What if I become one of the people that they hate? Terrified of breaking cats' trust. Family of fera

cat-nap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Sorry for the double post! Flagged it for deletion. Please ignore my other thread if it is still currently up: 

Hello! I posted here once before, in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/301334/...y-of-ferals-1-adult-and-5-kittens-in-backyard

Long story short, I'm a young adult who found a family of ferals living in my parents' backyard this July. My parents saw the cats as pests, and regularly tried to terrify them into leaving. I discussed alternatives with my parents, and though they disagreed, I set up a regular feeding schedule for the cats in hopes of taking them to be spayed and neutered. I wanted to have at least the spaying / neutering done before November, when I move up-state for work. 2 weeks after I first posted here (where I received some great advice), I attempted to trap the cats. I failed for a couple weeks, and would see the cats avoiding the trap in favor of catching rats on my parents' property. Afterwards, I put the traps away for a later period, and started putting food outside the trap.

During this time, I got really attached to the four kittens. Fast forward 3 months, and the kittens are now attached teenaged cats who've been saddled with hipster names: Sable, Osric, Chauncey and Leda. Sable, the black cat, meows for me every morning.  It and Osric lick my toes when they want food. The family follows me around the yard.  We play string games together. They maul my stuffed animals. When I move into the backyard and sit down, they run from whichever corner they've been hiding in to sleep next to me. Lately, even the most notoriously fearful Leda started to come over when I called. When I'm home alone, they follow me into the house, exploring the rooms. I've started to harass my friends with cat-stories-of-the-day. Theoretically, this should mean that I should have no qualms trapping them because it probably wouldn't be very hard to. If the trap where large enough and I went in, it's likely that they would follow. 

I'm just really scared of breaking their trust. I don't want to be another human terror. Because of their circumstances, they've become very distrustful of other people, even defensively aggressive. My parents had previously chased them with flashing lights, brooms and accidentally closed Sable in our 100+ degree garage without food or water for 3 days. I assumed they had intimidated Sable into leaving, and only realized that Sable had never left when I heard it calling at night. When Sable went missing, Osric and Leda stopped eating around me. Other visiting family members also shouted at them and mimed kicking motions when they saw the cats. When I left on work trips, they took away the cats' timed feeders and threw away their sleeping blankets and toys, because they were afraid those items would attract possums. Recently, my parents agreed to let me attempt to trap the cats and temporarily stop frightening them. During their time here, the cats have had positive experiences with few people. They either hide from other people or hiss and growl, feet in a pouncing position. I'm afraid they would soon be reacting that way to me after I trap them. I'd really like to adopt them and take them with me, but I'm afraid I'd just be exposing them to one unwelcome situation after another. 

I also remember how they used to behave, when I could only see them eat if I was at least 20 feet and often over 10 yards away. They would dash away as soon as I opened the door. They ran the other way if they saw me. I'm afraid that if I trap them, they'll see me as another monster that they have to hide from or hiss at. I've been dragging my feet, and I know that's unproductive. They're probably 4-5 months old, and it might not be long before they reach sexual maturity. 

To posters who've had a good relationship with their feral cats after trapping, what is your advice about what to do? Anything would be appreciated! Sadly, I also don't have a comfortable room for the cats after trapping, since my parents would rather not have ferals in their house. It's already hard for them to accept that I've been feeding the cats on their property. The cats will be taken to my shed for recovery from surgery, but the shed gets very hot and is full of tools. They'll have to be placed in a large kennel and a portable air conditioner will be kept running. Please let me know if you see large warning signs. I'm really worried that I'm fudging this all up.

:) photos to share 

Chauncey: orange mackerel tabby

Osric: gray ticked tabby

Leda: Hazel blotched tabby

Sable: not a tabby ;) 

About to maul their favorite new toy: 

Thea: long-suffering mother to the ragtag bunch, who had to sniff for crumbs after her hungry children demolished the food every evening. She still drops by weekly-biweekly to check on them, and occasionally ushers them out of the shed where they like to play when I'm working. 

