What is a fair price?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband just started a new job (He now has 2- and it is a huge blessing this second job, it is full time and good pay). My question is this

On weekdays, he rides the bus so that isn't a big deal. On Weekends, we have to pay gas/wear and tear on the person who takes him in the morning. Now, it is 13 miles there and 13 miles back. Gas is now $1.95 a gallon in our town where the guy fills up. Their van gets approximately 20 miles per gallon, so we figured a gallon each direction (which would be $3.90). We offered $5.00 and the guy said that was fine. Then today he called me, complaining that "$5 isn't enough, I was coasting home on fumes!" and wants more. - He is asking for $5 each way.

This is the husband of our cleaning lady and he is generally trying to make a quick buck. I have a suspicion he is trying to play on our sympathies. He quit his job because he "can't work". And they are always claiming poverty, etc but buy $100 and $200 toys for their grand kids and such, etc....... a lot. This is of course the husband of the lady I told you in my last post, asking for meds and food, etc.

I can understand literally needing gas money as neither one of them have a job and apparently her pay check from cleaning goes to child support...  We are getting a car Feb 20 so it is temporary.

Texas standard mileage is 57 cents. I think $5 each way is more than fair... but is it too much? How much literally does 13 miles wear and tear on a car?

Any thoughts would be great. How much would be fair to pay?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he going there anyway or is he driving your husband there specially? That makes a difference, I think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then you really ought to be paying for his time too :/. If he's willing to do it for $5 each way I'd consider that a bargain.

I mean, if you paid IRS mileage at 57.5 cents a mile and minimum wage for his time (at least half an hour, probably more if it's not all highway?), that would be $14.95 for mileage and around $5 for his time.

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If he is going out of his way to do this, I think $5 each way is reasonable.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, the fact that he's going out of his way makes a big difference. Good thing it's only temporary!