many other solutions! Scented sprays, orange peels, double sided tape, foil, Softpaws, change scratch post, etc. Which do you care more about, your cat or your couch? If you care more about your couch, don't get a cat!