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. You are not fudging everything up.You are going with your Heart.You love them and obviously they love you.you are doing the right thing.the unfortunate part is that you have no cooperation from your family.And to be honest it sucks big time.Actually makes me ill.But I guess that is what seperates Us animal lovers from the non ones.They need to be fixed.You know that.You are doing this out of the goodness of your heart.Not to hinder them.Without you where would they be? Unfortunately we cannot see into the future.But spaying & neutering is the first step.I have trapped & care for 68 ferals.Two colonies .One living at a steel mill .The other a wood mill.Not a blade of grass for twenty miles.I have found many dead babies.Many horrific things.Kitties being pregnant at 4months only to go into birth knowing nothing & the kittens dying before I could get in there to save them.I could go on & on.Mine all have names & yes they have forgiven me.They know my scent.I grow them grass.Give them lots of clean water daily & good fudz.Take my angel's catnip toys there & my old pillow cases cut up into pces with my scent on them.You cannot make cruel people uncruel.I think you are doing the right thing.As long as they have time to recover,which isn't too long they will survive! You have to believe that.Go with your heart.As soon as they are of age with the testosterone & going into heat,they will lve your life.Possibly being killed in their travels.Sending you positive strength to know you are doing the right thing & yes they will continue to love you.Even if they leave for awhile.They know you & the impression you made on them.Hugs C. BTW they look darling!

jimvierling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just make sure to let them know that you are there for them during the recovery period. They will probably forgive you. Make sure they have their favorite toys and everything that they had before the spaying/neutering. The only thing that changed is that they can't make more babies, but they are still your friends.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have done TNR on so lots of cats.  I have always worried about their return and their relationship after the process.  Yet I feel very strongly that no matter what I am doing the right thing.  If I leave them to be and do not go through with TNR, there will be cats everywhere.  I realize I have to take the chance.

Since the kittens are doing so well with you, is there a chance they are adoptable?  Maybe you could try to find homes for them.

I hope you are able to trap the Mom cat too.  She needs to stop reproducing or you will have kittens each year.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree Jim & Shadows rescues.They need to know where the food is at.I have 8 feeding stations.And so true about the many kitties that will come from unfixed ones.Mine are feral, Feral and think of me as a coyote although in the background they know i love them & feed them.These little ones are adapting to human intervention which is huge.I believe also there could be a chance for adoption possibly.Hugs C.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually had nightmares and got sick to my stomach thinking of spaying my strays/ferals. And I still do! My little female who I took in last week only comes around at 4 in the morning when I first get up, so I had to lock her in a shed for 4 hours until the vet opened. My stomach hurt all day. She came through fine! I can hardly see her incision! She was up and running around with hours, and showed up at her usual time when I left her out after only 12 hours. I know you are scared but letting them get beat up by toms (The males)  and getting raped ( ever watched a cat in heat get followed by 6 males?) and having litter after litter (the females) is not a life at all. They could be mad at you for a while, but believe me they will accept you again. I have accidently hurt my feral and he shied away from me for two days, but he came around. Watch them after they come back, it would be better to have them all done at once if you can, this is so they all smell the same from the vets. If they are extremely distressed afterwards, they can be released sooner if their incisions are not giving them too much pain to move much. I had two beautiful ferals die last year trying to give birth because I could not trap them. Now I feel guilty for not trying harder. I'll pray for you all, good luck!

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Di & Bob.

I can relate totally to what you are saying & Agree!!! Hugs C. I'm glad your little girl came through fine.Think of all the kittens she would have had?? Any yes i have seen a cat in heat with many a male raping them.Not funny.But it is their nature...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat-nap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone! Your support and experiences give me more resolve to proceed with the trapping and means the world to me.

Based on your experiences, would you recommend that I keep them for recovery (during their healing) and let them out as soon as possible after they've healed? [They seem to be terrified of confinement. They've jumped up to the roof/rammed themselves against the windows in the space of a minute when the wind blew the shed door closed once, and consciously avoided the shed for a few days afterwards.]

If I'd like to adopt them and take them with me up-state, should I attempt to trap them again a month later when I move? Would they avoid the trap? 

