What has your cat caught??

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat usually brought mice. once she ate my brothers rat though. she had kittens and she was teaching them. usually they are dead. but i called her and two of the kittens she was mentoring in from a hunt and she brought a live mice in with her.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing Seb has ever caught is a cold
Ya know the Garfield cat in the comic strip and his little mouse friend? That's Seb. My mom once let her RB cockatiel, Baby, out to play in her apartment. Then forgot and went up to the store. When she came home she found Sebastian and Baby on the floor, Baby just standing there looking at him and Seb with a paw on her head, watching her head bob up and down.
she seemed okay with it but mom almost croaked! He was very gentle

I think Daphne would be a good hunter. Most of the females I have had were. She carries her toys around like she has just caught a gazelle
One of my RB kits, Sarah a beautiful DMH tortie, would roam the fields in the early morning to make sure I had a "treat" waiting for me on the rug by my bed each morning. Wouldn't have been so bad but she always took the parts she wanted first

flicksion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Marmalade is an excellent hunter as we have found to my peril! She had brought me a few dead mice/rats and then one evening as I was just settling down with a nice glass of vino she brought me a live one!!!!
Holy moly, I was not impressed! It was running around everywhere and marmalade just wandered off leaving it for me to deal with!

I kept her in for the next 2 days and it was nowhere to be seen, 2 weeks later it was found in the cupboard under the sink

That was the worst one, she has brought us live birds, rabbirs, rats, spiders, crickets, flys, ewwwww! Don't you just love their little pressies

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because Ping is an inside cat the most he kills is flies. Though he does not bring those to us. He just eats them.

Back when I was a kid we had inside/outside cats. And one of them Boots (a Burmese mix) would kill all kinds of things and bring them home to us. Anything that was smaller than her was fair game to her. One time I came home from school and found a bird in front of our front door and the head in front of my bedroom door. She was proud, me not so much.

heddafish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morty likes to catch Waterbugs. THey would get into the house in the hot damp summer and I hate them with a passion. He would bring them to me and drop them squirming on the floor. I would scream and try to kill them and he'd grab them in his mouth while I ran after him yelling, "don't you dare put that in my room." And where do you think he would put it? Chills down my spine. My other cat Trinity leaves her toys for me, as they are both indoors they can't really hunt. Yesterday I woke up with a smelly wet catnip sock on my leg. Yuck.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mine don't go outside. I like to let whatever creatures that are out there live peacefully, and know that my cats are not a threat to them. They did get a mouse who got inside once, but didn't do anything to it. After it died they got bored and left it for me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

oo and a weasel, she had done a perfect kill and there were no wound marks so my DH got the damn thing stuffed
its looking at me now from the book shelves
That's the one of the craziest things I've read (and for this site that's really saying something)

My boys are indoor cats and do not hunt. In fact, Sho's mother never taught him to. Occasionally he'll find a spider or an escaped cricket an accidentally squish it. Anything larger confuses him, so he usually 'tells' me there's something there.

Tomas might be able to hunt. He does know how to stalk and catches flies that get in the house (but only if they're cornered in a window), along with spiders, escaped crickets, and escaped mealworm beetles. Both cats have found scorpions but didn't actually go after them.
I'm glad Tomas doesn't have access to anything live to kill, he'd surely bring it to me.
His current 'kills' that he's brought me have been.. cat toys (wet toys at that), milk jug rings, pill bottle lids, a large rubber band, a fork, a paper clip, and a soggy kitten spit covered piece of masking tape.

Currently, somewhere around the kitchen and utility area there is a mouse, I'm not holding out much hope that either of them will catch it.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

The 1st one, I caught her dragging in the cat-flap
the 2nd she'd already got into the house and was on her bed plucking the thing - disgusting
That made me laugh and I accidentally scared poor Possum!

Anyway, both my boys are indoor cats. I'd probably
and
if they brought me any "presents" froom outside. All they stalk are their toys and each other, though Loki likes to pounce on my feet when I'm trying to sleep!!!

Tricia

flicksion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is it with cats pouncing on feet when we are in bed? Scares the living daylights out of me, there I am peacefully sleeping and suddenly there is a 'monster' attacking my feet. Still I prefer that to being woken up because my hands are being chewed and kicked.........

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's the one of the craziest things I've read (and for this site that's really saying something)
I remember it was way too crazy for me at the time - I'd rung DH about this weasel and he told me to put it into a Tupperware box and stick it in the fridge

Heres the poor fella in all its glory

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we had a cruddy apartment when i was still in college, and a previous tenant had TONS of pets. including rodents. we knew there was a mouse somewhere because we would hear it. well, that mouse was suicidal, and decided to go into our apartment. the one apartment in the house with 2 cats! bad decision. we had traps, and all kinds of bait. but that mouse was too smart for traps.

the old fashioned kind of trap worked best--a cat.
raven and nabu were camped out by the refrigerator for a couple days. and finally one night (mike was on second shift i think) mike came home from work and the mouse made a break for the open floor. raven had caught and dispatched it before mike could take it away!
nabu helped in the hunt.
mike took it away so raven wouldn't eat it.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoro

Back when I was little, my moms cat caught and brought in a live bat into the house. Man did my mom freak. Ran out of the house like her hair was on fire. I just sat on the couch and watched it fly around lol.
To funny! One of my beloved, Cleo caught a bat once! She was definitely challenged, it was a bit larger then most bats I have seen. Once she got it into the house (thank you Cleo), it got away from her and flew around terrorizing us! Maia's prime catch was a mouse, but she didn't even draw blood, she wanted to play with it! Of course it got away, several times, so we caught it together 2 days latter, she had it pinned in the closet for 2 days!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bearing in mind that my cats are indoor-only ...

Oz has caught mice, voles and gerbils. (And a variety of insects and ... my underwear.) Spike has caught a mouse, a gerbil, and, as of yesterday, a squirrel.
In my house. (Well, he didn't technically catch it: he caught a mouthful of fur, lost his grip, and the squirrel ran out the bathroom window -- thank goodness!) He has also caught many, many insects.

When Oz catches things, he goes into hiding with them and eats them. (I know this, because I caught him hiding behind the furnace with half a gerbil in his mouth. *shudder*) He does not share with the other cats, he does not bring them to me to be praised, he doesn't hide them so that he can eat/play with them later. He just hides and eats them. (He would be praised for bringing them to us. I'm not squeamish. I just don't want him eating his kills.)

When Spike catches things, it's one of two scenarios: A) he tried to play with it, but underestimated his own strength and killed it ("I want to pet the rabbit, George!"); or B) he brings it to me or J as a present (and receives much praise).

On one memorable occasion, for a friend's thirtieth birthday, another friend's cat brought her an injured mouse. He just sort of dropped it at her feet as if to say "Happy Birthday, Auntie H!" He then watched in abject disgust as she shrieked and stared at it in horror. He eventually killed the poor mouse for her, giving her that disgusted look the entire time.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have hunters as well.

My RB cat Sphinx would bring mice, bugs and birds home. Kuce is only interested in mice,frogs and feathers. Lil' Jag is only interested in insects, feathers and is only now getting interested in birds and frogs.

Our biggest hunter is Luvbug. He'll bring home bugs, rodents, birds, frogs, etc.... Not supprising though, he was our stray cat we took in.

zgrrly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Excellent topic!
Snowflake brings NUMEROUS 'toys' in nightly, so there's never a dull moment around here.... Most often it's tree frogs or a mouse, other times rats or baby rabbits.
He doesn't kill 'em either (at least not intentionally), just brings them to his mum (me) and wants to 'play' with them.
(And I, too, set 'em free and/or rehab 'em.)
Altho, with birds it's different. With those, I might first see a few tufts of under-feathers floating around outside and follow the trail 'til I find a mass of feathers somewhere in the yard. There's never any bird remains. I think he takes particular glee in eating the ones that dive-bomb him.

The only diversion was one time when he brought an owl inside! We found it setting up on the ceiling fan and had one HECK of a time getting that back outdoors!!
There's also been moles and prolly hundreds of lizards (which I don't mind because they eat bugs!).
And he does chase/play with, then eat some bugs--including our infamous huge tropical cockroaches aka palmetto bugs, altho he learned to stay away from the large wolf spiders (about 3" diam.) we had at my old house because they BITE!
I watched him learn that lesson: he chased one and the thing jumped onto his belly-- a few seconds later, Snowflake ~jumped~ dropping the spider, which then jumped onto his paw, causing him to ~jump~ again.....needless to say, he ran away from that spider and then just left 'em all alone after that.
Glad to have found this board!
Dawn

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How did i miss this thread?

Living in the tropics and having outdoor cats, the list of "caught" prey is long which include roaches, lizards, rats, bats, giant moths, snakes, frogs, butterflies, flies, fireflies, different birds, worms... They do not eat the prey except for the birds. My cats are a bunch of killers.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikita has caught 3 mice, one of which was the size of a good sized hamster and I think it may have been a pet mouse. Looked very different to the normal tiny little mice that are around.

She killed the big one, killed another small one and one small one I found her playing with, having lots of fun putting it inside my shoes and then fishing it out again. The mouse was absolutely petrified.

I got that one away from her and put outside. Anyway yeah, Nikita is an indoor cat so these rodents have managed to get into my flat. Then again most old buildings where I live have a mouse infestation, it's must a matter of how bad it is and I think Nikita's scent keeps them away most of the time. A few friends of mine want to borrow her because they're having trouble with mice.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last night Wally caught a flying beetle that somehow got into my apartment. He batted it around a bit, but its little legs were still wiggling when Wally swallowed it.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that I have known that Wesley has caught are mice and bugs. It's always nice to open the door and have a dead mouse laying there with no head or something! YUCK!!! But, he has never broughten anything larger then that thank God!! It's funny how when they kill something, they bring it to you like you would be so proud or something!