What food are you craving? - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

The big three bad boys for me is grain (all grain, no exceptions 
), white sugar (GMO/pesticide/herbicide), and pasteurized milk (no lactase).  I'm trying to replace the sugar with honey, because honey doesn't make me crazy for more.  Which means I will be cooking more.  And I don't really like to cook because it creates dirty dishes.  

Since I have the day off unexpectedly today, I will be trying "paleo" bread made with almond flour, and also chocolate chip cookies made with the almond flour, honey, and soy free chocolate chips.  (Soy is bad for low-thyroid and so is grain.)  Which means I will be cooking more.  

So today I am craving those low carb chocolate chip cookies.  Hope they turn out good!
let me know how they turn out. I love Choc Chip cookies. 

I may be interested int he recipe...oh, wait!!  I am on a diet.. I should not be thinking abut Choc Chip cookies...

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

let me know how they turn out. I love Choc Chip cookies. 

I may be interested int he recipe...oh, wait!!  I am on a diet.. I should not be thinking abut Choc Chip cookies...
If chocolate chip cookies aren't on your current diet, CHANGE DIETS.  Problem solved!  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After much looking, I can't find the exact recipe I want, so I'm just going to wing it with one that I found. I'm hoping they turn out crispy, not cakey.  Wish me luck!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang.  Forgot my egg and butter have to be room temp.  Waiting patiently!  This whole day will be gone before I get these cookies made.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do taste good.  And at least these don't raise my heart rate like wheat cookies would.  My heart just pounds for about half and hour after I eat wheat.  Very uncomfortable.   I think next time I'll add chopped pecans for texture and a little bit more honey.  The recipe called for one whole teaspoon of salt!  I didn't feel right about that so I cut that in half and I"m so glad I did!  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think there is any way around the different texture when using something other than wheat flour.  A coworker brought in some gluten free brownies once and it was the same thing.  They had a very good taste, were moist, but they were cake like rather than fudgy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A bit too cakey for me.  But they taste good.  
Dang it.  I WAS craving chocolate ice cream...in fact, I cadged a ride to the store and bought half a gallon of Turkey Hill Deep Dark Chocolate, which is sitting in my freezer awaiting the cocktail hour, and now, I'm not so sure...those cookies look really, really good!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dang it.  I WAS craving chocolate ice cream...in fact, I cadged a ride to the store and bought half a gallon of Turkey Hill Deep Dark Chocolate, which is sitting in my freezer awaiting the cocktail hour, and now, I'm not so sure...those cookies look really, really good!
Thanks!  I wish I could give you the rest.  I only made 9, but I've already eaten 4! 

It's safe to say I won't be eating supper tonight.  I'm full.  Isn't that Turkey Hill ice cream delicious?  I love their Natural Mint Chocolate chip! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What to do....

I know, let's ask Dr. Evil!!  

Dr. Evil? Do you have any ideas?? 

Problem solved! When life gives you cookies and ice cream, make sandwiches!  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't think there is any way around the different texture when using something other than wheat flour.  A coworker brought in some gluten free brownies once and it was the same thing.  They had a very good taste, were moist, but they were cake like rather than fudgy.
This being the 2nd batch I've ever made with almond flour, I'm figuring out the same thing. I could try adding rice/tapioca/potato starch flour to firm them up a little bit.  At least it wouldn't be tasteless if half the flour was almond.  
  Back to the drawing board.  I think some finely chopped pecans will help the texture too.  I didn't add them this time because I thought it would taste like nuts overboard!  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What to do....

Oh man are you EVIL!!!  Now I'm gonna have to go to the store and GET that Turkey Hill chocolate Mint chip ice cream!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This being the 2nd batch I've ever made with almond flour, I'm figuring out the same thing. I could try adding rice/tapioca/potato starch flour to firm them up a little bit.  At least it wouldn't be tasteless if half the flour was almond.  
  Back to the drawing board.  I think some finely chopped pecans will help the texture too.  I didn't add them this time because I thought it would taste like nuts overboard!  
Have you tried putting oatmeal into the food processor and making it into oat flour? Oats and chocolate chip cookies go great together. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have you tried putting oatmeal into the food processor and making it into oat flour? Oats and chocolate chip cookies go great together. 
That would be a good idea because i LOVE oatmeal cookies.  But grain tears up my stomach :((  

I really miss them.  Homemade oatmeal cookies are the best!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Thanks!  I wish I could give you the rest.  I only made 9, but I've already eaten 4! 

It's safe to say I won't be eating supper tonight.  I'm full.  Isn't that Turkey Hill ice cream delicious?  I love their Natural Mint Chocolate chip! 
Turkey Hill should be on the list of seven deadly sins.  Well...It sort of is...I definitely lust after it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

What to do....

Verily, art thou a catperson after my own heart!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Pizza! :lol3:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It was coleslaw, but we had some for dinner tonight. Now I want a toasted English muffin, but we don't have a toaster. Slinks off to Amazon..... :lol3:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those craving pizza, I finally got the nerve to try cauliflower pizza!  Low carb and gluten free.  It was delicious!  It's quite cheesy though. You could just eat the crust, it's so good!  So if you're not a fan of cheese, then just search for some different recipes that don't call for so much.  

I started to make a picture of it because it looked just like a real pizza.  And my storage was full!!!  

Status
Not open for further replies.