Jim: Thanks for the reassurance! When you say "make sure they have everything they've had before," do you mean the food/toys/blankets, or also the outdoors? Should they be allowed to recover outside instead of being temporarily confined?

MomofMaxwell: Thanks for keeping an eye on this thread! Your responses have been really encouraging and helpful.  Much love to you for helping feral colonies. I've heard of how tough that gets from other threads here, and can only imagine how much commitment, time and love it takes to continue.

Di and Bob: Thank youu!! I'm so glad to hear that your girl returned after only 12 hours. It makes me really happy :) I expected that their forgiveness would take months if it came, and was worried that I would have to move before they returned. I'm relieved to hear accounts of your ferals returning after days. I'm definitely taking your tip about getting them all spayed and neutered at once. I considered using two traps if I couldn't trap them all at the same time (Chauncey likes to eat later than the others), but I'll take them at the same time.

MomofMaxwell + Jim + Di and Bob: Have you happened to adopt any of your ferals, and if yes, would you have recommendations for what to do / avoid? When I move, I imagine that I'll be driving up-state, and if the cats have forgiven me by then, I'd like move them with me: 

a) the ferals will be in for an 8 hour long car ride, which may make them uncomfortable and frightened

b) I know displacing ferals is very dangerous since they can get lost finding their way back, so I'm planning to keep them indoors for the first few months at least. Are any of my plans inadvisable? 

ShadowsRescue: Thanks for the advice and for bringing the mom up! Yes, I'm trying to trap her separately for TNR. I didn't mention it because Thea already sees me as a skulking cat-napping predator, and so I know that while she'll be scared, she'll have a colony to return to afterwards if she never comes back. There will be less broken trust because she hasn't decided to trust me yet.

I'm going to try to adopt the younger cats after their spaying/neutering for sure. I realize that moving up with me may not be the best for them though, and I might have my  resources drained by taking on 4 cats at once. I've contemplated/inquired about adoption among my friends and social circle, but no one has experience with ferals. Some of my friends visited expecting to see house cats, and are taken aback when the cats don't act as expected. I love the cats and would really like them to go to a good home if they can't come with me. I will ask shelter if any of the people they know are interested 

I'd be more comfortable if the cats went to a home that understands ferals, because while they love attention and play, they are very finicky with strangers. The moment someone else steps foot onto the driveway, the cats will dart out of the backyard. If they stay, they will hide in trees. If the stranger stays over several days, they usually stop eating. Sable is aggressive with my family members, but not anyone else. I've experienced Sable's fury when it mistook me a family member. It would go from a teeth bared, claws out, spitting furious cat to a meowing, plaintive one once it heard me speak/recognized me. They will need a lot of time and patience. 

cat-nap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Di and Bob + MomofMaxwell: yes! I'm terrified of young cats reproducing or getting raped. I learned recently that a very well fed, tall and large outdoor cat regularly roams my neighborhood, and once, I've seen it wriggling under my parents' gate late at night, and languidly trotting to the ferals' favorite hiding space. The ferals didn't interact with it and stayed close to me and the house that night. Seeing the cat come is what finally prompted me into posting here. The ferals are at least 1/3rd smaller the outdoor cat, and whom I worry about not being neutered. 

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat nap.No I haven't adopted any of my ferals.adults or kittens for health reasons.It does take alot of patience and a certain person to earn their trust.With my Ferals I don't belong to an organization or rescue.I am pro bono.Paid to have all them fixed,shots etc.One my last catch was my biggest 29 lb Main Coon.He had an injury to his eye for the longest time.But was extremely hard to trap.Finally i got him.I should have been in the movies as this 3 foot long trap he was running back & forth,the ground was unstable and well we both almost went for a ding.he was a big boy!!!Something you'd see out of a Lucy show.LOL.He ended up losing his eye and was in horrific pain the vet said.But I still see him from a distance.His name is One Eye.I cuddle the heck out of mine while they are under for surgery.It is my one chance to kiss them & hug them.Yours have been exposed to you at a younger age.Which is great!!!I understand you wanting to take them with you as your family is not animal friendly people.You should tell them if it wasn't for the ferals your house would be infested with Rats.Do you know how many males & females you have? I usually because of a spay is much more involved keep them in the crate a little longer.Neuters i release when they have almost all their bearings.Not right out of it as any predator could be around.Travelling well if that is in a month from now who knows they may be eating out of your hands.Do you have catnip around the area they hang out.Do you have like a feeding station that is covered from the weather where food,blankets,water etc are? This is where I put the catnip,& toys & real grass as they have none.I also take things(Clothes ) pillow cases with my scent on them .Cut them up for them to keep on smelling.Travelling you are right they don't relocate well.It just depends.My colonies are in the 30's.you have how many?Are they siblings do you think?Do they hang out with other ferals?I tried in the beginning to relocate some as farmers wanted cats for rodent patrol.And the conditions of a steel mill and wood mill there is nothing.But that was not the right thing to do.They want to be in their colony.Alot happier.They know each other.They know the area etc.The key for any colony is to have feeding stations like i mentioned.Wnters are cold.Many cats freeze to death.If they know where the food & water & shelter is they usually return.But if you are leaving you have a very tough decision.But spaying 7 neutering should be your first plan of action.i used to bring like three neuters in at one time.Or say one or two spays.All depends on the money situation,your vet etc.HTH Hugs to those babes.C.

cat-nap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MotherofMaxwell: The babes would hug you back for all your help :) It sounds like you work an incredible job, and the ferals you help are lucky to have a such caring and dedicated caregiver. I hope One Eye is on the way to recovery! He is a lucky boy. 

Ahaha, yes! I've told my family that the cats are prolific mousers. Ever since they moved in, we no longer find peeled lemons hanging on our lemon tree, with the peels eaten but the fruit left intact. That tree is one of Leda's favorite hangout spots, and I've seen Osric dig two mice out of the ground there, make the kill, and bury them for a midnight snack. When we have guests inside the house, and the cats are too intimidated to eat at their feeding spot, they hunt mice and eat them on top of our fence (which is covered by trees).   

Sadly, I can't tell how many males and females I have. I've become quite sure that Sable might be a tom, because it is much larger than its siblings, with a wider skull, broader features, and a very long tail. I suspect that Sable's bonded partner, Osric, might also be a tom because of its slightly larger size and broader features. Chauncey and Leda have very narrow features and small skulls compared to the other two. At worst, I might have 1 tom and 3 queens (excluding the mum). At best, it might be 2 toms and 2 queens. 

Hopefully they'll feel safe eating out of my hands in the future. Sable is close to it, but becomes scared at the last second and jumps away. They're comfortable with nudging my feet with their faces, but don't like it when I'm the one doing the moving. Before, they would run for life when I twitched or moved, but now they're alright with moving hands and feet as long as those things are a safe distance away (around 3 ft). I'm so thankful for the progress, especially since I know how hard it was for them. I expected that they would never come closer than their original 20 feet barrier, and now I know how very lucky I am to have met them as younger cats. 

Thanks so much for your advice about making them feel comfortable. I'll definitely try the old clothes, toys and real grass method. I have some dried catnip that they don't seem to get much of a reaction out of. They're mostly disinterested in it and always seem disappointed when I entice them with it instead of food, as if thinking, "Oh, the big predator brought straw again. What do I do with it?" It sounds like fresh catnip might work better, and I'll get that set up! 

I wasn't able to set up a feeding station for them because my parents are against having one in their lawn. My parents are afraid a station would draw in possums and rats. I'm fond of the possums, but I've moved the cats' feeding time to the early morning so they don't compete for food. Recently, one of our old mattresses has been propped against my parents' house, and the cats use it to sleep in most of the day. The garage truck will come for the mattress the next week, and I'm sad that they won't have their home for much longer. They really love it. I used to open the shed door every night for the cats to sleep in, but no longer do it because my parents close the door whenever they see it opened. I'm terrified that they'll close a cat inside who will be screaming frantic. 

The cats are all likely siblings as they were reared by the same mom. Thea used to come and herd her band of kittens around the yard, though they were rarely spotted. There are 4 cats in my parents' yard, with one regularly visiting (Thea mom cat). I don't know how large the colony is or its location, but I'm positive that Thea returns to the colony frequently. Sable, Osric, and Leda do not hang out with other ferals as far as I know, but I'm not sure if they've interacted when I wasn't watching. When I watch them during the weekends, they seem to spend 90% of the time in my parents' yard. They occasionally pop into the neighbor's vegetable garden to hide in the shade, and during the high summer heat, Sable and Osric went sewer diving. Chauncey used to spend all of its time in the yard sunning belly up, but after I left on one work trip it no longer does. This was the trip where their food, blankets and toys were thrown away. I returned to find Chauncey and Leda cowering under the neighbor's car. Even after I brought new blankets to the yard, Chauncey preferred to sleep under my car instead of in the yard. Now, it's gone from car sleeping to disappearing. It doesn't show up for food regularly, and when it does it eats late. However, it comes every couple days to spend hours playing string with its siblings and me. It also returns to cuddle its blankets and bat its favorite toys. I'm not sure if Chauncey interacts with the feral colony. I hope I'll make the right decision :( 

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat-Nap.

Yes One eye has healed perfectly fine.A very lge handsome boy!!! You have made such huge progress my girl!!!Just wonderful.is there any way you could find a old Doghouse? Sometimes people have them on Craig's for free.You would need to cut a hole out of the backside.Not too lge but lge enough for an escape.Cats always need an escape.Possums are already there.You & your parents aren't seeing them.If there are Rats there is a food source.It may be your neighbors garden whatever.I trapped a possum by accident once.Kinda freaked me out.I was young at this and really didn't know what to do.It's teeth were like barbed wire.I phoned a rescue i knew & they told me just open the door and he will take his time & walk away.So I did.No aggression from it nothing.your parents need to get a grip.Sorry.As for re-trapping I was always told when younger once you trapped a cat it will never forget.That is a fallacy.I have retrapped many of my ferals at the two colonies.I still constantly have traps set.Check them at midnight every night.You just have to.You will make the right decision.And feel good that these little ones have learned from you that there Is one Human in this world that cares.go with your heart.Hugs.C.P.S. After spaying or neutering I never release them in the dark.My appt's with my vet are early in the am.I have trapped them the night before & they stay in my garage.With water only no food.For fasting for being put under.If something comes up where there is an abscess or something and it needs opening & flushing & I am only back by dark.I put food through the trap and keep them in there til early morning.Not the best set up but??? Just what I do.Everyone would be doing things differently of course.I also use old sheets to cover the trap.it does help calm the kitties down for me while I am carrying them etc.XXX

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more you can trap at a single time the better.  They learn quickly, but not that quickly, that the trap is not to be trusted, especially if they all investigate it together.  So any way you can trap them is good.  I trapped Gracie, then Honey, then Nat and Oreo but not the others.  They were too smart or shy, don't know which.  Any gains in trust will be lost for a time, but don't despair. They will get over it afterwards especially if it is YOU that comes to rescue them from the vet's office and back to the freedom that they knew.  Just extend the same patience to them you always have in gaining their trust again.  One bonus is after they are spayed/neutered they might even seem to like you more.  Harry always hated my guts and looked at me as if I was the spawn of the devil.  What a horrible look on his face whenever I got close to him!  But afterwards he started cozying up to me and one day he began to purr!  It took a while, but it happened.  Good luck!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some more pics of my kitties when they were feral.  In the first one, yes I put out milk for them a few times, before I learned better.  That's baby Honey trying to make herself as small as possible to avoid detection, lol.  Behind the door cutout were two or three of her siblings.  Then there's baby Nat hiding behind the jasmine bush between me and my next door neighbor's house out back.  

Below is an older Nat and Honey coming by for a visit and an early snack if possible. I was so naive.  I thought they just came to visit me!  In the next one is Honey and Oreo who was rolling in joyous anticipation of being fed.  Honey didn't appreciate it one bit.  Note the hooty ears!

