What I will do to get Blanche to the Vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

medicinehat_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
.. they take her away in the carrier... I'm wondering if the carrier will fall apart on the way in. She is going to be dipped.. and I'm wondering if they will sedate her. I have to stop and sit down. There are long benches in the waiting room and people are coming and going with their pets. Two dogs decide they are excited to see one another and start barking. A woman comes in with a cat cradled in her arms. The cat looks in much better shape than Blanche .. clean, big, a beautiful coat... the woman is crying. Something has happened. How can something have happened to this cat who looks so much better than Blanche? The cat seems distracted and quiet. The woman sits near me and her companion puts her arm around her to comfort her - she begins to sob. My husband decides to wait in the car.
The woman with the cat is called in quickly and she disappears into the back with her cat. I feel for this woman who I don't know and is feeling such pain in front of strangers. An older couple walks out of the back - the gentleman is craddling in his arms with what appears to be a large, lanky, furry dog who isn't moving. I guess that it is an Afghan. I hear the women behind the counter, the office people whispering as the couple walks out. "He died".
A short while later the woman walks out. The cat is not with her. She says nothing to anyone and goes straight for the door and leaves. Her companion goes to the desk and says "can we get her footprint?"

My heart fills with sadness for these people I don't know, who have crossed my path for a few moments and I'll probably never see again.

I'm getting a bit nervous that Blanche has been so long and as I think this, one of the receptionists calls me up to the counter.
"Blanche will be ready at 1:00. Could you please come back then?"
"Of course."
So I say thanks and that I'll be back then and I open the office door and walk out into the sunshine. It is a hot summer day and our car is parked in the shade. A van pulls up to the walkway and a couple women jump out and behind them, all attached to little leashes, tumbles out several balls of fur that look like St. Bernard Dogs... they are puppies and they are furry bundles of happiness. Their brown and cream coats gleam in the sun and they exude how much they think life is good.
I smile. This is how life begins.
Long ago and far away, Blanche was a bright eyed, fluffy little kitten with her whole life in front of her.

I am very glad to have seen the puppies.
Life begins and it must end... we have to find joy when we can.

I get into the car. "We have to come back later".

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a novel in the making
. I like your comment about how life begins and how it must end, so true, but still so sad, the ending part

Well, so far so good with Blanche too
. Hope it turns out to be all good

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gee what a story....this site ALWAYS pulls on my heart strings...sometimes alittle to much I have to stay away for days..Did she say when she was coming back to finish this story

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

medicinehat_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't believe it has been this long since I first started the thread about Blanche.

I'm so sorry that I never followed up with what happened to her, but long story short, it is 4 months later and she is doing fine and totally bug free!

She still doesn't really trust me.. After all, every time I got near her last summer I was trapping her, putting her in a car and taking her to a strange smelly place with dogs and there people there that - GAVE HER A BATH  - oh my!

It was good to get her to the vet, though. Her tests all came back negative, so after all the bug baths, Blanche is well on her way to being a healthy old cat.

She suprised me a couple weeks ago with a "gift" on our front porch.. . What is amazing about that is that Blanche has almost no teeth!

Her skin is healed completely now.. last winter she had thin fur and big bloody patches where it was missing and she scratched constantly. Going into this winter she has a THICK THICK coat - like there is a double coat - long hair that is thick, almost like lamb's wool. The only bad thing is that it is so dried out from the chemical dips that it mats easily - have to whip out the grooming comb and hope she stays put long enough for me to get the mats out otherwise next spring we will be shaving her... if she lets me get near her..