What have your cats learned from each other?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me of when I first got Rocko. He wouldn't come onto the counters. His previous owners must have trained him well.

I let my cats eat on the counters. Ree Ree can't jump up on them so it lets Fiona eat in peace without him taking over as he has the tendancy to do

It took Rocko a few times seeing Fiona up there to realize he would not get disciplned if he was to go on them too.

#1: His previous owners would be so happy to know that they had trained their cat so well

#2: They would also be mortified that all that training is lost because I let him go where he wants to!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Delilah taught Belle that the counters/stove/other high surfaces aren't unsurmountable territory. However, Belle can't jump that high yet and is none to happy that Delilah can get up there and she can't.
awww... poor Belle!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fred raised every kitten I ever brought home how to be a cat. You would think from looking at him that he was some tough street tomcat instead of a neutered, pampered housecat. He taught them to hunt, bring us food, clean themselves, use the litterbox.
One of the less endearing things was stealing my earplugs right out of my ears without waking me. He would hook one claw in it and ease it out so he could scream in my ear that it was breakfast time. He also taught the others to bat at my eyebrow piercings to wake me. After he taught them, he would just supervise, and he would not get in trouble.
Since he has been gone, we have only added Fluffy, and Scooter and Pepper tried to teach her, but she is pretty well versed on her own. She has lovely manners and has never had an accident with pottying . She would rather go outside than use the litterbox, but I think she came from outside when she was abandoned by the tattoo shop. The others are ill mannered slobs compared to her. She will hold out her paw like "you may have the privilege of clipping my claws" while the others will bite and scratch.

x-vegancandy-x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neat idea for a thread =^.^=

But in my house,it is like my dogs taught my cats! Go to the kitchen certain times,you get food,we sleep on the bed under the blankets,but not by the wall...human mommy sleeps there,anywhere else it is ok!
lol So it's like I have 2 small dogs& 2 cats following me everywhere in the house! XD

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Buffy pretty much learned everything from Willow (who raised Buffy as a 4 week old orphan). She taught her how to roll on the sidewalk (and Buffy decided rolling in dirt was better, much to Willow's disgust), and Buffy, in turn, taught Willow how to climb trees. That was short-lived, though. The first time Willow saw Buffy climb a tree, she was horrified and raced up to the tree in a panic. When she saw Buffy was all right and was in fact having fun, she decided to try climbing a tree herself. She made it up 3 or 4 feet, froze, and came back down. And from then on, every time I was trying to round them up to bring them back inside, they'd fly up trees to elude me. Willow eventually figured out that that HELPS me: I can just grab them at my own eye level. So Willow doesn't climb trees anymore.

Willow was always fascinated by dogs, too, and she would peer through the back door window at my dog (who was an outdoor dog at the time). When Buffy came along, she taught her that, and it was Buffy who watched for hours when Willow couldn't care less anymore. Willow also taught Buffy to drink from the toilet (though neither does it anymore).

Neither of them taught Molly anything when she came along, and Molly didn't teach them anything either (though lately, Buffy seems to be getting "touchy feely", that is, patting my face with her paw when I'm sleeping and she's hungry. That's a Molly trait, though she's been doing it for 2 years now and Buffy has only recently started doing it)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ginger and Mojo taught Trent that it's fun to be naughty.
He was such a good boy before the "little girls" came home. Now he's as likely to be the one getting where he shouldn't be or generally being a brat as any of them.

Ophelia is trying vanely to teach the little girls to leave her the heck alone.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cindy taught Swanie how to jump, and Swanie taught Cindy how to be a "dudette" (Since he's such a dude).

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we first adopted Ripley and Cali, Ripley started to teach herself how to open some of the doors in our house. She then, in turn, taught Cali how to open the doors. Now Cali opens the doors (and just walks right in) and Ripley waits outside the door untill she has been invited to come in

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When i first brought Monster home, he was a 4 week old orphan, we didnt have any other cats, only a dog, so Monster pretty much thought he was a dog until Mittens came along. he acted just like the dog, running to the door if the door bell rang, greeting visitors, stuff like that. Then when Mittens came along, she taught him that he was a cat. (he still runs to the door & greets visitors though). He knew how to get his collar off, i have lost so many collars bc of him, he always manages to get it off in a place where i cant find it. I have given up trying to keep a collar on him, & he has taught Mittens how to get hers off. He taught Mittens to like other cats, & how to play with him.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Abys have taught Rami how to dive bomb...now, Rami (short for Tiramisu) is a 6month old, 4.5kg Maine Coon...my heaviest Aby is Suria and he's around that weight as well (about 10 lbs)...

Trust me, you DO NOT want to be dive bombed by a Maine Coon, followed by an Aby, and then by another one!!