Here's Ned in my attic.  I was trying to get him to come down.  (He didn't, not in this picture.) Long story.  All told, he spent a month up there in January 2005.  Daily trips to the attic to feed and scoop litter.  Fun!  Then there's Harry on the left sink and Honey on the right.  Harry is giving me the evil eye!

cat-nap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MomofMaxwell: Thank youu! Your encouragement and tips always brighten my day. I'm relieved to learn that re-trapping is possible, since it seems like letting them out as soon as possible after surgery would be the best option. Dog houses have been suggested to me in the last thread too, so I should finally make the move to get them and hide them behind the shed :) I think those can be safely hidden away for a few weeks while I'm still here. Should the cloth that I cover the trap with be black, or does color not matter? Should I cover the top/sides of the trap during the trapping process - while I'm luring them in with food, but before I actually spring the trap?  [Aha, you're right, the possums are already here. When the cats ate at night, they used to eat with the cats. The possums were so friendly and fearless (fearless for food!) that I ended up naming them too.]

Ginny: Your kitties are adorable!!! It's hard for me to concentrate because they're so fluffy. Please share more if you get the chance :> :> I love seeing pictures and hearing stories. Thanks for the wonderful advice and reassurance about being their rescuer from the vet :) I will come with their toys and blankets. Would you happen to have tips to calm them while they're being taken to the vet? Should I speak to them, or would that just lead them to associate my voice with trauma? Should I let them smell me so that they know I'm there? Or would it be better to try to disassociate my presence from the vet episode, possibly by even asking a friend to drive them over? 

cat-nap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ginny: I couldn't resist commenting more about your kitties :> So cute! They seem to still have their kitten blues in the earliest photos <3  I love Honey's disgruntled expression (coupled with the BEST hooty ears), and Oreo's roll is just adorable. I see that your sinks have been graciously re-purposed into cozy napping spots by Harry and Honey. Did you happen to move your kitties into your home immediately after trapping them? How did you help them get accustomed to the indoors?

My little fiends also come to beg for food at later hours, pulling out all their tricks to entice me into dropping a snack. Sometimes they will settle for playing with the string-toy if no food is forthcoming, but other times they will just lie by the backdoor. As if saying, "Eh, eventually the Big One will relent and give us munchies. It always does." Sable is the worst offender, with Leda coming in a close second, and if I give one a snack, I have to give all snacks. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ginny: I couldn't resist commenting more about your kitties :> So cute! They seem to still have their kitten blues in the earliest photos <3  I love Honey's disgruntled expression (coupled with the BEST hooty ears), and Oreo's roll is just adorable. I see that your sinks have been graciously re-purposed into cozy napping spots by Harry and Honey. Did you happen to move your kitties into your home immediately after trapping them? How did you help them get accustomed to the indoors?

My little fiends also come to beg for food at later hours, pulling out all their tricks to entice me into dropping a snack. Sometimes they will settle for playing with the string-toy if no food is forthcoming, but other times they will just lie by the backdoor. As if saying, "Eh, eventually the Big One will relent and give us munchies. It always does." Sable is the worst offender, with Leda coming in a close second, and if I give one a snack, I have to give all snacks. 
Aww thanks for the comments!  So glad you like the pictures.  I tried to keep them in order of their age.  I liked your pictures too!  They look sweet and very tame!  Are they about 3 months old in those pics?

I started trapping my kitties in the summertime, beginning with mama Gracie whose pic I didn't include in that set.  She's the one of the left in my avatar beside her son Nat.  They were born in the late winter/early spring as best I could tell.  First saw them in May and they looked to be about 6 weeks old or so.  I finally got Oreo neutered late summer early fall.  By then the rest wouldn't come near the trap.  They were on to me.  I only had one trap and no help doing this.  

We didn't have a low cost spay/neuter clinic in my city at the time so they had to go to Asheville every other Wednesday via a nearby county's humane alliance, so I would trap on Wednesdays when I didn't work.  It took me a long time doing it that way with no one else to help.  

