What info to put on ID tag?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting a new ID tag for one of my cats and I am trying to decide what to put on it. It won't fit very much info, just 1 line and a phone number. I don't generally put the cat's name on the tag.

I usually put "If I'm Alone I'm Lost" or "Lost if Alone" but those won't fit on this small sized tag, so I was thinking of putting "Needs Meds" instead?

I am also wondering which phone number is better to put on the tag, my cell phone or my home phone? I am a little worried if I put my cell phone, that I could possibly change to a new number in the future. We've the same home phone # forever so it's less likely to change. However it's easier to reach me on my cell phone.

So I'm not sure which is better!

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could also just put both your phone numbers, or your cell and his chip number. Or the Needs Meds would be good too. They aren't expensive so if your number changes you can always replace it.

You can buy a separate "If I'm out, I'm lost" tag to add to his collar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In that case I would go with whatever info is least likely to change.  For us; it's been the opposite. I've had my cell phone number for over 10 years through several moves.  My home number has changed at least 3 times.  So I have my cell on my girls tags.  The ones they have are 2 sided so they have their name and our last name on the front and the back fit our address and my cell.  (I just looked at Noodles' tag because I couldn't remember...she's now giving me the evil eye.  Grumpy cat is still in her Christmas collar! 
)

Do you think  you could get a discrete inexpensive tag to add behind the new pretty one like Cat Dad suggested?  My girls do also wear their reflective microchip tags.  Their regular ones are just the little pink heart; but it's not too bulky that I can tell.  Other than Noodles never wanting her collar changed neither seem to complain.  

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I might be able to do that. Usually, I use the Boomerang Tags Collartags (nameplates that slide on) but this collar I have is leather and those tags won't slide on to it because of the thickness, so I needed a hanging tag.
The tag I'm getting is two sided, in a way, but the other side is going to look like this :) : https://img0.etsystatic.com/016/1/5464579/il_fullxfull.443428334_642w.jpg

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where you live, do they give you a rabies metal TAG that you can attach to the collar?  The rabies tag should have a certificate number on it; I would think they could track you through that number.  A rabies tag also is a pretty good indication that the cat is owned/lost, not stray/dumped.

I would put what ever phone number lasts the longest, work phone number even.

Is he microchipped? Some microchip companies also furnish a metal tag that you can attach to the collar.  And any animal shelter/hospital will scan for free.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the vets here give a metal rabies tag, but it's huge and ugly so I usually just store it with their medical records and don't put it on the collar. They also are microchipped but those tags are plastic and also quite large and just give the name of the company and phone # so I also store those forthe cats since I dont like to put a bunch of stuff on their collars (my dogs wear theirs). If there's room on their tags I add "microchipped". I asked if I could put that on this tag for the 1 line but it was too long to fit.
My work # would actually either be the same as my cell or my vet's #, I work for them. When I have a tag with a lot of space I put the clinic's number too. The problem with putting it as the primary number is if you call not during office hours you just get a message saying to call the emergency vet, and you can't even leave a voicemail. So it wouldn't be the best choice for a lost pet instance. My dog's tag does have the clinic number on it under 'vet' but it also has my home and cell numbers since it's a larger size for a large dog.

ravenjays

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.

I would usually put your kitty's name on one side, and your phone number on the other side. Good luck!

-Ravenjays

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do names, just because I think other info is more important. As many phone numbers as you can fit, and I like an address but I guess that won't fit.

Oh, and Boomerang does make double thick tags for smaller sizes too :D http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=S&ID=18 so you could use that for info and the pretty tag for decoration. But the double thick tags are slide-on so that would only work if it's a buckle collar.

Last edited: