What Is A Good Pet Owner? A Question for Discussion

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With the recent discussion located here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=25

I thought it might be informative and way overdue to discuss just exactly what makes a good pet owner? So often, we, as breeders, are told we must be held to a higher standard of care for the cats we raise and there is no doubt that we can all agree that we should be held to a higher standard - but since it seems that turnabout is indeed fair play, let's talk about the standard for pet ownership. What criteria must one meet in order to be considered a good pet owner?

Your thoughts? Anyone?

~gf~

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe a good pet owner must be able to furnish a safe home where the animals are not subject to be attacked by other animals, people, or run over by cars. I also think a good pet owner must be able financially to give the animals needed medical attention, to either pay the bills immediately or be willing to work out some kind of payment schedule with a vet. And of course, I think pet owners should be willing to give the animals attention and love on a personal basis, even if they have several pets. Just my opinion, for whatever it is worth.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, can I be the first one to jump right in here?

IMO the first criteria should be that the person adopting the pet MUST be able to afford the pet, i.e., proper food, safe environment and vet visits when needed.

The pet owner MUST make a commitment to that pet for the rest of the pet's natural, healthy life.

Owner MUST NEVER mistreat the pet in any way, i.e., spanking, hitting, not feeding or providing for the pet.

Those are my initial thoughts on this.

Oh and PS - all potential owners should be scrutinized carefully before entrusting them with our precious animals. If someone has abused an animal before there should be a registry put into effect and assessible to the public so that if someone wants a pet they can be checked out first.

mihoshi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have to know your own limits, and realize that if you cannot afford to ethically care for a cat, then you shuld not own one. Many people get an animal just to have it as if it truly is just a piece of property to them. These people churn out the registered animals that are sickly, these people dump boxes of kittens at the shelter. You should have to pass a test or get a certification to own an animal.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mihoshi

You have to know your own limits, and realize that if you cannot afford to ethically care for a cat, then you shuld not own one. Many people get an animal just to have it as if it truly is just a piece of property to them. These people churn out the registered animals that are sickly, these people dump boxes of kittens at the shelter. You should have to pass a test or get a certification to own an animal.
that would leave me out since I rarely pass tests...lol

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think one of the most important things a good pet owner acknowledges is that their pet is NOT disposable. They can not turn their back on them when they are slightly inconvienced. A pet is a living being that you choose to make a part of your life. An animal is not a piece of property.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've actually wanted to discuss this for a while, because working for rescues in a high-kill area I always wonder how picky we should be. It's hard, because if you are too picky that may mean another animal is put too sleep, but if you aren't somewhat picky - what is the point?

I definately agree with the above posts re: financial responsibility, disposibility.

I think it takes more than just money though, they also must be willing to take the time to bring their animals into the vet. No excuses.

A willingness to learn about their animals. If something goes wrong they won't just give up and bring the animal back, but research.

If there are children, they should be respectful of the animals - or have parents that are teaching them these values. I've seen too many parents just stand there while their children SCREAM at the cats.

No history of animals dying "mysteriously" or repeatedly being run over by cars, running away, being given to friends, etc.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

I've actually wanted to discuss this for a while, because working for rescues in a high-kill area I always wonder how picky we should be. It's hard, because if you are too picky that may mean another animal is put too sleep, but if you aren't somewhat picky - what is the point?
IMO the point would be a quiet, painless death as opposed to possible abuse and bad treatment and a horrible death. I'd vote for the former.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone who researches the animal, knows what they are getting into, and know that they can at least provide basic care. This includes fixing (i actually know people who are against it for religious reasons, get the animals anyway, and constantly whine about how good said animal was at filling their house/yard with more of itself), checkups, shots, and anti-parasite care. You wouldn't want itchy bugs clambering all over you nonstop, and neither does Fluffy.

They should not see the animal in the same light as a visiting pest. Cooing "it's sooooo cuuuuuute!" and dumping it outside for neighbors to feed and deal with does not constitute good pet ownership. It constitutes a severe lack of synapse activity. It should not be a gift for your child who has a 3-second attention span, or your cute little boy or girl who ties it up with rope and laughs as it struggles to free itself.

It should not live a short existence as a potential road waffle, just to be replaced by another doomed creature you stupidly toss outside as well. It should not be beaten with anything for being itelf. It should not be taken to the vet/pound to be out down because it's not as cuddly as you like, or it doesnt match your sofa, or your brat kicked it in the ribs and it got angry and bit him/her. It should not be left outside in minus-degree weather because your oh-so-delicate indoor feng shui would be upset by an "inferior being".

A good pet owner respects the animal in question and loves it. They know what they're getting into and are willing & able to do what it takes to ensure its safety and well-being.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

IMO the point would be a quiet, painless death as opposed to possible abuse and bad treatment and a horrible death. I'd vote for the former.
I totally agree. But what about somewhere in the middle? Is a painless death better than being well fed, well taken care of, but heckled by children a few hours everyday? What about well fed and taken care of but ignored? Or, loved and fed, but never taken to the vet?

I don't really have the answers, it's just a constant dilemma in my head.

Sorry to wander Off Topic...

amandaofcols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I agree with the majority of what is posted above, BUT I have indoor/outdoor cats and here recently one of them was attacked & killed by a neighbors dog that got loose. I loved Rotten with all of my heart and sould and I think she was happy, she came in when she wanted and went out when she wanted, she had all the love, care, attention she could ever dream of, but I was unable to keep her safe on that night. Does that make me a bad pet owner? I tend not to think so. I must add however, that my other indoor/outdoor cat is now strictly indoor and he HATES it! But for the most part I do agree whole heartedly with the above stated! My pets have always been treated like my children and always will!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good points already raised everyone and I'll try not to repeat them.

