What grain free dry and wet foods do you recommend?

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat likes Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck and Innova Prime Chicken and Turkey dry cat food. He won't eat raw, pate or wet food.  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 He won't eat raw, pate or wet food.  
Just wanted to address this. When transitioning them to a new type of food, it can take a lot more than just offering it. My cats hated wet food too. And I didn't try anything (other than offering them different foods) to get them to eat it. So they ate kibble only for the first few years of their life. When they finally began licking gravy, I incorporated gravy-based wet foods into their diet. But when the boys blocked due to crystals, the vet insisted that I get them eating mostly wet food. They didn't like the prescription pate. Realizing they liked gravy, I turned the pate into gravy by mixing it with warm water. When you NEED to get them to eat a certain type of food, there are certainly ways to get there if you WANT to switch them.

If you have kids and they only like cereal, there are certainly things you can do to help them like salads.

Carolina's kitty, Lucky, didn't like raw either. Took 35 days to get her to even LICK it when coated in a crushed treat she loved. Fast forward five or six months, and she only eats raw food. What your cat eats is up to you, not them.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for all the Help LDG...making the food into gravy is a great idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On a last minute trip to Petco to spend my reward dollars before they exp I picked up 12 diff kinds of wet food for Zelda to try. I thought I should find a good base and feed her that for awhile...as to not jump in to the raw right away. If I can find one wet food shes crazy about then I have something to mix the raw into later. I did find out last night that she loves plain boiled chicken...When I sat down to shred it for tacos she wouldn't leave me alone..she hates all the chicken wet foods Ive tried tho.

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine was a dumpster diver and rodent eater before we adopted him away from the feral life. We found that the stinkier and the more firmer texture the food had the more he decided to want it and then like it. Rabbit, Duck, and Lamb are all very strong foods that former dumpster cats seem to like. My guy doesn't care for pate style unless we mix it with stronger grittier meats and he likes it cold (because it's firmer that way.) For some reason, he doesn't like his food warmed.

In a pinch, I make gravy to pour over if he really resists, which isn't often. I take the gizzards from a chicken or turkey, par boil them in a little water, and then hit it with a stick blender = really stinky good organ gravy. My guy can't resist that.

My guy is about 13 pounds and he eats roughly 3.5-4 oz per day, very small teaspoon size meals about every 5 hours. During the day we aren't home, so he's hungry by the time I walk in the door. I feed a variety of meats and brands and mix them in tiny batches for the week so he gets a different meat every day. I get some expensive food, but I use petfood direct, which always has coupons and I buy by the case cause it's cheaper. I figured out I spend about $9.59 cents to feed him per week. If I want to try something new, I do one-offs at the pet valu and I only buy the little cans so I don't waste any if he really doesn't like it.

I just try to stick with the no-grain varieties and he's allowed to have some fish once a week as treat. He likes BFF tuna and salmon soulmates. But since fish isn't good for every day feeding, it's only a once a week thing, if that.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On a last minute trip to Petco to spend my reward dollars before they exp I picked up 12 diff kinds of wet food for Zelda to try. I thought I should find a good base and feed her that for awhile...as to not jump in to the raw right away. If I can find one wet food shes crazy about then I have something to mix the raw into later. I did find out last night that she loves plain boiled chicken...When I sat down to shred it for tacos she wouldn't leave me alone..she hates all the chicken wet foods Ive tried tho.
Yeah, there tends to be no relationship between canned foods and cooked/raw foods they like. It's the stuff added to the canned foods and the texture that factors into whether or not they like it. :nod:

And actually, that is one of the transition tips. :) Feed kitty cooked meat, just over time, cook it less and less. :)

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tessie gets the Blue Wilderness dry and wet.  She has a sensative stomach and since she has been on this food there is rarely an issue.  She does better on dry food then wet so I only give her a small amout of wet food.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The grain-free wet foods that my cat seems to like include;

Blue Buffalo Wilderness (duck, chicken, turkey and occasionally the salmon flavor as a special treat since fish is not great for cats)

Weruva (just started picking this up, so far I've just tried the Funky Chunky Chicken Soup and Grandma's Chicken Soup and boy does he LOVE these).

Wellness CORE

I've tried EVO, Nature's Instinct and Before Grain as well. He does not seem to like Before Grain as much and he's so so with  Nature's Instinct. I'll have to see if it was a particular flavor he didn't like or if it's the brand in general.

If your cat is super finicky, try the Weruva Grandma's Chicken Soup. I know the pet store clerk said that a lot of people who had finicky cats said they liked this one.

He also likes giblets from a whole organic chicken; have you tried feeding giblets to your cat? 

He took to raw right away with no problems. He'll also eat cut up chicken breast (raw) as well as chicken wings (cut up into three bits to make it easier for him to handle the bone), chicken necks, also ground beef and ground turkey. You'll have to see what your cat will like. 

I'm considering getting frozen whole mice to see what he does with them.

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, another brand of grain-free you can try is ZiwiPeak.  They do an air-dried and wet food line. 
ZiwiPeak cuisine (air-dried real meats) for dogs and cats come with three different choices of meat source: Venison, Venison & Fish and Lamb. ZiwiPeak air-dried real meats contain a minimum of 84.5% meat with the balance made up of all essential vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced complete food.

ZiwiPeak cuisine is also available as a moist food in cans for dogs and cats. There are four different options for dogs: Venison, Venison & Fish, Lamb and Tripe, Lamb & Venison and three different options for cats: Venison, Venison & Fish and Lamb.
I've tried it before and my cats seemed to like it, but it can be a bit expensive.