What happens if 2 different cat breeds interrbreed

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

She was the one breeding those dogs and had "loaned" two of them to her brother.

The point I was making with Judge Judy was that I agreed that the new designer dogs out there these days are really just mutts and folks are trying to make big $'s out of them.

Moggies and mutts really are cool but I hate people calling them pedigree.
I was just curious if she was a complete moron or just a fool. Looks like the former.
What a waste, there's plenty of mixed breeds in shelters that are just as good.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speaking of Siamese, this gorgeous girl fell into my hands yesterday. She was owned by some low-life renters who were getting evicted. When they left (in the middle of the night) they locked her and another kitten up in the bathroom (no food no water) apparently this Siamese turned the water faucet on and they survived. They were found by the real estate agent when she went to check on the house for the landlord. I don't suspect she will be here long, because even being a mix, she is beautiful

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naps With Cats

Well, if you were to breed a Siamese with a Persian you will have a Himalayan.

They are basically referred to as Hybrids.

A Siamese is a Natural Breed (Doesn't have to be bred with another type of cat to become Siamese,

while a Himalayan does have to be bred with another cat, in particular, a Persian, in order to become a Himalayan (to have the coloropoints.

Pure Persians do not have colorpoints.
Himalayans have the colorpoints.

:eek:)

Warmly,

Julie O'
p.s. There are many natural breeds and there are many Hybrids that make a whole different cat.
Actually Himalayans are the same thing as Persian, just a different name used by some organizations. It is not allowed to mix any other breed with Persians (whether it a colorpoint or not), not even Siamese, so if you would do so the result would be a moggie. Yes, the colorpoint pattern came originally from Siamese to Persians long time ago but that outcross hasn't been allowed for decades anymore.

And British Shorthairs got the colorpoint and longhair genes from Persians when Persians were used to save the breed during WWII, but it's not allowed anymore. Again, the result would be a moggie if this outcross would be made today.

Originally Posted by Arlyn

Ahh the Snoeshoe, did they ever get breed recognition?
Yes, it is an official breed. Not just any colorpointed moggie with white. I've seen them in shows few times but they are very rare.Snowshoe

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Ah, the Norwitish Foresthair. The result is typically a polite but pompous kitten that enjoys earl gray tea, dried fish, brown cheese, and lives in an upturned longboat. Often seen watching Doctor Who while wearing a horned helmet.
Wonderful! Thanks for the laugh!

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Ah, the Norwitish Foresthair. The result is typically a polite but pompous kitten that enjoys earl gray tea, dried fish, brown cheese, and lives in an upturned longboat. Often seen watching Doctor Who while wearing a horned helmet.

JK, the result depends on dominant traits but can still be pretty random.

Will have trouble getting that image out of my mind!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Speaking of Siamese, this gorgeous girl fell into my hands yesterday. She was owned by some low-life renters who were getting evicted. When they left (in the middle of the night) they locked her and another kitten up in the bathroom (no food no water) apparently this Siamese turned the water faucet on and they survived. They were found by the real estate agent when she went to check on the house for the landlord. I don't suspect she will be here long, because even being a mix, she is beautiful

Thank God she is a smart girl and turned on the water! You're right. She is beautiful!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amen to that. I had heard before that Siamese are considered the most intelligent naturally occurring breed... and that they will constantly remind you of this fact vocally.