I believe that people need to be able to take care of the emotional well being of their pets. It is easy to feed and vet them, but harder to understand them on a level that you can satisfy their emotional needs.

What I love most about cats (and dogs) is that they are so individual. And because of that, to be a good pet owner, you need to understand what makes them unique and support those traits in them. So many people try to make their pets into something they are not or force behaviors on them that aren't part of their personality. It takes time to do so, but it turns a simple pet owner into a "mom" or "dad".

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Good points already raised everyone and I'll try not to repeat them.

I believe that people need to be able to take care of the emotional well being of their pets. It is easy to feed and vet them, but harder to understand them on a level that you can satisfy their emotional needs.

What I love most about cats (and dogs) is that they are so individual. And because of that, to be a good pet owner, you need to understand what makes them unique and support those traits in them. So many people try to make their pets into something they are not or force behaviors on them that aren't part of their personality. It takes time to do so, but it turns a simple pet owner into a "mom" or "dad".
That's an excellent point and I agree 120%. Kudo's to you.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

I definately agree with the above posts re: financial responsibility, disposibility.

I think it takes more than just money though, they also must be willing to take the time to bring their animals into the vet. No excuses.

A willingness to learn about their animals. If something goes wrong they won't just give up and bring the animal back, but research.

If there are children, they should be respectful of the animals - or have parents that are teaching them these values. I've seen too many parents just stand there while their children SCREAM at the cats.

No history of animals dying "mysteriously" or repeatedly being run over by cars, running away, being given to friends, etc.
I agree with all of it to, but also having patience, love and understanding, making sure you can give Love to all the pets you have, I know by doing the rescue part how much work it is, and I cannot tell you how much more I Love my Cats just from knowing what they lived through, being where they were. And how much more I appericate them . Also that you can make the right choices for there health, I have had a few experinces where people can't make the right choice when there animals are going to dye and are suffering, I know it isn't easy to have to put one to sleep, but it's better then watching them go way down hill, that for me would be far worse.We all think with are Heart but sometimes it's just not the right thing to do. Over the last year and a half I have learned to respect these cats because they do deserve that, and because it's still just a shame what goes on. And mostely just be a responseable pet owner. The fact also that the county I live in puts thousands of them to sleep every year, I never knew that, and it brakes my Heart,It aslo made me Love mine more. But if everyone was like the people on TCS all would be Great wouldn't it? Thanks for this thread

qit el-remel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep kitty indoors unless he or she is sterilized, immunized, and nowhere near busy streets, dogs, ticks, et cetera.

If you can't properly handle kittens (and all of their implications) and/or "tomcatry," sterilize kitty.

Give kitty high-quality food...and plenty of water.

Get kitty any necessary veterinary treatment.

Keep kitty's catbox clean.

Pamper kitty shamelessly...to a point.

-Qit

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can't properly handle kittens (and all of their implications) and/or "tomcatry," sterilize kitty.
I would rather go with the forum guidelines regarding spaying/neutering:

Because of our strong committment to responsible cat care and treatment, we do promote and strongly encourage a pro-spay/neuter policy here. Unless you are an experienced, responsible, ethical breeder of pedigreed cats, we do not advocate breeding.

I believe that unless the cat is in a responsible breeding program with breeding rights..that all cats should be fixed. I would never adopt to anyone who intended to keep a cat intact that wasn't in a responsible breeding program...that being said...all the kittens and cats we adopt out are spayed/neutered prior to adoption.

Katie

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I would rather go with the forum guidelines regarding spaying/neutering:

Because of our strong committment to responsible cat care and treatment, we do promote and strongly encourage a pro-spay/neuter policy here. Unless you are an experienced, responsible, ethical breeder of pedigreed cats, we do not advocate breeding.

I believe that unless the cat is in a responsible breeding program with breeding rights..that all cats should be fixed. I would never adopt to anyone who intended to keep a cat intact that wasn't in a responsible breeding program.

Katie
Oh my gosh how could I forget spay and nueter, I had 16 of the done the last year, 4 males and 12 females, I guess because it's the first thing I did, And yes Please Sray and Nueter, it's the best thing you can do.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is my list-

Be able to provide good quality vet care for each animal.

Understand that cats are driven by instinct and are not on this world to torment people. Know about cat behavior and be able to understand cat language.

Be able to provide for the physical needs of the animal(s) attention, food, fresh water, litter box maintanence.

Have adequate space for the cat especially in a multi-cat home. Know your limits and learn to say no to that cute little kitten that just desperately needs a home- because guess what, they all need homes.

Spay and Neuter all your pets. If they are strays and they have to be outside, spay and neuter them to help safeguard them from at least unwanted pregnancies and cat fights

If you want your cats outside, do your research first. Vaccinate, find out about all the predators in your area, coyotes do a short work on a kitten, leaving behind usually nothing but pawprints and blood, know about birds of prey, and other predators. If you open your doors so the cat can play outside, understand the risks of doing so and set yourself for future loss especially if you live near a busy road.

Make sure if your cat is indoor, there is plenty to keep them occupied. Cat trees, cat ramps, window perches, fish tanks.

Know what can harm a cat- keep a list- aspirin, chocolate (semi sweet) toxic plants the list is endless. Understand the risks of using over-the counter products on your cat and only use what is sanctioned by your vet whether holistic or conventional.

Have an emergency fund set up, because emergencies do come up. Also have a disaster plan and a safe place where you and the animals can go in case of a natural disaster-

Don't declaw- true there is a lot of hype around declawing, but cat's need their claws. If you are putting your needs for nice furniture over the comfort of your cat then please don't get a cat. And although it is true that some cats go through life with no behavioral problems after a declaw, it is an incredible amount of pain and confusion to ask your cat to go through on your behalf.

Listen to your cat- you can learn much if you do.