What food did you hate as a kid that you love as an adult?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything I didn't like as a kid I still don't like: watermelon and raw celery. There are things that I used to like as a kid that I won't touch now, namely liver
I don't think I realized when I was little that it was actually a liver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The thought of jello is enough to make me gag! It smells good and tastes ok in its liquid form, but once set, blech! The consistency reminds me of snot!
That is exactly what Gary says about flan and crème brulÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e. I like both, and a good crème brulÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e....

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

EDIT: I just remembered one thing I loved as a kid and hate now.....egg nog! My Mom showed me how to make it when I was 12 and after that I wouldn't drink it anymore! Raw eggs!?
I hated it too, and enjoy it now - but never drink it.

Thought of two more: Coffee and Tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't think of anything that I love now that I hated as a child. I still won't eat liver, cooked spinach, brussel sprouts, asparagus, mustard and mayonaise. I've eliminated hot dogs from my diet simply because I don't know what actually goes into them (my dad was a butcher and had horror stories about hot dogs).

I find it interesting that so many people have an aversion to onions and peppers. It's rare that we have a meal without onions, and about 80% of our garden each year is devoted to peppers. Both are a staple in my house.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I find it interesting that so many people have an aversion to onions and peppers. It's rare that we have a meal without onions, and about 80% of our garden each year is devoted to peppers. Both are a staple in my house.
Had, not have.
It has to do with genetics, sensitivity to bitter foods and that sensitivity decreasing with age as sense of smell dulls. Without getting too detailed since a lot of people can't follow that, genetically there's those who don't inherit any sensitivity to bitter foods, those that get both genes for it, and those that get one of each. People that don't inherit at all will be the kids that can eat just about everything, those that get only one gene for it will be able to eat some and later more bitter foods. And those who get both probably never will enjoy many bitter foods. Most people fall in the middle. So basically it's just genetics, kids (and later adults) simply cannot help it.

And yes, now pretty much everything I cook will have pepper and/or onions in it.

daddycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of all the things I acquired a taste for as an adult, the one that surprises me the most is tomatoes. As a child I couldn't stand tomatoes, though I could eat derivatives like ketchup or tomato paste on pizza. I think it was the texture of regular tomatoes that I hated. These days I actually crave them.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I can't think of anything that I love now that I hated as a child. I still won't eat liver, cooked spinach, brussel sprouts, asparagus, mustard and mayonaise. I've eliminated hot dogs from my diet simply because I don't know what actually goes into them (my dad was a butcher and had horror stories about hot dogs).

Gosh, there is nothing like a good chopped chicken liver, creamed spinach, roasted brussel sprouts and asparagus with mustard and mayonnaise sauce! Give me a hot dog at a ballpark with lots of sauerkraut and relish and mustard and I will sing "Take Me Out To the Ball Game!" lol Just don't serve me lima beans!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't think of anything. However, there are things I liked as a kid that I would not touch as an adult.