Late fall that year I got notice to stop feeding the kitties per the home association manager or else I'd be fined $150 per day.  They knew I was practicing TNR but did not care, they just wanted the cats gone.  I prepared a rebuttal with information about TNR, but again, they only wanted the cats to disappear.  I didn't know it but at the same time the manager had dispatched Animal Control to trap and kill them.  Three of them went missing before I realized that, sadly.  It still angers me to this day.  

I had had several of them spayed/neutered by that time, so I had no choice but to bring them inside before any more of them went missing.  GETTING them inside was fairly easy for all but one, Ned.  After much practice and worry over him getting trapped in the city's traps, I finally got him in my utility closet on my back porch (in the pic with Honey hiding beside the door cut out).  Ned clawed his way from the closet to my attic where he spent the month of January.  I opened the attic door to give him some warmth and he would come and visit me and look at the goings on "downstairs" in my house.  I thought I saw a twinkle in his eyes when I talked to him.  He is a sweet kitty. 

One night he started rolling (like Oreo) around the opening of the attic and he fell down!  Luckily he fell on to carpet below and seemed ok, just a little shaken.  That's how I finally got him inside my house with all the others!  It took an adjustment period that's for sure.  

I had originally planned to find a farm where they could be mousers, but quickly found out that all the other Feral Cat rescue groups were looking for the same thing!  So that's how I ended up with 7 indoor kitties.  Down to 5 now :(

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Would you happen to have tips to calm them while they're being taken to the vet? Should I speak to them, or would that just lead them to associate my voice with trauma? Should I let them smell me so that they know I'm there? Or would it be better to try to disassociate my presence from the vet episode, possibly by even asking a friend to drive them over? 
I drove each one of them over, came back and picked them up.  I made the mistake of visiting Nat right after his surgery.  He hissed at me.   Once I got him back, he got over that very quickly and was very glad to be back home.    He was the only one who seemed to be mad at me but even that didn't last long.  I anguished over sending each of them off too, so I know how you feel.  You had mentioned, or someone did, about putting a sheet over the trap.  That sounds like a good idea.  I believe I did that with each of them too, but it's been so long ago I don't recall.  

So, I really don't know if it matters so much that you are associated with sending them to get the surgery or not.  I wonder what others experiences have been?  Just as long as you bring them back to their lovely home, I believe they will forgive you.  ;)

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat-Nap.You're kitts are a different type of scenario than what I have dealt with.What were your plans as per trapping them? Do you have traps.?Were you planning on trapping one at a time to the vet or get all of them or?? Where i trap some traps I lve uncovered while others if it's raining or going to rain. I have lge tote plastic lids I put on top of the traps so the rain doesn't get rid of the food & if kitty gets trapped he/she is not going to get poured on.in good weather it is a hit n miss thing.usually put a big rock or something heavy on the lid.Sometimes it goes fling!!Some if against a building i kind of disguise with things all around it but the opening & I never cover the other end either.So if a kitty were to look inside she/he could see right through the traps.I do not use drop traps.Mine are havaheart metal traps where you have to lift the door and hook the little hook to keep the door up in the air.They have remote powered ones that are pretty slick.Mine are quite old.But suffice.I also use pces of newspaer & I put small blobs of really fishy food.Like friskies tuna or i've used pces of sardines or something and on the ground kind of make a small walkway of newspaer with very tiny blobs of meat leading into the trap.I put a paper coffee filter cone type in the trap just over the plate that they need to step on and put a good size blob of meat there.Not too close to the step plate as kitties can reach over with their necks and eat the meat without triggering the traps.Once inside & I stay well away with binoculars That  is when i take just a pce of a bed sheet doesn't have to be black anything.Say a single sheet cut in half.I approach the cage and put the cover right over the whole works fast..Grab the handle under the cover & carefully ,calmly haul them away.I do talk to them but sometimes I think it makes things worse.You have to understand my ferals are completely feral.They think i'm having them for a meal.Upon returning sometime they are put back in the traps and other times i have the vet put one in a carrier.More room.And release them in that.All depends on the situation.In all honesty thinking about it I don't know in your situation if i would lure them into a trap or set the traps where you normally see them & talk to them.I may put a trap at the other end of the yard so they don't associate the "AREA" as being a bad place.Just what i would do.I would not trap them like they were friends.i would trap them like ferals.Also i use a truck that has a canopy on t and holds quite a few traps.If i set 6 traps let's say and i get three hits.I am carrying the pces of sheet as i approach & cover all that have a cat inside.Then carryOne or more depending on weight  to the truck right away.Close the tailgate with a sheet on top.Then another etc.I often relocate my traps if no hits as cats roam all over the place.Because real ferals at least one's i've trapped do not cry they just get kinda frantic inside the cage I feel covering it over helps soothe them a bit.Yours on the other hand may cry.I don't think talking to them, reassurring them they'll be ok will help.I would deal with the situation with what you may think of as a cold heart.They will smell you.But talking may make them remember more than you want them to.It really depends on them.Upon returning i agree with Ginney to take them back to exactly the same place.No fuss or anything open & gone.I would release one at a time.just what I would do.HTH C.

