What Happens If No One Adopts Your Foster Cat?

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh.. this is just a random question on my mind today. I adopted my two cats a few months ago and keep going back online and looking at the TNR group I adopted them from and a bunch of the cats I met there still haven't been adopted.

So... what do you guys who foster do? Will they just live with you forever if you can't find them a home? Or do they usually find one? I'm just curious.

I felt sad seeing that most of them (now just over that cute kitten phase) weren't adopted yet :(
I've kept 8 of the 11 we've rescued in our yard. #fosterfail

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another perspective. The cats are looking for their fur-ever homes. We had one Cat who was at the shelter for many months. She didn't "show well". Often she'd swat the perspective adopter as soon she met her/him, but sometimes she wait and swat after a few pets. She also sometimes bullied the other cats at the shelter. Most of us worried about her fate, but one person remarked, "She's going to pick her new family. She's just waiting for the right person." One day I had an appointment to "show" another cat. As I was waiting, a another woman came by and asked about available cats, specifically cats that were "hard to adopt". As she had a daughter and a cat at home, I did not show her The Cat ( and warned her about her as we passed by) but showed another shy boy. She asked if she could bring her daughter in to meet him. In the meantime my appointment arrived and she and her daughter waited half an hour. As they entered the shelter, the woman warned her twelve year old daughter about The Cat. Suddenly, The Cat jumped from the bench and ran over to the young girl and started rubbing against her and purring! The girl returned her affection! I had to leave for an appointment, but we arranged for the family to return to spend more time with The Cat. They were approved for adoption and took her home three days later. She acclimated quickly to their family (including the other cat) and this Christmas a great picture of her under their Christmas tree was posted on our facebook page!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Every time I take one that I trapped to my vet I start whining about “just what I didn’t need, another cat!”. The vet always just looks up at me and calmly says “ but he needed you”. Can’t argue with that kind of logic. So I take them home, try everything I can to find them a forever home. Sometimes it works but the last 7 times it didn’t...I realized they were already home.

People who foster cats, like those who foster children, deserve a special place...IMO.

Thanks for the great thread!