What if the doctor says, "no cats"?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am allergic to cats, and have asthma as well. I take lots of allergy meds, and try to be smart about how I interact with Abby. She is not allowed in the bedroom, I wash my hands after petting her, etc. I did see an allergist about 5 years ago that told me to get rid of my cat. I eventually stopped seeing him. I went to a different allergist 2 weeks ago. I had the full allergy tests done, and as expected, I was allergic to cats. The doctor asked me if I had a cat, and when I said yes, he asked if she was allowed in the bedroom. When I said no, and I explained I was doing all the right things, he was satisfied. I had my first allergy shot last week. Many doctors are too quick to blame a pet in many situations.

Mind you, I do feel there are people that are so allergic, that they can not survive with a cat in the house. This is a very personal decision that they have to make.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My doctor told me that I am allergic to cats and dogs and my house needed to be rid of them. I just laughed and said "sure, THAT'S gonna happen. I'll get right on it." I think that over time you build up an immunity to the animals that are currently in your household. We got a new cat a little over a month ago. When she first came in the house, my allergies were horrible. But with time, they seem to be improving. I know that it is this way for my Aunt, and my Father too. They both have horrible allergies to other peoples cats, but not their own.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was allergic to cats when I was younger...but I am pretty much immune to it now...

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Sapphire in to spayed today and with all the cats at the Vets, my allergies are KILLING me!!!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Some friends of mine, whose baby has been sick a lot lately, had their doctor tell them to get rid of their cat. The cat belongs to their oldest son who is nine. They put up signs at the school to find a good home for the kitty. Ulimately, they could not give the cat up. He is part of the family and it was breaking their son's heart!

I was SO GLAD! I think doctors say, "get rid of the cat" WAY too much.

I've been allergic to cats all my life, and have had at least one most of my life. The years I didn't have a cat, I did not notice any change in my asthma or general health. I'm also allergic to dust, mold, most grasses, and every kind of tree in North America except one, and can't "get rid of" those! But I always wash my hands after petting a kitty and keep the floors and bedding reasonably clean.

Have you had a doctor tell you this? What did you do?

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I havnt had a docotr tell me no cats but I have had them tell me no rats. I'm allergic to their pee. Not their dander. So as long as I keep them and their things clean I do ok. But if not I can get really really sick from them.