What food did you hate as a kid that you love as an adult?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thread about fish got me thinking...

I can really enjoy fish now, but wouldn't go near it as a kid (except canned tuna).

I realized there are a number of things I hated as a kid that I love as an adult:

Fish/lobster
Lamb
Goat
Duck/Goose
Broccoli
Asparagus
Eggplant
Green peppers
Zucchini & other squashes
Mushrooms
Lima beans
chopped liver
Foie gras (though we won't eat the force fed)

I did like the stems of broccoli - my dad and I would always trade.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mushrooms i think thats about the only thing i eat everything i did when i kid and thats pretty much everything lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I forgot about brussel sprouts. I hated those too. My mom always used to boil them. Yuck. Gary pan fries them (cut in half) in butter with garlic and parmesan - LOVE THEM.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to pick out the green pepper and onions in anything Mom would make! Now, I have no idea why I did that!! I can't imagine cooking without onions, and green peppers go into lots of stuff I make - salads, casseroles, pastas.

Go figure!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to hate asparagus and spinach when I was little, and now they're 2 of my fave foods!! Yum!

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wait, I take that back. As a child, my mom and I shared a love for beef tongue (I know, gross). We would make cold beef tongue sandwiches to eat and thought we had died and gone to Heaven. Now, the mere thought of eating a cow's tongue makes me want to run screaming from the room

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

I used to pick out the green pepper and onions in anything Mom would make! Now, I have no idea why I did that!! I can't imagine cooking without onions, and green peppers go into lots of stuff I make - salads, casseroles, pastas.

Go figure!
I am the same. It didn't matter how tiny the onion was, I would pick it out but now I have to have them on everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we had this thing in our home where you had to finish everything on your plate or you couldn't leave the table. And yes, we had to eat it if we didn't like it, but we were responsible for our own portions.

However, the battle of wills was such that there were quite a few evenings/nights where I fell asleep at the table... but woke up in my bed.

...and I still feel guilty about wasting any food! (And try not to).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Well, we had this thing in our home where you had to finish everything on your plate or you couldn't leave the table. And yes, we had to eat it if we didn't like it, but we were responsible for our own portions.
My dad and a kindergarten-first grade teacher tried this on me. They quickly learned I wouldn't budge and would refuse to eat entirely and could do so for days on end. Even as a child I never seemed to have the hunger urge - though I do have an appetite.
The way I see it - if it's something I don't eat, then don't put it on my plate! Someone else can eat it and then there's no waste.

I was another one that didn't really like peppers and onions, and especially not raw. BUT there's a very good likelihood that it was how my mother cooked and not the base ingredients that were the problem. She's picky and has apparently never even had acorn squash before or a fresh baby spinach salad.

I'm still very picky about foods. Most of the things I wouldn't eat as a child, I still won't eat now. The biggest issue I have is with food texture. Some textures will make me gag - the thought of eating peanut butter or yogurt
Nothing can fix that problem, not even age.

One reason a lot of people are able to eat foods they couldn't as a child is simply sense of smell. It dulls with age.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I really didn't like as a kid was meat. All I would eat was hot dogs and bologna. Oddly enough, I can't stand either of those things as an adult!

Other things I didn't like as a kid, and still don't like as an adult are: jello and peanut butter. I will eat peanut butter if it's cooked into something, but not just plain. The thought of jello is enough to make me gag! It smells good and tastes ok in its liquid form, but once set, blech! The consistency reminds me of snot!

EDIT: I just remembered one thing I loved as a kid and hate now.....egg nog! My Mom showed me how to make it when I was 12 and after that I wouldn't drink it anymore! Raw eggs!?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated peppers of any kind with a passion, now they are one of my favorite vegetables. I also hated mushrooms and I LOVE them now
Spinach is another one of the foods I couldn't eat either cooked or in a salad, but I was forced to eat it many times, now I'm okay with it
I also didn't like raw onions and raw garlic, but I could eat them cooked or in a seasoning, now I like them either way.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest there isn't much I didn't try as a kid and the only thing I know I like know but hated then is onions, red onions preferably

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
As a kid I liked raw carrots but couldn't stand them cooked. Now it's the reverse. I loved cooked carrots and don't like the raw.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love food so I ate pretty much everything as a kid I still like them now. The only things I didn't like as a kid I still don't like as an adult which are lima beans and peanut butter. For goodness sakes, as a kid I liked all German wursts, pickled herring and brussel sprouts!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I've only become even more picky about food than I used to be.
My diet has been called paranormal (and very unhealthy)...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Liver. I detested liver with a passion as a child. Today I love the stuff. For my sister and I both, our mom will make us liver and onions for our birthday dinners. It's the only time I ever eat liver anymore; I know it's not really good for me. I eat it twice a year, once for my birthday and once for my sister's.