cat-nap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ginny: You are right on the money! Yes, they around 3 months old in the pics :) They are very sweet for attention, which makes me feel fuzzy every time I think about it. I think it's because I'm the only one who can make the stuffed animals come alive for a good stalking, pouncing and shredding. Aside from their defensiveness around my family and their aggressive style of play, they are very tame. Excluding Sable, their first instinct is to run instead of fight.

There is no birdie on this string, because birdie has been mauled off, beheaded and de-stuffed.

What's sad is that Sable probably would have made a great-people-cat, because it is the most fearless and takes the most risks. It's a mischievous, brazen little predator. It was the first to enter the shed, the first to explore the garage, the first enter the house, and the first to approach me when I had food. It is also the biggest attention hog (to the point of choke-holding and pounce-attacking its siblings into leaving so it could receive more attention. what a jerk. it was told no and spent the next several minutes upending their water bowls and sulking). Sable was the only cat to approach other members of my family, but it was chased away with brooms and screams. Because it used to sleep outside my opened shed door, it became an easily visible cat, and was most often subjected to the flashing industrial light chase. After accumulated episodes, the cat that looked at me with the most love spitefully glared at me, looking as though it would bite the moment I set food down. Sable's reactions made its siblings apprehensive, and they would speed away when they saw me. Osric would still sit by the shed but high-tail it to the next yard when I so much as twitched. During that time, I thought our budding relationship was over. I was in low spirits, thinking about how terrified they were of me. Sable returned to its attention-seeking ways after I found it trapped in the garage, but  its reactions to most people now range from hatefully hissing to an attack stance. 

Tassel-prey take the most dedication to rip apart. Osric is up for that task. 

We didn't have a low cost spay/neuter clinic in my city at the time so they had to go to Asheville every other Wednesday via a nearby county's humane alliance, so I would trap on Wednesdays when I didn't work.  It took me a long time doing it that way with no one else to help. 
Big kudos to you for making that drive and doing it time and time again. You're awesome! 
Late fall that year I got notice to stop feeding the kitties per the home association manager or else I'd be fined $150 per day.  They knew I was practicing TNR but did not care, they just wanted the cats gone.  I prepared a rebuttal with information about TNR, but again, they only wanted the cats to disappear.  I didn't know it but at the same time the manager had dispatched Animal Control to trap and kill them.  Three of them went missing before I realized that, sadly.  It still angers me to this day.  
That's terrible. Especially when your home association manager already knew you were administering birth control, but seemed to prefer an expedient solution to a humane one. I'm glad that you were able to save most of the kitties, who now have a good home and a loving human. I'm upset even hearing about it;  it must have been extraordinarily tough to experience. 
 I had originally planned to find a farm where they could be mousers, but quickly found out that all the other Feral Cat rescue groups were looking for the same thing!  So that's how I ended up with 7 indoor kitties.  Down to 5 now :(
I didn't even think of finding a farm! That would have been an option and it makes sense that everyone else involved is searching for the same thing! The best laid plans...You're great for opening up your home to your 7 lovely kitties :( I'm so sorry for your loss. Big hugs. 

A few blurry kitty photos during the days I hid 100 ft away to take creeper snapshots with a DSLR:

Leda

Sable and Osric