What food is your go-to food for your kitties?

zerosoma33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been experimenting over the years on what really works for my cat and what doesn't (she will eat anything, literally, she's a garbage disposal! but it's more of my research on how it affects her).

Right now I feed her Taste of The Wild (Rocky Mountain Feline) dry kibble and a mix of Innova (Low Fat, Pink Label) wet food and California Natural (Deep Water Fish, Venison & Brown Rice). I pay $10.99+tax for the ToTW, and $1.90/can on average for the canned food (13.2 oz).

There's so many foods out there and a person really has to find what works best for their cat and doesn't hurt you in the wallet! I always buy my wet food in large 13 oz cans and then I split it up into four or five of those (empty) orange Market Select cups (you can buy them for 50 cents at your local supermarket and they are not too bad for your cat on occasion), wrap tinfoil over the top, store them in the fridge, and then heat them up for 20 seconds when I'm ready to serve it. I garnish it with some nip on top and a dash of cool water to really help hydrate my cat since she's not a big water drinker.

Her coat is so incredibly shiny and silky...I can't believe I fed her JUNK before!!

It pays off if you love your cat and feed them good foods.

So that's usually my plan of action. What do you feed your cat(s) and why?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little confused. Are you feeding cat nip every single meal? Cat nip loses its effect if given too often.

I also feed TOTW, and I go for soulistic wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zerosoma33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

I'm a little confused. Are you feeding cat nip every single meal? Cat nip loses its effect if given too often.
I dash it on once in awhile. Not every meal.

saitenyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed a rotating variety of Primal (turkey, and chicken flavors) and Nature's Variety (chicken, and rabbit flavors).

I ended up switching my cats to raw after doing extensive reading on cat nutrition and different food options. My younger cat, Athena, had bad gas and soft stools from the moment we brought her home, as well as greasy, ratty fur. Getting grain and kibble out of her diet helped a little, but it was finally switching to raw that gave her a complete turnaround. After seeing the dramatic improvement in her health, I decided to continue rawfeeding both my cats, and have never looked back!

I'm feeding commercial raw simply for convenience at the moment. I have an insanely busy work schedule, and seem to live in an area devoid of butchers or asian markets, so I've had little luck finding enough varied organ meats to do full homemade raw. I do give them chunked meat and meaty bones here and there for dental maintenance.

I keep some canned food on hand for emergencies (if I forget to defrost some raw one day for example). My go-to canned foods are Wellness (chicken and turkey flavors) and Merrick (Before Grain Quail and Chicken, and Cowboy Cookout).

Lastly, I keep some Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried raw on hand in case I need to leave food out overnight. Since I absolutely never want to leave them kibble, because of how poorly Athena reacts to it.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats.

Lily came to me on Friskies dry and it has been darned difficult to get her to eat anything healthier. She will not eat canned food though she will suck the moisture out of it and leave the substance. She eats a mixture of Kirklands and Orijen dry (she chows the Kirklands and eats the Orijen only when she realizes there's no more Kirklands) and a little of whatever I'm feeding Walter.

Boo eats the same Kirkland's/Orijen mixture as Lily but she also loves Evo Herring and Salmon so I give her that occasionally as well. She's much like Lily in that canned food doesn't do it for her. She'll eat a little of any seafood canned I give her, and by a little I mean an ounce or two at most.

Walt is 7 months old and we've had him for a month. He came home eating Proplan which I quickly jettisoned (after Lily ate most of the bag). He is eating a variety of Wellness/Avoderm/Evo/Chicken Soup/Merrick's/and a few others all canned. So far it seems that he'll eat anything wet but he's not big on the Evo so I won't buy it again. He also eats 1/4 cup of Blue Wilderness a day. He is not interested in the Kirklands/Orijen mix.

Lily is a perfect weight. Boo could lose a pound. She's only weighs about 7 pounds but she is a tiny little cat. She had to have been the runt. Neither has any health problems. Walt is a growing boy and seems to be a perfect weight for him.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies wet food(turkey and giblets mainly) Fancy Feast classics(pate low carb)
and the rest of the science diet dry I got REAL cheap. Going to an all wet diet but need to finish out the 40 or so bags I have stock piled lol

Wellness for the diabetic cat seems to enjoy it alot! Just came in from a major stock up from petsmart tonight. still have to arrange the cases around the kitchen I guess as use about 8-16 cans a day(ouch) depending on my mood as dont want them to stop eating the dry just yet. Wish the big cans came in more flavors!

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Schweppie needs to eat a food suited for CRF cats. I have to rotate his food because he gets sick of a food easily. In my rotation, I have the Natural Balance's Limited Ingredients foods (Duck, Venison, Chicken, Salmon -all with pea), Hill's k/d (yuck), Royal Canin Renal LP (yuck), and Purina NF (yuck too). I don't like feeding him the Rx stuff but I dont' really have a choice if he doesn't eat other foods. He will eat Almo Nature but it's too high in protein so he only gets it when I'm desperate (i.e. when he refuses to eat anything else). Schweppie gets 1.5 cans a day - 1/2 can three times a day.

My Little Guy eats Go! natural grain-free dry - he gets 1/8th cup twice a day. For canned food, he gets a selection. He likes Nature's Variety Instinct and Homestyle foods, Almo Nature, and Weruva foods. I get all the flavours and just rotate them. He loves the Weruva and Almo - will eat the canned first though usually, he eats the dry first. He gets 1/4 can twice a day.

I have a Drinkwell fountain so all my pets drink pretty well. Schweppie also drinks out of my bathroom faucet as it drips. Usually when I'm brushing my teeth and need to spit.

If my cats had the choice, they would eat the Almo and Weruva foods as they are real meat - or they seem that way anyway. And the go! natural dry.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Three cats here, all Ragdolls. My food set-up?

Dry- is Royal canin selective 40 protein preference and Nutro Indoor Active Health Adult. I use these because there high in Omega 6, my cats mat terribly on foods with lower levels.

Wet- friskies, fancy feast. That is what they will eat, plus since i go for more expensive dry foods something has to give.